Blue Ridge by Paranjape Schemes in Hinjewadi, Pune

Last updated: August 7 2017
4010 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : Blue Ridge by Paranjape Schemes in Hinjewadi, Pune

Hello Everyone on IREF.

I have been a silent observer of IREF and specifically the BR thread for around 4 months now. I debated whether to make any posts and this is my first post.

I am an owner in Tower 12. Though I had bought the flat as in investment I was not really connected to it. Since the past 2 months I am more connected as I visited the flat many times and also started receiving emails from the BR society appartmentadda site.

Some feedback for anyone considering to buy at BR:

Positives:
    1. When I had first visited my flat, there was hardly anything around the society. Even for basic necessity you had to travel to the chowk. Now I am pleased to note several shops covering necessities.
    2. The water issue have stabilized and no water issues since past two months.
    3. Also the Electricity backup system works well and I have not heard of anyone complaining of loss of power.
    4. The Beautification of the road from the BR Circle (near SEZ) to the school is in progress and I am sure in few months it will look as good as the road leading to Tower 1.
    5. The boating club is open, though most of the time the boats are unavailable due to algae in the river.
    6. Most importantly, Society is formed for Towers 9-14 and based on emails flowing on appartment adda, we have a very active community
    7. Small play area has opened. useful for small kids.
    8. In general Tenants are treated with respect. As yet no instance observed of any discrimination against them.

Negatives (based on my own experience and recurring themes on appartmentadda forum)
    1. Most flats have sinks clogged
    2. Most bathrooms have plumbing issues. One owner found that builder had used old/recycled pipes
    3. Many flats have issues with slope in the balconies
    4. Many flats have walls with flaking paint due to wetness.
    5. Leakages in -1 and -2 parking levels
    6. Several instances of major leaks. Repair works had to be carried out.
    7. Maintenance has been increased recently. Around 7000 now for 2BHK

There was a suggestion to meet senior management of the builder to complain of issues and demand to tackle these before the new Towers are constructed. Some of these were supposed to be taken at recently concluded SGM but from the MoM there is nothing to that effect. Unfortunately I had to travel to Bangalore that day, otherwise I would have raised hell on the general construction quality issues in the SGM. Anyways, I am keeping that for the next meeting.

One of the thing I observed is that many of the flats in my Tower 12 have similar issues but their owners have never formally complained, even internally. I guess they are very happy or do not want to reduce the value of their "investment" by making problems public.

Some subjective opinions (others may not share the same):
    1. The general interaction of owners on appartmentadda forum scares me. Everyone thinks they are the best and cultured and other are not fit to live in Posh society as BR. Multiple references made on how BR will convert to a "Chawl" because of "these people". Many generalizations on how "Indians" are bad and not well behaved in general.
    2. Recent hostility observed towards to pet owners
    3. Some members hostile to bachelors.
    4. Blaming others without proof. Example: blaming management committee members for lack of transparency and "hiding things" without adequate proof, while themselves not taking ownership of anything
    5. Some people have Owner vs Tenants attitude. Suggestions were made to charge "them" extra for using Gym etc.
    6. Aggressive attitude in email interactions

I am hoping that at some point everyone gets along in a friendly manner and people raise issues in polite manner. I stay in Mumbai and in my current society people get along and cooperate much better. I am not used to so much negativity in personal interaction. I think part of the blames lie with the fact that the interaction are impersonal (example email) and it is easier to blame someone that way than do it face to face.

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Comment

A balanced review;Good show for writing so well.
      I am not having any interest as a flat owner or otherwise in BR but having been following the thread.
      There are few who find only negatives about BR and their negativism is more than balanced by a set of over positive set of people who see only pros about BR.

As far your subjective opinion goesI want to add my views:
      No project is perfect and that includes BR.
      Perfection is again a state of mind.
      Some owners have a superiority comxplex since they are owners and tenants are looked down as a lesser category of people.
      Keeping of pets is permitted by law.
      If pet owners keep their dogs under control and not let them bark all the time or dirty the surroundings,there is nothing much which people who dislike pets much they can do .
      Bachelors are a sore point in many societies due to poor behaviour of this category.
      Everyone conveniently forgets their bachelorhood and what they may have done during those days.(Memory is short and convenient)
      Tenants cannot be charged extra for gym etc.
      Reply to aggressive emails by unfailing courtesy and a smiley
      As far as cooperation among members is concerned in many societies this finger pointing and accusations go on.While they call themselves a cooperative society sometimes their actions make me feel that they should rename themselves as uncooperative society.It is basic human trait.
      All one can do is to be friendly in approach and helpful in actions and be humane towards animals.
      .One can improve himself but cannot change others much.
      But over a period of time,people will unwind and become friendly when they discover common interests.
      Things will improve.
      You will have happy stay at BR(Personally I like BR)
      All the best.
      Last edited by vaibav123; March 4 2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

T12BROwner

Nice review bringing pluses and minuses .

Generally builders make big money in maintenance activities . Owners need to know where is the maintenance money going and an audit should be done every year .

Maintenance is way high - What is the benefit in investing then ?

Comment

Originally posted by vaibav123 View Post
          There are few who find only negatives about BR and their negativism is more than balanced by a set of over positive set of people who see only pros about BR.
          I did indeed go through most of those posts but chose not to pitch in. Now that you mention it, here is my take on those posts ...

The positives and negatives were both right.

The people posting positives lived in Tower 1-6 where are considerably older and more settled. Natural for them to feel positive. It would indeed have been difficult for them to imagine that overall experience could be so different between the two sets of towers.

The people posting negatives lived in Towers 9-14. At the point those posts were made, life in these towers was indeed challenging. I never stayed at BR, but I can well imagine that anyone staying there at that point in time would be frustrated. It is difficult to feel positive when you wake up in the morning and find no water and can't go to the toilet. From a purely "data" perspective, there were no lies posted.

There were some points where I feel both sides were wrong.

The positive folks were owners and not open to documenting challenges, they could have been more open. I have seen hesitance from owners to say anything negative as I have also mentioned in my post above.

The frustration of negative folks was justified, however if the posts were made after the frustration has passed, they would not have appeared as negative. Sometimes taking a few deep breaths helps.

Originally posted by vaibav123 View Post
          Things will improve.
          You will have happy stay at BR(Personally I like BR)
          All the best.
          Thanks. I don't really intend to stay at BR anytime soon. Will mostly keep it for my children. One is due to graduate soon and if she gets a job in Pune the flat will help.

Purely from a personal perspective, I prefer smaller and more "personal" societies of Mumbai than a large township like BR. Everybody knows everyone, even their relatives. I am not sure I will fit in well here.

Comment

Originally posted by suryawork View Post
            T12BROwner

Nice review bringing pluses and minuses .

Generally builders make big money in maintenance activities . Owners need to know where is the maintenance money going and an audit should be done every year .

Maintenance is way high - What is the benefit in investing then ?
            Maintenance is indeed high. However several sub-committees have been formed to analyze expenses and avoid future shocks. I hope that future increases will be fewer and smaller.

I have bought for my children so my outlook is relatively long-term. Also I bought a long time ago before the prices rose so my EMI is much lower and overall I can still afford it.

Anyone looking to buy now and sell later for capital gains would find things a bit challenging, since the high maintenance would increase holding costs ... or reduce net return from rent.

I couldn't afford to buy my own flat now .

Comment

Great reviews.

Personally, I think BR has evolved considerably since its inception. We all knew it was a massive project. What I have noticed is that BR is now not considered "one single family". There are different communities that constitute BR. Without discriminating much, I would say that BR has all type of people - first buyers, investors, middle-class, rich, bachelor tenants, families with children (largely due to school), cosmopolitan & quite a few foreign residents. When you have a scattered class of people, level of expectations are different. We have seen that on this forum many times.

Personally, I think that BR is quite volatile in terms of ups and downs due to new people moving in. I can see that happen for the next couple of years. But eventually, things will settle down.

As for society matters, the towers 9-14 society is fairly new & is going through tough times. Understand that most of BR residents are IT folks & first timers when it comes to society matters. So there is lot of hand holding and learning that happens. On the other hand, tower 1-8 society is quite stable though not perfect. But who said societies are perfect. Based on an article that I read recently, about 75% or more societies actually fail for a large housing complex (100 residents or more). And more than 50% do not follow the standard bye-laws. The new society is barely one year old, so we definitely need to give them some time to settle down.

As for the builder problems are concerned, I agree that it is important for residents to voice their concern. Much of these problems arise in the first few months after taking possession but considering that BR has an extended timeline where people are still moving in buildings that were built 2-3 years back, they are bound to run into issues.

Now, when you put all the above people in a room with different level of expectations & give them a channel to voice their opinion, you should expect chaos. That is exactly what Adda is doing right now. It is human psychology to complain ( I mean we do it all the time on this RE board) expecting that someone will listen to us and resolve the issues. However, I feel that action is stronger than words. That is what BR needs, that is what Pune needs and that is what India needs. Nobody can deny that.

After 2+ years, I still love BR because it still offers me the top 5 priorities for a good home. I have repeated them several times but will do so again for the benefit of new joiners:
              1. Walk to school concept (currently that is the priority for my family). Seriously, parents, this is a big plus. The BR school has improved a lot and done very well. It was ranked 7th out of 300 PCMC schools by an independent study & I can truly endorse that. Not to mention, lot of sports activity with national and even international participation.
              2. Away from city chaos & shops (no pollution except for recent construction activity which is not permanent anyways). Fresh air always when you take a walk near the river or even on the podium.
              3. More space for lesser price (based on when I booked, although it still applies when comparing it with neighboring areas like Baner & Wakad
              4. No tanker water (God knows where the tankers fill water) & reliable power. Since I moved in 2+ years back, there have been less than 10 power outages, most of them because of maintenance. No water issues except when cleaning tanks and other maintenance.
              5. Safe & secure - There is three level security (BR gate, society gate & tower entrance) with CCTV cameras. Parking being under ground, quite secure for children & adults to socialize on podium level. All maids & service folks have to undergo police clearance & are issued gate passes. The community is quite vigilant & there is constant pressure on security to perform better.

I agree with vaibav123 that BR may not be perfect and definitely will not suit everyone but now with 80% occupancy in society 1 & around 60% in society 2, BR's success partly lies in the hands of its residents. It has gone through difficult challenges and survived the difficult times but in the end it is an amazing place to live. I feel that BR's success will define the future of townships in West Pune. Though all townships are each other's rivals, they depend on each other for their own existence.
              Last edited by pnq2012; March 4 2015, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T12BROwner View Post
                Maintenance is indeed high. However several sub-committees have been formed to analyze expenses and avoid future shocks. I hope that future increases will be fewer and smaller.

I have bought for my children so my outlook is relatively long-term. Also I bought a long time ago before the prices rose so my EMI is much lower and overall I can still afford it.

Anyone looking to buy now and sell later for capital gains would find things a bit challenging, since the high maintenance would increase holding costs ... or reduce net return from rent.

I couldn't afford to buy my own flat now .
                Good capital appreciation - but cant help thinking that though an owner , such high holding costs mean you are also a renter for your own apartment now .

I wonder about resales in such societies - prospective buyer will run away just by looking at monthly maintenance cost

Comment

Originally posted by pnq2012 View Post
                  Great reviews.

Understand that most of BR residents are IT folks & first timers when it comes to society matters. So there is lot of hand holding and learning that happens. On the other hand, tower 1-8 society is quite stable though not perfect. But who said societies are perfect. Based on an article that I read recently, about 75% or more societies actually fail for a large housing complex (100 residents or more). And more than 50% do not follow the standard bye-laws. The new society is barely one year old, so we definitely need to give them some time to settle down.
                  There you nail it.
                  - IT folks are generally working long hours. They do not have time for managing society.
                  - Most residents are unaware of State society law.
                  - Big societies (100+ residents) have more needs than a small society.

For such a big gated community, I would hope that professional agencies are contracted for society management. But most members would veto it down because of higher costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sat234 View Post
                    There you nail it.
                    - IT folks are generally working long hours. They do not have time for managing society.
                    - Most residents are unaware of State society law.
                    - Big societies (100+ residents) have more needs than a small society.

For such a big gated community, I would hope that professional agencies are contracted for society management. But most members would veto it down because of higher costs.
                    Sir

They are already paying very high maintenance . How much higher costs do you want ?

I was amazed when my cousin bought in Amanora with maintenance 3200 per month 5 years ago . BR just multiplies that amazement .

More facilities = good = more money - the less agreeable part of this equation seems to be that most of these are IT guys who are not earning high enough but spending too much on housing .

Comment

Sat234,
                      When you buy a flat in a project,it is quite clear that at some time you as an owner should volunteer and join up with Managing Committee.
                      Lack of time is not an excuse or then one has to put up with any defects and problems in the society.
                      Generally all societies have common problems
                      Garbage collection and disposal
                      Water-tanker management,wastage by members
                      Conveyance deed with builder.
                      Incomplete work done by builder while handing over.
                      These problems are fundamental in nature and need involvement of all members.
                      Contracting it out is ok but someone has to monitor the contracted agency also,apart from being expensive.
                      There is no alternative to owners showing genuine ownership by realising that he is one among the many owners who have equal rights.Be ready to work as member of MC if you want genuine change and satisfactory financial management.The attitude of owners to treat MC members as subject to their whims and fancies is the root cause of problems in many/most societies.
                      MC is expected to run society as per rules and regulations.Unfortunately when it comes to ourselves,we have different standards.
                      In my society(where I used to stay and work as Secretary unpaid) we had people who would expect visitor parking to be used for all vehicles from outside,but when it his guest,he expects different treatment-my parking is free now-let visitor enter and park there.(just an example)
                      Double standards mark many people.
                      But we have some Honble exceptions who cooperate in all ways and help in all activities.Such people restore your confidence in group living.
                      That is one reason why cooperative societies sometimes fail to click.
                      One must wholeheartedly support MC as these people are mostly working and still sparing time for difficult work of running a big society.
                      Last edited by vaibav123; March 5 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X