Builders & Real Estate Bulls Theory Proved Wrong

Last updated: November 1 2016
12768 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : Builders & Real Estate Bulls Theory Proved Wrong

Originally posted by vaibav123 View Post
    I am born in India and accept it for all the good and faults.I am part of the faults of the nation.But still with my imperfections would like to do good for the nation and contribute to nation building. By running away to foreign shores saying that things cannot improve we are failing our nation. People pass out from IIT,IAM and such top institutes and for love of lucre work abroad.By all means look for greener pastures but dont forget our duty towards India.There has been a reverse brain drain towards India.
    These NRIs are doing a much better job of helping India than the local politicians. The 60 billion $ in remittance is what is keeping certain cities alive so dont say that NRIs are failing the nation (whether the concept of a nation is still valid in this day and age is another subject)

Sometimes wonder why NRIs bring back so much money as there are tremendous opportunities outside India where money could be made.

Compare this with number of students and professionals going out

The feel of the soil,childhood images and feeling all draw people back to their roots.
    There is more transparency nowadays in India-media,internet and being corrupt is not all that easy. There is change in the air and we must actively and positively do more than our bit towards the positive change.10 years ago we could not imagine Anna Hazare's movement.We could not imagine top leaders getting behind bars for scams like CWG. CIC, EC, CAG have become active and they are no longer show peices of democracy but actually uplift democracy,and transparency. We need to contribute for growth of the nation.
    Change is far too slow and this change has taken place when there has been awesome growth. What happens when there is a recession in India? Will we see the old habits - communal violence, regionalism, social deprivation etc - come back roaring again or will this pace of change continue even then or will people become more selfish in times of a recession?

The current flaws in the system get reflected in the price of RE, the infra and the way people behave with each other.

So on one hand people are ready to accept that there are flaws in the system but curse the symptoms that those flaws display on a daily basis on forums like these.

No one should really be surprised that RE prices in India are going up cause they are pushed by a combination of structural flaws in the Indian economy, the builder - politician nexus, weird laws and power division and emotional attachment of the public towards housing.

Comment

"Sometimes wonder why NRIs bring back so much money as there are tremendous opportunities outside India where money could be made."
      Kerala is sustained to a great deal by Gulf remittances,but bulk of such remittances have been used for houses,commercial areas and not for industry.Now when Gulf countries are becoming slightly more strict about local,there is a problem in hand for Kerala which depends on such remittances to power its economy. Productive use of remittance by building industries-small scale even- has really not taken place.
      In 2010 nearly 2 lakh students went out on India for a degree.We enrich these foreign countries by sending students there and spending money..But they have made multiple conditions which prevent most from getting jobs there after getting their degree.
      There was an article about professionals coming back to india Link:Three lakh Indians working abroad may return to India by 2015 - Economic Times
      Why are Indians abroad moving back to jobs in India? - Shine.com
      "(whether the concept of a nation is still valid in this day and age is another subject"
      People can talk of esoteric concepts of a world without boundaries.USA will get overwhelmed by Mexicans if these concepts are practised in reality.In our context,probably a neighboring country will become underpopulated.
      RE the world over is a subject with immense significance and emotions.Owning a piece of land or a house/flat is the dream of every human being.
      With our system and deficiencies,RE has become a plaything/profitable venture for connected players and price gets manipulated in ways that are not at all reflective of ground reality.
      But here also buyers have become wiser and there is pressure to regulate the industry.Level playing field is a distant possibility, but the nation is moving towards that. Advice by members in forums like this does help.So telling that postings in Facebook and internet forums is not useful is not correct.
      Change always takes time.There are inbuilt mindsets amongst all of us and it takes time to change.As a nation we have been selfish and concerned only about ourselves. And it is in this context,I spoke about "running" away abroad to look for greener pastures.
      Last edited by vaibav123; July 31 2013, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by allnall View Post

Going abroad to pursue better career is not “running away”.. J
        Ppl go abroad and get better in life.. other countries are welcoming these ppl and providing them what our govt cannot..
        People get a chance to become what they want to in their life.. its there right to do so.. they choose not to stay in india and fight for basics all their life.
        Though YOU also have the right to stay back and fight for basic necessities .. all ur life.. ( now u say no I don’t do that.. I am very happy and blah blah blah)

Everyday I spend 2 hours to go home from office.. any many more like me.. and no one bloody cares about that.
        There are electricity cuts everyday at my place for 4 hours..
        A lot of ppl are not getting proper water in their houses..

i dont understand this.. why should i stay in india and fight for just all the basic things in life if i can get what i want from some other place.. thats not my job to stand up for everything that i need and shout... govt should do that..
        agreed, i wish i had got job abroad, would've settled there...

Comment

As Rajeev Srinivasan wrote in this brilliant article, NRIs are better than RNIs (resident non-indian) !!

As the going says, brain-drain is better than brain in drain.

But I dislike those Indians who lose their indian-ness and try to become 'white'. E.g, Piyush Jindal got baptized to 'Bobby' Jindal and Nikita Randhawan converting to Nikki Haley.
          Last edited by jaijai; July 31 2013, 08:05 PM.
          'LIVE FOR INDIA'

Comment

HELLO everyone, this thread has been reeling out for three years now and it has strayed far away from the original argument about buying or renting. Now it is turning into an argument about living or leaving India! By the way I feel that those who liked the initial argument about the advantages of renting must be kicking themselves. GREAT ARGUMENT AND GREATER OUTCOME!

Comment

True...lets get back to the topic....

Given current conditions viz price, infr etc...renting in a good location is better than buying developing areas as development seems to be several years away...also maintenance cost + emi > rent....unless prices become affordable continue on rent. Prices wont rise by 10% every year. Hence save some cash and try to take a smaller loan that u can service for a decade without much headache

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

That's the only way you can get elected in USA, they are very smart and shrewd people who figured out what it takes to get to the top, by hook or by crook. Sorry I don't respect them as Humans and will stay away from them, but would like to become as shrewd as them myself so that I can also achieve the best in everything I do.
                Originally posted by jaijai View Post
                As Rajeev Srinivasan wrote in this brilliant article, NRIs are better than RNIs (resident non-indian) !!

As the going says, brain-drain is better than brain in drain.

But I dislike those Indians who lose their indian-ness and try to become 'white'. E.g, Piyush Jindal got baptized to 'Bobby' Jindal and Nikita Randhawan converting to Nikki Haley.

Comment

Originally posted by jaijai View Post
                  These are personal choices... they because USA citizens and accepted their way of living and also for political gains. In some way it is a bribe they paid but it doesnt affect anyone else but themselves.

Besides, there is a saying - "when in Rome, do what Romans do"... In every society, there are socially accepted rules and if you want to blend in, you need to follow these. I see many Indians taking english nick names (Anand to Andy or Jagdish to Jack) but follow their customs and values within their four walls which is the social norm.

in my opinion, to keep your identity, you can form a group (e.g. maharashtra mandal is everywhere) and meet like minded people BUT while in multi cultural society, it is the best thing to do which is acceptable norm for majority...

On a lighter note, I have no association with MNS...

Comment

As we talk about India & non-India, this may not be directly related to RE but indirectly, surely it is.
                    Eg. The place where I currently stay in Pune, at similar price, I can buy a nice condo even at Seattle !! Rates here have been hiked so much that out of sudden, we feel why the hell so much price to pay for 3rd class quality & Africa like infra (2 hrs rain & road is gone ).
                    In US, just call 911 & see how much time they need to respond. Here, Police won't come even for 45 mins post any incident, mostly because they must be busy in some VIP bandobast duty.

We talk about Indians here & there, in US, Indians are the richest migrants with highest per capita income. Intel, Microsoft, Sun microsystems, doctors, hoteliers, are full of Indians. Even NASA has ample of Indians. Look at the Spell-bee competition, for the last consecutive 3 yrs, the winner is some Indian origin kid.

Problem with India is unless you grease the palms, nothing happens. There is multi-billionaire Indian, who came from village & migrated to West. His village didn't even has school, hospitals etc. & today he wanted to transfer INR 3,000 Cr to build schools & hospitals in his native village, but chaps sitting in Delhi asked for INR 330 Cr cut & he dropped the idea (Ask any Congressman in Delhi about this deal. Part of money was needed to fund a Christian ngo by Delhi chaps). So, even for social causes, if one has to give kick backs, what's the use ??

In Pune, in last few days, there have been atleast 5-6 deaths due to potholes , now who will take the blame for this 3rd class roads ??

Problem in India is there is no accountability, while in countries like US, even Bill Clinton had to appear before commission to clarify links with Monika Lewinsky. Had same been in India, we would need thousands of commissions.

As I said before, VALUE TO LIFE & PROPERTY; QUALITY OF LIFE, both are missing here drastically. Part of my work is such that it involves lot of travel, & I always try to explore even little things. When earlier I was in Germany, the taxi guy took correct route, same was experience even in Malaysia, but in India, rickshaw chaps think as if we know nothing about the city & try to fool us. Once when I said rickshawalla, take me to Kalyninagar, he said there are 2 areas, Hadapsar side or Kothrud side kalyaninagar & then I said how many fathers you have ?
                    If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Originally posted by realacres View Post
                      Problem with India is unless you grease the palms, nothing happens. There is multi-billionaire Indian, who came from village & migrated to West. His village didn't even has school, hospitals etc. & today he wanted to transfer INR 3,000 Cr to build schools & hospitals in his native village, but chaps sitting in Delhi asked for INR 330 Cr cut & he dropped the idea (Ask any Congressman in Delhi about this deal. Part of money was needed to fund a Christian ngo by Delhi chaps). So, even for social causes, if one has to give kick backs, what's the use ??
                      I believe this... Even Laxmi Mittal canceled the project in India.. and now with open trade, many Indian big companies are investing outside India.

My friend tried to run a small food stall in Pune and he had to cancel because he needs to feed at least 10-15 local gundas everyday for free.. excluding the police and other sarkari babus. And this is in a prime civilized area near Laxmi road...

Comment

Tags: None
                      Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X