What are the problems that one could face in a high rise floor flat above which only terrace is there

Some that came to my mind –

1.x09Flat would be hot during summer
2.x09Seepage problems if after rains water accumulates at few points on the terrace
3.x09Lift fails (Then equal to a dead duck!! :) ) Mitigated if backup generator is there

Any more pointers?
Read more
29 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by kalzav
    What are the problems that one could face in a high rise floor flat above which only terrace is there

Some that came to my mind –

1. Flat would be hot during summer
    2. Seepage problems if after rains water accumulates at few points on the terrace
    3. Lift fails (Then equal to a dead duck!! :) ) Mitigated if backup generator is there

Any more pointers?

1.Maximum evacuation time needed as compared to others in case of emergencies like fire, earthquake etc.
    2.Higher electricity bill due to excess usage of AC in summers ( I live in top floor in an independent house).
    CommentQuote
  • Well common- there are few advantages too- and remember floor rise is concept well thought over- Yes - it does depend on the project/society/infra

Another -ve
    - You would see crack developing sooner in a top floor flat ( Heat)
    CommentQuote
  • kalzav - There are few more threads on this same topic - both in Pune and Noida section. You will find multiple views there. Kindly continue the discussion in those relevant threads so that all views are consolidated.

Request mods to merge the thread.
    CommentQuote
  • I see advantages first:

1. Quickest access to terrace. This is really a major benefit for top floor residents.
    2. Lots of privacy (depends on person to person basis)
    3. No disturbance or noise coming from people living on top of your floor(since there is no floor above you :D ). 2 major nuisances are loud music and foot-steps noise
    4. No mingling of wi-fi channels for 2.4 Ghz band router (90% of us use 2.4 Ghz bandwidth routers only)
    5. Clear phone network reception
    6. Once in a day you can try climbing stairs. Keeps you fit :D
    CommentQuote
  • In all I believe best flat in any apartment are the one's immedately below top floor.
    CommentQuote
  • Cons

1. Just like first floor in the top floor extra care has to be taken to grill balconies etc..
    Its easier for burglars to come down from terrace!!!
    2. Heat
    3.seepage
    4. dependency on lifft

Pros

1. Ventilation
    2. Lighting
    3. View
    4. Easy access to terrace.
    CommentQuote
  • 01. Water Mgm - Rain water leakage - u will be busy how to handle h2O leakage in rains..
    02. Meditation - Cut-off from the local population / noise and crowd
    03. Higher Feeling - Develop "superior" complexity feeling to rest of population
    04. Go Green - Fresh air and less air/ noise pollution
    05. Good Health - Opportunity to exercise by using staircase
    06. Improves communication Skills - develop PR with neighbors - they will show "symapthy" to u when power failure happens & ur climbing staircase. u can go to their homes and rest before ur upward journey.
    07. Better Time management - u will ensure the shopping list is ready when u leave to shop - buy everything needed in one visit to market.
    08. Better Vision - of the surrounding slums / ghettos etc
    09. Guest Mitigation - Quick Access to terrace in case of unwanted guests..
    10. Improves networking skills - u make more friends as u can quick access to terrace for year-end, birthday or any such "exotic" parties.

Let me know if u need to know any more benefits...
    CommentQuote
  • top floor advantage/disadvantages

One disadvantage I can add is that you pay more by paying for floor rise.
    Security is a concern,since all sort of cable guys,dish antenna people will keep going up and making noises.You may be close to the lift room which will add to noise level.
    If seepage develops for top floor users,the society will have to pay for repairs.This is an advantage arising out of a disadvantage.
    God forbid if the builder gets sanction for more floors,then the topmost floor owner will have a tough time.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    Security is a concern,since all sort of cable guys,dish antenna people will keep going up and making noises.You may be close to the lift room which will add to noise level.
    If seepage develops for top floor users,the society will have to pay for repairs.This is an advantage arising out of a disadvantage.
    God forbid if the builder gets sanction for more floors,then the topmost floor owner will have a tough time.

Hi,

Considering the list of negative factors of top floor flats ,are these available at discount in comparison to other higher floor floors?

One needs to convince builder during negotiations, if one has to opt for top floor.

In Mumbai, where it rains heavily ,water seepage in top floor flats is sureshot phenomina sooner or later.
    CommentQuote
  • arre top floor to kabhi nahi - biwi se panga hua to ya to wo kood jaayege ya to hubby - na baba na kabhi nahi
    CommentQuote

Only when Conveyance Deed of society is not done. If done, builder will have no right in the society :-).
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by psameer
    In all I believe best flat in any apartment are the one's immedately below top floor.

any pointers you or anyone else can share to support this ?

Originally Posted by simsagar

09. Guest Mitigation - Quick Access to terrace in case of unwanted guests..

this can be the case with any floor

10. Improves networking skills - u make more friends as u can quick access to terrace for year-end, birthday or any such "exotic" parties.

not really an advantage unless you get your tables, chairs etc on terrace..

Originally Posted by vaibav123
    You may be close to the lift room which will add to noise level.'\

There is always one-lift distance over the top floor. So not an issue.

this actually takes a lot of time to get approvals from society..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by psameer
    In all I believe best flat in any apartment are the one's immedately below top floor.

:o I think the general trend is otherwise. Have been to quite a few societies to see if there are any new ready to move residential apartments. Almost all are vacant in the top floor only
    CommentQuote

Not in case of the society i am looking at :D All flats are equal in the eyes of the builder :bab (59):

Oh.. Didn't know this. Is this the norm in Pune?
    CommentQuote
  • higher floor rise

Originally Posted by kalzav
    Not in case of the society i am looking at :D All flats are equal in the eyes of the builder :bab (59):

Oh.. Didn't know this. Is this the norm in Pune?

Many builders charge an increasing amount as you go up.
    As far roof leakage and repair charges i give a question and answer

Home > Property & Interior > CHS responsible for ‘leakage’ repairs
    CHS responsible for ‘leakage’ repairs

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Firstly, my flat’s walls get wet during the monsoon, I have made written representations to my society several times but they never respond.I pay my dues well in time. What legal action can I take against my society and how can I get my problem solved?I had purchased my flat in 1992 when I was unmarried and living alone. As a matter of security, I had put my sister’s name as the second name in my flat. Now I am married and I desire to remove my sister’s name to which she has absolutely no objection. Kindly provide advice on the procedure to be followed.
    — Jagdish Aswani

Firstly, under Bye-law No. 160, the following Repairs and Maintenance of the Society’s property shall be carried out by the society at its cost:
    a) (i) all internal roads (ii) compound walls (iii) external water pipes (iv) water pumps (v) water storage tanks (vi) drainage lines (vii) septic tanks (viii) stair-cases (ix) terrace and parapet walls (x) roof of flats (xi) staircases lights (xii) street lights (xiii) outside walls of the building/buildings (xiv) all leakages of water (xv) electric lines up to main switches in the flats and (xvi) lifts if any (xvii) roofs of the flat and ceiling and the plaster thereon on the top floor on account of the leakages of the rain water through the terrace.
    I hope this helps
    CommentQuote