Builders & Real Estate Bulls Theory Proved Wrong

Last updated: November 1 2016
12768 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : Builders & Real Estate Bulls Theory Proved Wrong

hmm ...

I never said anything about changing name of your father and just to be sure so that you dont point that out, changing the name of city you live in , your country , planet earth, any of that. It is just about accepting and adopting the culture one better identifies himself/herself with either because they are born into it or have spent a considerable time in that culture or society. It can be western, middle eastern, far eastern, martian, I dont care, because it is a personal choice. And if some judgmental mind look it as insecurity/inferiority complex then it is their problem because in my mind everybody should be free to live the way they want to.

Leave you with this
    Merriam-webster defines Assimilating as
    c
    : to absorb into the culture or mores of a population or group.

Originally posted by jaijai View Post
    Will you hide or anglicize your father's name because it looks so quaint or old-fashioned? What if you then move to middle-east among Abdullahs? Will you change your name again?
    Its sign of inferiority complex.

There is a difference between assimilation (where you retains good of both parties) and absorption/digestion (where one party is eradicated to become part of dominant other).

There are many good things to learn from western people like their strong work ethics, honesty and integrity, professionalism, time management, listening skills etc. But it doesn't require one to eradicate his/her cultural identity. Example - we hail Bobby Jindal for his 'Indian' connection but he never does. In fact, he looks ashamed of his Indian connection.
    Last edited by sheeshu; August 1 2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Lenders like YES Bank, Axis Bank raise base rates; middle class at mercy of market forces - The Economic Times

Comment

@Real Acres
        " VALUE TO LIFE & PROPERTY; QUALITY OF LIFE"
        I fully agree that there is no value unless you are a netas or celebrity.The life and limb of an ordinary citizen is zero.On one hand we are all religious and pious in our religious obligations,but fail to do human duties. If this religiosity could be translated into being a good citizen,India would have been vastly different.The man who drops thousands of rupees in hundis of temples etc will not be so generous for social causes.I would prefer to donate to Blue cross or pay for the operation of a poor patient in Sassoon hospital rather than enriching a religious place. During my frequent trips on the "Sinhagad Road" I have seen accident cases mostly skidding or minor accidents.People gather but stand as bystanders. It is only a rare person who takes initiative of calling an ambulance or home number of person injured.People have died on roads due to potholes but will the ward in charge be even asked a question? I doubt it.
        It is another thing that the driver should have been more careful on the road fully knowing that there is actually no road but only holes.
        Quality of life is totally lacking-one rain drains overflow,potholes galore.
        No one questions PMC regarding their failure to maintain roads.No one questions the corporator about why he has failed to deliver basic services. We even vote him back next election for his non performance.
        We need to get out of our selfish and closed attitude and place duty first and then talk of rights.

Comment

The only thought which crosses my mind when I read all these things is:

Why do we pay taxes?

The possible answers to that are:

1) So that some fat neta & his cohorts corner the country's natural assets & sell it back to the country & get paid with the tax collected.
          2) So that the top 10% do not dip into their gold mines (by virtue of smart tax planning), the bottom 70% get free food, water, electricity, election allowance & loan waivers & the middle 20% (we) fund this.
          3) So that our netas can have safe, comfortable & fully free foreign jaunts.
          4) To try & listen to a PM who never speaks, a court jester (Diggi) who shoots off his mouth which we do not want to hear & a Prince & his mother who duck in & out of this country for really mysterious reasons. Maybe for the safe keeping of our tax money?

But, I am a patriot at heart...so I will trudge along. Be it pot holes, no water, electricity cuts, corrupt system... & pay my Taxes diligently. In India, death may not be forthcoming...but taxes surely are. After all, so many lives (as detailed above) depend on our money! Heck, if someone tells me to donate for a good cause...I'll say I already am!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by sheeshu View Post
            hmm ...

I never said anything about changing name of your father and just to be sure so that you dont point that out, changing the name of city you live in , your country , planet earth, any of that. It is just about accepting and adopting the culture one better identifies himself/herself with either because they are born into it or have spent a considerable time in that culture or society. It can be western, middle eastern, far eastern, martian, I dont care, because it is a personal choice. And if some judgmental mind look it as insecurity/inferiority complex then it is their problem because in my mind everybody should be free to live the way they want to.

Leave you with this
            Merriam-webster defines Assimilating as
            c
            : to absorb into the culture or mores of a population or group.
            McCaulay must be quite happy to see his dream coming true - a class of people Indian in blood and color but English in their values, tastes and mores

A handful of Britishers ruled such a vast India...Many indians assisted them and gained personally; they were Brown sahibs. Many opposed Britishers at great personal cost. Of course, its a personal choice for all of us whether we'ld like to be brown sahib or desi..

If one is free to assimilate (or get digested) into other culture, the others are also free to critique such an approach.
            'LIVE FOR INDIA'

Comment

Identity is more by the culture, your own chain of father/grandfather/mother etc., and not just by the life one builds - how successful or not. So assimilation will probably give a great life nothing more & if that is what is most important for an individual then why not.

Not seen too many foreigners (Mother Teresa & such likes of selfless incarnation not considering) who go to other countries (India & others) and are eager to assimilate. Before members start jumping, let me acknoweldge there is not much from a way of life perspective that developing countries like India offer, but what about other developed countries?

Also facts show that other countries residents/corporations are keen to invest in developing countries like India as the growth potential here is in multiples of the developed countries while always retaining their cultural identity.

Comment

'LIVE FOR INDIA'

Comment

Originally posted by Venkytalks View Post
                  I dont recall ever paying a bribe in my entire life in India.

I joined a car driving class and i got my license through them easily but still took test drive. That is the worst bribe i can recall which happened 25 years ago.

One pays a bribe only to break the law. Law abiding people dont have to bribe anyone in India.

I have of course not done many things because bribes were involved, real estate dealings being top of the list.

For a middle class person it is not necessary to bribe unless taking a short cut or breaking laws to get ahead by unfair means.
                  You might one of the lucky few. I didnt take any shortcuts but the amount of time and money spend in travelling was enormous and every time the people in banks, insurance companies, property registration, e-seva kendra, etc.

I can now understand why we have such a corrupt system. The ones who want to get ahead in life have to bribe or break the law or the time spent in getting simple stuff done is unimaginable

Comment

Originally posted by jaijai View Post
                    Example - we hail Bobby Jindal for his 'Indian' connection but he never does. In fact, he looks ashamed of his Indian connection.
                    Isnt that just wonderful. First we curse people who leave the country to make a name for themselves in a foreign land and then when they make it big we try to find some connection between them and us

That happens with every developing culture / country. Sure Kenya is trying to milk its connection to Obama and the Ireland must have done the same when JKF was president

Comment

"Why do we pay taxes?"

WE the common man pay tax out of compulsion-you get salary your tax gets deducted.Story ends.
                      You go to bank-open FD,Bank deducts TDS and we follow by paying balance tax if any- we know that the PAN number is on IT database as having interest income.
                      The fear that we may be questioned by IT always is there in back of mind.
                      It is in the quest to avoid/reduce tax that we value property lower,take cash and beat the system.
                      The top 10% of people have means to evade tax-business will run in loss while they own yachts/aircraft and holiday in Switzerland.
                      Bottom 70% are out of tax network anyway. and the middle class gets the squeeze every time.
                      But there are many who genuinely believe that they should pay their taxes correctly and live proudly with whatever balance they have after being taxed.
                      But the moral question of how our taxes are used no one answers and no one is accountable.The formidable government machinery-supervisory checks,audit,CAG wither away in the face of political mismanagement.
                      No one wants to change the tax systems, and make the net so that it catches all the right ‘fish’,because is not an easy task or a decision which can be taken as the decision makers themselves are the problem.

Comment

Tags: None
                      Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X