Collapse

Park Xpress by Pride Group in Balewadi, Pune

Last updated: August 13 2017
230 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Park Xpress by Pride Group in Balewadi, Pune

Yes I agree with you Deepti. Nobody knows which action should be taken from buyers. But surely first action is to get together. As i read above we can not share personal information here. So if some of you guys who have right to do PM please message me. I have even try to contact some of the buyers and waiting for there reply.
    Last edited by Malvish; August 5 2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I would suggest creating a google group & then share that information. You could even post about the group on the Pride Purple Facebook forum. I already see few folks talking about it on facebook. Too many different channels is also not good.

Comment

https://www.commonfloor.com/pride-pa...d&sv=undefined

This one is also a good option. Sign up and add this community of Park Xpress phase II then see your neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepti2016 View Post
          Other buyers into this project are most probably be checking online daily for any new information from any source. I feel, with IREF being quite a trustworthy source for info, maybe we can start a discussion here specially for that, to arrange a tentative meeting day and time (on-site) for all who can come. This may help getting people together easily and without having to share any personal information here online.
          While it is a good idea to check for news everyday, one must not trust newspapers completely as builder lobby is very strong and will ensure that too much real(negative) news does not hit the headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangesh793 View Post
            Yes I agree with you Deepti.
            Nobody knows which action should be taken from buyers. But surely first action is to get together.
            As i read above we can not share personal information here.
            So if some of you guys who have right to do PM please message me.
            I have even try to contact some of the buyers and waiting for there reply.
            You also need to have the option for PM so that I can contact you...!

Comment

Okay, so now I'm going to be logging into Common Floor as well henceforth!

Comment

Maybe I am really wrong here but I need to understand ... centering material means those plywood planks and bamboos and steel rods that they use to support the concrete, right? Does that imply bad cement was used for the whole building as well?

There was some suggestion in the newspaper reports that a third party audit should be done for quality and structural check. How would we go about it?

Is there anyone here with some technical know-how about building a building? Such a big project with bad cement feels like a nightmare ... BUT does bad centering material automatically mean a weaker structure? I am concerned because I have a flat here and nowhere to turn to for factual ground info about what will happen now as well as all these engineering basics!

Comment

Slab got faulty shuttering support, state tells court
                  Slab got faulty shuttering support, state tells court - Times of India

Was going through the same. Is this just the blame game now?
                  Last edited by Malvish; August 5 2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepti2016 View Post
                    Maybe I am really wrong here but I need to understand ... centering material means those plywood planks and bamboos and steel rods that they use to support the concrete, right? Does that imply bad cement was used for the whole building as well?

There was some suggestion in the newspaper reports that a third party audit should be done for quality and structural check. How would we go about it?

Is there anyone here with some technical know-how about building a building? Such a big project with bad cement feels like a nightmare ... BUT does bad centering material automatically mean a weaker structure? I am concerned because I have a flat here and nowhere to turn to for factual ground info about what will happen now as well as all these engineering basics!
                    Deepti -
                    This is what I meant by not buying into news that float around.
                    Centering material includes the steel and wooden supporting plates and props that hold the concrete when it is casted. It is removed once the concrete gains enough strength. By putting the blame on poor centering, these people have shifted the responsibility of collapse lowest down in the chain of people working on the project. In this case, it is the centering contractor.

Even assuming that centerring material was bad, mostly the same props and plates were used for entire building (and even entire project). Poor centering material can lead to deformation in the slabs/beams/columns when they were casted, and microcracks, leading to structural weakness/vulnerability.

There are many steps in ensuring the quality of RCC.

Once the steel reinforcement is setup, before the slab is cast, the structural designer is supposed to check that it is as per design. He also checks the centering.

When a slab/column is being casted in concrete, cubes of the same concrete mix are casted alongside. These are tested for compressive strength after 3 days, 7 days, 21 days and 28 days to ensure that the concrete has attained the design strength. This testing needs to be done by an independant lab. It is assumed that the actual slab would have attained the same strength that is provided by crushing the test cubes.
                    You can ask builder to produce these reports. (I can almost bet that no such testing was conducted).

There are many other tests on the raw material used for concrete, such as presence of soil in sand, grading of sand, etc; also the concrete mix design... but most of these are alien concepts to builders.

Coming to After the fact testing... i.e. RCC work is completed (as in this case), the following things could be checked:
                    1. reports of concrete cube testing from independant lab
                    2. structural designer's verification report (produced before slab is cast)
                    3. There are many non-destructive tests (NDTs) that can be conducted on the structure to ascertain its robustness. This has to be done by labs. There are many such consultants, but need to ensure they are not builders' people. :-)

Point is NDTs are conducted on structures that are 30-40 years old, to find out how long they will stand. It is unfortunate that such tests have to be conducted on a brand new building. It's a shame.

It's like asking a car buyer who bought a brand new car from dealer, to get it certified for safety from mechanic.

Hope I answered your question, at least in part. Will be happy to extend any further gyaan.

Comment

• Re : Park Xpress by Pride Group in Balewadi, Pune

Wow, thank you for such a detailed and clearly written post. For lay people, and esp. the buyers into this project who are still trying to figure out what is what, this is very good information. You have the knowledge and the patience to convey it!

I agree that asking for NDT to be conducted on a new structure is indeed a shame. That people died during its construction is appalling. These were poor workers, dependent on the instructions given to them and the materials provided to them ...

I think we basically need to form an online group and try and keep a tab on things as they are really happening rather than just relying on newspaper reports which are speculative and/or doctored. And we need to find a way to make sure that if an NDT or another structural integrity test is carried out, it has to be done through an impartial and trustworthy agency. Seems too huge an action to do, we don't even know where to look and begin!

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X