Hereby I will prove how the realty boomers arguments are false.

What are the boomers arguments?

1.) Buy today, houses always increase in value in the long run.
WRONG. House prices cannot increase more than incomes in the long run. This is obvious if you think about it. If house prices go up more than people can afford to pay, buying stops, like it has stopped now.
Even Warren Buffett have pointed out that houses don't increase in intrinsic value. Unless there's a bubble or a crash, house prices simply reflect current salaries and interest rates. If a house is 100 years old, it's value in sheltering you is exactly the same as it was 100 years ago. Then came the maintenance as the house didn't renovate itself. It also has taxes, and insurance - costs that always increase and never go away. The price of the house went up about as much as salaries went up.
To put this is simple perspective, vegetable were costing Rs.5-6/kg when 5 digit salary was a rarity.
Today, the prices have gone up by about 4 times but so have the salaries. So, sounds very much like the reasoning people use now when they talk about how much their father's house appreciated "in the long run" without considering that salaries rose a proportional amount.

2.) Renting is just wastage of money.
WRONG. As said before renting is now much cheaper per month than owning. If you don't rent, you either:

* Have a mortgage, in which case you are throwing away money on interest, tax, insurance, maintenance, costs that increase forever.
* Own outright, in which case you are throwing away the extra income you could get by converting your house to cash, investing in bonds, and renting a similar place to live for much less money. This extra income is sufficient for emergency expenses,retirement etc.

Either way, owners lose much more money every month than renters and that's assuming prices don't correct to very high level & everything is smooth in the economy.

3.) As a renter, you won't have any money left as you will spend them on vacations,cars & hence won't have equity/savings etc.
WRONG. Equity is just money. Renters are actually in a better position to build equity/savings through investing in anything but housing. Renters can get rich much faster than owners, just by investing in conservative stocks & bonds.

* Owners are losing every month by paying much more for interest than they would pay for rent. The tax deduction does not come close to making owing competitive with renting.
* Owners must pay taxes simply to own a house. That is not true of stocks, bonds, or any other asset that can build equity/savings. Only houses are such a guaranteed drain on cash.
* Owners must insure a house, but not most other investments.
* Owners must pay to repair a house, but not a stock or a bond.
* Owners lose their money as house prices reduce. The EMI's remain constant in spite of reduction in rates. At the end of loan tenure, they would have paid almost twice than that of current renters who will buy at logical rates. Keep interest rates in mind. Most of the EMI is not principal amount but interest.

4.) There are great tax advantages to owning a house.
WRONG. Many people believe you can just reduce your income tax by the amount you pay in interest, but they are wrong. Buyers may not deduct interest from income tax; they deduct interest from taxable income. And even then, the tax advantage is not significant compared to the large monthly loss from owning.

If you don't own a house but want to live in one, your choice is to rent a house or rent money to buy a house. To rent money is to take out a loan. A mortgage is a money-rental agreement. House renters take no risk at all, but money-renting owners take on the huge risk of falling house prices, as well as all the costs of repairs, insurance, property taxes, etc.

5.) RE is based on local factors, it's not a national phenomenon. RE of Delhi-NCR,Bangalore & rest of the cities has nothing to do with Pune RE.
WRONG. Lending rates remain the same throughout the country. ALL loans are harder to get. This will drive prices down everywhere.

6.) A rental house provides good income. So, you can rent if you have purchased as investment.
WRONG. Rental houses provide very poor income in hyped areas and certainly cannot cover mortgage payments. Remember there is almost 300% difference between EMIs & rent for the same house.

It's pointless to do the work of being a landlord if you can make more money with no risk, no work, and no state income tax by investing in assured good returns bond.

7.) If owning is a loss in monthly cash flow, but appreciation will make up for it.
WRONG. Appreciation is negative. Prices are going down. It only adds to the injury of already high EMI's.

8.) As soon as prices drop a little, the number of buyers on the sidelines willing to jump back in increases.
WRONG. There are very few buyers left, and those who do want to buy will be limited by increasing difficulty of borrowing now that many house owners are near bankrupt as they don't save anything at the end of the month due to high EMI's.
No one has to buy, but there will be more and more people who have no choice but to sell as their payments rise. That will keep driving prices downward for a long time.

9.) House prices never fall atleast in Pune.
WRONG. If you see the RE scenario of 1996, prices crashed by 50% & took a whole 7+ years to recover.
Exact 1996 scenario may not be there today but strong correction is inevitable across the city.

10.) House prices don't fall to zero like stock prices, so it's safer to invest in real estate.
WRONG. House prices won't be zero, but the equity or the principal amount you paid can be zero or even negative. What you will pay as EMIs later in actual terms is not for the principal amount but only the interest as house prices dip. So, you will be only serving the bank.

11.) Prices will soften gradually, won't crash immediately.
WRONG. Prices are falling off a cliff. No one knows exactly what will happen, but it looks like prices will continue to fall for long time. These are just more manipulation of buyer emotions, to get them to buy even while prices are falling.

12.) The bubble prices were driven by supply and demand alone.
WRONG. Prices were driven by low interest rates and risky loans & good returns for investors in initial phases of boom in 2004-05.
Prices went up, interest rates went up & buyers savings went down. So prices are violating the most basic assumptions about supply and demand.

13.) There is lack of land.
WRONG. Ample of land is available & continue to be even in future in Pune. Sales volume are down. Even in Japan (small country with less land), prices went down. Current prices here are the same as that of 23 years ago. If we really had a housing shortage, there would not be so many vacant rentals.

14.) If you don't own, you'll live in a cheap neighborhood later.
WRONG. For the any given monthly payment, you can rent a much better house than you can buy. Renters live better, not worse. There are downsides to renting, such as being told to move at the end of your lease, or having your rent raised, but since there are thousands of vacant rentals, you can take your pick and be quite happy renting during the crash. There are similar but worse problems for owners anyway, such as being fired and losing your house, or having your interest rate and property taxes adjust upward. Remember, property taxes are forever.

15.) There's always someone predicting a real estate crash.
TRUE, yet irrelevant. There are very real crashes every decade or so. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

16.) Local incomes justify the high prices.
WRONG. The mortgage should be more than your 3 years earning. It is much higher today. Most are already in danger/red zone.

17.) You have to live somewhere.
CORRECT. But that doesn't mean you should waste your life savings on a bad investment. You can live in a better house for much less money by renting during the down slide in RE.

18.) It's not a house, it's a home.
WRONG. Wherever one lives in it is home, be it apartment, condo, bungalow , mansion or house. Calling a house a "home" is a manipulation of your emotions for profit.

19.) If you don't buy now, you'll never get another chance.
WRONG. History proves otherwise.
Here's a beautiful quote from a analyst:-
"The real issue isn't whether you will be stuck being a renter all your life, she says. Its whether you'll get so scared about being shut out that you'll buy at the market's peak and be stuck in a property you can't afford or sell."

20.) It would take major economic recession or a major earthquake that wipes out this area in order for the price to fall by over 50%.
WRONG. Even today, if the prices fall by 50%, there will still be very few people who can buy at this levels due to uncertainty in jobs & most importantly high EMIs. Also, look at the rental rates for equivalent houses. Which loss per month is larger? EMI or rent?

contd....
Read more
12597 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • At Infosys, no salary hikes this time around

The No. 2 software exporter on Friday said it will not be offering salary hikes — as is its wont every April — this time.

This is not the first time Infosys has pulled raises. It had done so in 2008, in the aftermath of the Lehman Brothers implosion and the global financial crisis. Experts said other companies in the sector might follow suit.

At Infosys, no salary hikes this time around - Money - DNA
    CommentQuote
  • Legal Notice to Marvel Cascada, Balewadi

Please see the legal notice served to Marvel Cascada on the issue of land title here -

Article Window

It is for this reason, one should remain alert & hire a good lawyer.
    And I have started to wonder that if builder like Marvel goes this way, then Pune RE is surely going to hell.

To me, I will buy if I get good value & that too ready possession with CC.
    It is really unfortunate that Pune doesn't have even half a dozen GOOD builders :(.
    CommentQuote
  • Weak IT sector growth adding woes to CREDAI

The simple answer is, Hinjewadi will become the epicenter of Indian real estate crisis. As there are already 4 town ship projects running in full fledge since past couple of years & few more to start to add never ending housing supply for investors.:bab (59):
    1. Paranape’s Blue Ridge 138 Acres
    2. Kolte Patil’s I Ven Township 421 Acres
    3. Bhosale’s Megapolice 150 Acres
    4. Kumar’s KUL 245 Acres
    5. Oxford propertis + Knowledge city Lavale 550 Acres
    6. HCC 500 Acres
    7. Vornado -VHTPL
    Infosys said revenue for the fiscal year ending March 2013 would grow 8 to 10 percent, to between $7.6 billion and $7.7 billion -- less than industry body Nasscom's forecast of 11 percent to 14 percent sales growth for the industry.
    The guidance unnerved investors worried about the impact of global uncertainty on India's outsourcing sector, dragging shares of competitors Tata Consultancy Services down 3.2 percent and Wipro down 1.2 percent in morning trade.
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-04/D9U3QUQ81.htm
    Sensex down nearly 400 points on weak Infosys guidance - Hindustan Times
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by khbarilal
    The simple answer is, Hinjewadi will become the epicenter of Indian real estate crisis. As there are already 4 town ship projects running in full fledge since past couple of years & few more to start to add never ending housing supply for investors.:bab (59):
    4. Kumar’s KUL 245 Acres
    6. HCC 500 Acres
    7. Vornado -VHTPL
    Infosys said revenue for the fiscal year ending March 2013 would grow 8 to 10 percent, to between $7.6 billion and $7.7 billion -- less than industry body Nasscom's forecast of 11 percent to 14 percent sales growth for the industry.
    The guidance unnerved investors worried about the impact of global uncertainty on India's outsourcing sector, dragging shares of competitors Tata Consultancy Services down 3.2 percent and Wipro down 1.2 percent in morning trade.

dont u think its exaggeration? india is so large and pune is not even largest city of india, i am sure many more real estate projects are under crises much bigger than biggest project of pune;)

dont u think its exaggeration? india is so large and pune is not even largest city of india, i am sure many more real estate projects are under crises much bigger than biggest project of pune;)

CommentQuote
  • Is this going to be the big one?

Crying wolf one too often got the boy in the proverbial story a bad name and he lost all credibility.

But that was not the fault of the boy who told it like he saw it. It was merely the people's resistance to see what was plainly in sight. The oncoming Tsunami was too much of a game changer to bear and so people preferred to shoot the messenger than take evasive action.

Marlets may be about to slip back into the previous falling channel from Diwaly 2010. We broke above the top of the channel in the recent 1000 point rally from 2 Jan.

But the worsening conditions in Europe (Spain in imminent danger of a bailout which will put crisis mode on all over again) threatens a bad news period much worse than Greece. And, unlike Greece, Spain is said to be too big to bailout. And the Rime Minister there has shown that be has a backbone and can and will take Spain out of the Eurozone.

Meanwhile Greece itself is going in for a snap election as the puppet PM selected by the Bureaucrats of the Eurozone is now realising that the bailout will not work at all and soon he will not be able to live in Greece. So, stating that his job - of bailing out Greece - now being completed, its now time for an elected PM to run the country.

Smart one. Sack the elected PM who wanted to call a referendum (which would have defeated the EU move to bailout), force through a bailout and then get back an elected rep.

News is that Greece got only 7 billion out of the promised 14 billion for the first part of the bailout to repay upcoming debt rollover and had to raid and empty their University Pension system to get the money - which led to bounced Govt cheques.

And then there is Italy, whose rising Bond rates and CDS insurance cover rates implies rising risk of a bailout crisis.

In short, the Euro crisis is back with a bang in a much, much bigger way. And this time the Private Bondholders will be much more wary and thus it will be left to the US FED to once again bailout the Europeans through a Credit Swap arrangement.

The US in the meanwhile is going through a patch with employment refusing the rise and only statistical corruption is allowing unemployment rates to remain artificially low.

The FED is now becoming the planetary lender of last resort - to anyone who needs a bailout. Given that today 61% of US debt creation is not funder by any REAL money - the FED "creates" money out of nothing and buys the debt from Treasury, and given that the FED is now starting to bail out every other country on the planet in crisis, the world is just one step from complete loss of faith in all currencies, total monetisation of debt and possibly a run on all currencies with hyperinflation a real possibility.

If interest rates in the US start to rise that will be the final nail in the coffin for the global financial system.

FIIs - who were the main reason for the Jan/Feb rally - are now looking like pulling out. March results will probably be patchy and Infy seems to be showing some indication of it.

The market looks like being on the verge of a big fall. If 5100 is broken, we may see 4550 levels again and if this test is broken we may see reversal to 4200 level. Extreme distress globally could see a swing as far as 3600-3700.

The job scene will become shaky. After a little while Gold/Silve should rise as they become value preservers of last resort and everyone starts to buy them to protect whatever they have left. When prices are low, its good to keep buying in small lots. This time buy physical even if you have been buying ETFs so far.

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by wiseman

The job scene will become shaky. After a little while Gold/Silve should rise as they become value preservers of last resort and everyone starts to buy them to protect whatever they have left. When prices are low, its good to keep buying in small lots. This time buy physical even if you have been buying ETFs so far.

cheers

While the eurozone situation is worsening, It will impact to global economies as well. And currently no positive sign is there in short future months. If this wave hits India , not only real estate, but many more industries will be affected and will affect Indian economy. :( But I guess, bulls will be still there in RE.:bab (59):

I fear about borowing now but also worry about the savings in bank. It is very hard to see the bigger picture. And buying gold in physicle form is also worrying as I fail to understand effect on ETFs.
    CommentQuote
    Crying wolf one too often got the boy in the proverbial story a bad name and he lost all credibility.

But that was not the fault of the boy who told it like he saw it. It was merely the people's resistance to see what was plainly in sight. The oncoming Tsunami was too much of a game changer to bear and so people preferred to shoot the messenger than take evasive action.

Marlets may be about to slip back into the previous falling channel from Diwaly 2010. We broke above the top of the channel in the recent 1000 point rally from 2 Jan.

But the worsening conditions in Europe (Spain in imminent danger of a bailout which will put crisis mode on all over again) threatens a bad news period much worse than Greece. And, unlike Greece, Spain is said to be too big to bailout. And the Rime Minister there has shown that be has a backbone and can and will take Spain out of the Eurozone.

Meanwhile Greece itself is going in for a snap election as the puppet PM selected by the Bureaucrats of the Eurozone is now realising that the bailout will not work at all and soon he will not be able to live in Greece. So, stating that his job - of bailing out Greece - now being completed, its now time for an elected PM to run the country.

Smart one. Sack the elected PM who wanted to call a referendum (which would have defeated the EU move to bailout), force through a bailout and then get back an elected rep.

News is that Greece got only 7 billion out of the promised 14 billion for the first part of the bailout to repay upcoming debt rollover and had to raid and empty their University Pension system to get the money - which led to bounced Govt cheques.

And then there is Italy, whose rising Bond rates and CDS insurance cover rates implies rising risk of a bailout crisis.

In short, the Euro crisis is back with a bang in a much, much bigger way. And this time the Private Bondholders will be much more wary and thus it will be left to the US FED to once again bailout the Europeans through a Credit Swap arrangement.

The US in the meanwhile is going through a patch with employment refusing the rise and only statistical corruption is allowing unemployment rates to remain artificially low.

The FED is now becoming the planetary lender of last resort - to anyone who needs a bailout. Given that today 61% of US debt creation is not funder by any REAL money - the FED "creates" money out of nothing and buys the debt from Treasury, and given that the FED is now starting to bail out every other country on the planet in crisis, the world is just one step from complete loss of faith in all currencies, total monetisation of debt and possibly a run on all currencies with hyperinflation a real possibility.

If interest rates in the US start to rise that will be the final nail in the coffin for the global financial system.

FIIs - who were the main reason for the Jan/Feb rally - are now looking like pulling out. March results will probably be patchy and Infy seems to be showing some indication of it.

The market looks like being on the verge of a big fall. If 5100 is broken, we may see 4550 levels again and if this test is broken we may see reversal to 4200 level. Extreme distress globally could see a swing as far as 3600-3700.

cheers

If this really leads to HyperInflation in India, what should be a good hedge ? You have already mentioned Gold/Silver. RE has gone up too much, i am wondering how it can rise again to keep up with the inflation!

One more interesting thing, you are advising to avoid ETFs and buy physical Gold. Why ?
    CommentQuote
  • ETF is susceptible to Govt diktat

Originally Posted by realpune
    If this really leads to HyperInflation in India, what should be a good hedge ? You have already mentioned Gold/Silver. RE has gone up too much, i am wondering how it can rise again to keep up with the inflation!

One more interesting thing, you are advising to avoid ETFs and buy physical Gold. Why ?

I remember back in 1970s (or is it 60s?) there was a Govt Gold Bond scheme where Govt took your gold and offered their interest-bearing debt instrument. This happened again in 2001 which failed.

If situation gets dire, Govt can confiscate your gold and give you rapidly increasingly worthless rupees at their fixed price. While you get a few percent returns, the hyperinflation in rupee will soon see your original value become ashes. While the gold which once belonged to you as ETF gains hugely in Govt custody!

Talk about Govt being the biggest robber in town!

This is much easier to raid in the case of ETFs as the hoard is much bigger and stored centrally than to keep chasing every small holder with a few grams of gold.

May not happen, but why take the risk with your asset of last resort.

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by khbarilal
    4. Kumar’s KUL 245 Acres
    6. HCC 500 Acres
    7. Vornado -VHTPL
    +1. And besides Hinjewadi, even following areas have flopped -

> Chakan. First it was MIDC & later airport. Naiknavare project here, Dwarka is a flop show. Some investors bought here thinking they would rent out to MNC cos for stay for their directors, MD etc. Now man, why will MD of major co. in Chakan MIDC will stay at Dwarka project ? :D

> Talegaon. Again MIDC & proximity to expressway.
    Siddhivinayak Vision City is flop & so is the project of Disha Direct (forgot the name). The situation here is so bad that not a single shop got sold & all these have been put on rent. This only shows that even shop-keepers are skeptical of this area.

> Somatane Phata - Hey, is this for residence ? There aren't even warehouses here !!

All in all, in RE boom, builders built at nowhere & buyers followed due to the hype in RE & fancy PROPOSED stuff shown by the builder. But now as all this is gone, these projects are in big mess.

Don't believe me, ask any buyer at Vision City or Dwarka or Disha Direct.

> Chakan. First it was MIDC & later airport. Naiknavare project here, Dwarka is a flop show. Some investors bought here thinking they would rent out to MNC cos for stay for their directors, MD etc. Now man, why will MD of major co. in Chakan MIDC will stay at Dwarka project ? :D

Siddhivinayak Vision City is flop & so is the project of Disha Direct (forgot the name). The situation here is so bad that not a single shop got sold & all these have been put on rent. This only shows that even shop-keepers are skeptical of this area.

> Somatane Phata - Hey, is this for residence ? There aren't even warehouses here !!

All in all, in RE boom, builders built at nowhere & buyers followed due to the hype in RE & fancy PROPOSED stuff shown by the builder. But now as all this is gone, these projects are in big mess.

CommentQuote
  • Khabarilal,

To add what you said, townships like Blue Ridge, Nanded City, Megapolis etc. had come 4 yrs ago & today just handful of buyers have taken possession. The common infra is still pending.

Entire Megapolis was supposed to get completed by early 2013. Today, only Sangri La is nearing completion. Majority of buildings have not even started.

At Nanded City, insiders say that the project will take atleast 2030 to get completed. Think on these lines before jumping in.

Btw, whats the update on Amanora towers 1-10 ?
    CommentQuote

I don't know why someone don't do analysis on what steps Govt's, reserve bank can take to avert this crash like situation(if at all it is there for Indian economy ). Are we assuming these people will not have much tools in hand or not capable to handle this situation or we just making assumption that these people will sit and watch crash happening? Do we know whether they are taking such steps right now? (like reserve bank has done monetary tightening so far to curb inflation etc) Is our current RE market condition is similar to sub-prime crisis USA had few years back?

Wiseman - I'm wondering why you are only making predictions one side. Do you think only crash can solve this issue and there is no other options left which can avoid this situation?
    CommentQuote
  • RBI has cut down the interest rate by 50bps. So it will allow borrowers to borrow at bit cheaper rates. some relief for people who are paying EMIs. Also this move will help to add some liquidity in market.

So as rates are bit down, people might be encourage to take imp decision of booking property.
    CommentQuote
  • Since dec 2011 the repo rate has decrease 3-4 times but not even a single bank has reduced their interest rates.
    CommentQuote
  • BearAndBull

Originally Posted by BearORBull
    I don't know why someone don't do analysis on what steps Govt's, reserve bank can take to avert this crash like situation(if at all it is there for Indian economy ). Are we assuming these people will not have much tools in hand or not capable to handle this situation or we just making assumption that these people will sit and watch crash happening? Do we know whether they are taking such steps right now? (like reserve bank has done monetary tightening so far to curb inflation etc) Is our current RE market condition is similar to sub-prime crisis USA had few years back?

Wiseman - I'm wondering why you are only making predictions one side. Do you think only crash can solve this issue and there is no other options left which can avoid this situation?

I have already mentioned that the Indian Central Bank is perhaps one of the best in the world when it comes to managing the finances & financial policy of our country.

But they are not magicians.They cannot correct the structural issues with our country or the massive structural issues with the global financial system.

So long as situation is getting worse, I should be crazy to say, up, up, up just to make it sound pleasing to other's ears.

When the world bottoms out and start climbing - which may take many years - rest assured that I will be leading the crowd saying bullish things.

For now and for some time to come, I see it as down only. You might also note that, when markets had declined significantly I had called for rally of some substance.

But let us not confuse RELIEF RALLY as a sign of a new bull market. Overall market is still in a down phase.

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by RBagade
    Since dec 2011 the repo rate has decrease 3-4 times but not even a single bank has reduced their interest rates.

Repo rate cut 3-4 times since Dec 11!!!!!

Can you please tell when exactly did this happen?
    CommentQuote