What are the problems that one could face in a high rise floor flat above which only terrace is there

Some that came to my mind –

1.x09Flat would be hot during summer
2.x09Seepage problems if after rains water accumulates at few points on the terrace
3.x09Lift fails (Then equal to a dead duck!! :) ) Mitigated if backup generator is there

Any more pointers?
Read more
29 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • The floor rise concept is there especially with reputed builders i feel. However its not prevalent everywhere..

Thanks for the article buddy. Informative!!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by kalzav
    :o I think the general trend is otherwise. Have been to quite a few societies to see if there are any new ready to move residential apartments. Almost all are vacant in the top floor only

That's what , In ready to move apartments top floor flats usually are least in demand ( my view ), whereas the one immediately below top floor are the most desiarable. I have been to few ready to move apartments usual scenario is top floor flats & the ones on (top floor - 2 ) are available.
    CommentQuote
  • Is there anything can be done to reduce heat in top floor? I think there are some kool and seal prodcuts in market to reflect the heat from ceiling, has anyone tried this?
    Excuse me if this is diverting the thread..Thanks!
    CommentQuote
  • heat reduction in top floor flats

Originally Posted by gaikwadp
    Is there anything can be done to reduce heat in top floor? I think there are some kool and seal prodcuts in market to reflect the heat from ceiling, has anyone tried this?

We have now moved from problems in top floors to solutions
    You can consider false ceiling(plaster of paris) in your flat if feasible,considering your electrical points and other inside structures etc.
    Coating the area above your flat with white cement
    Potted plants and thick curtains
    Link to one site (may be useful)

Thermal Insulation of Home.

)Small thatched roof on your terrace if society will permit.
    Painting of reflective coating in area directly above your flat
    AC will be effective to great extent but bill shoot up.
    All these ideas can be considered to help reducing heat but will add to expenses..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gaikwadp
    Is there anything can be done to reduce heat in top floor? I think there are some kool and seal prodcuts in market to reflect the heat from ceiling, has anyone tried this?

I have tried this paint. It works (but not so effectively)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vjosh2
    Hi,

Considering the list of negative factors of top floor flats ,are these available at discount in comparison to other higher floor floors?

One needs to convince builder during negotiations, if one has to opt for top floor.

In Mumbai, where it rains heavily ,water seepage in top floor flats is sureshot phenomina sooner or later.

Dehradun is india's no2 in receiving rainfall..
    and in dehradun thr are PLCs for top floors..
    CommentQuote
  • I'm also finalizing a flat on Top Floor!

Top floor Disadvantages and it's possible solutions

1) Excess Heat
    Sol'n :- POP , Thermal sheets in POP, A.C.

2) Water leakage / seepage due to rains
    Sol'n :- applying Dr. FixIT during flooring of terrace (may be, I am not sure abt when it can be applied)
    OR
    If society decides, they can put shades on terrace (Patra), it will protect from rain as well as excess heat

3) Rain water into private terrace
    SOl'n :- Fiber shades can be used, which are flexible

4) Security
    Soln :- Grills to windows (builder provides it), Grills/collapsible door to gallery/your terrace doors.
    5) Inconvenience due to Lift failure :
    SOl'n :- No Solution, use staircase and get elavator repaired

6) Delayed delivery of daily newspaper / milk (it's minor I think)

7) Water taps in home will not give you water when more number of taps open in the below floors.
    Sol'n :- I think, Usualy top floors get saperate water connection.

Its more problematic for common solar water heater pipes.

8) Issue for DTH service during rainy season, service might almost terminate due to no signal
    Sol'n :- Can't think of any :o

Advantages :

1) Better view / ventilation / privacy (no body comes to you for asking address)
    2) Easy accessibility to top terrace
    3) Less noise more peace :D
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Abhishek Agg
    Dehradun is india's no2 in receiving rainfall..
    and in dehradun thr are PLCs for top floors..

Cant really compare mumbai weather with Dehradun.Mumbai is near sea shore,very humid ,practically no winter and heavy showers during Monsoon.

In Mumbai people will avoid top floor due to water seepage problems. It is very common in Mumbai to do various roof tratments before monsoons to minimise this issue. Problem may not be evident during initial life of buildings but sooner or later it happens.
    CommentQuote
  • I love my top floor :))

What a discussion mates - if you like it - buy top floor, else there should at least be ground floor to choose.

I honestly think everything is covered in this thread.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vjosh2
    Cant really compare mumbai weather with Dehradun.Mumbai is near sea shore,very humid ,practically no winter and heavy showers during Monsoon.

In Mumbai people will avoid top floor due to water seepage problems. It is very common in Mumbai to do various roof tratments before monsoons to minimise this issue. Problem may not be evident during initial life of buildings but sooner or later it happens.

Weathr of mumbai n dehradun cannot b compared ofcourse bt pros n cons remains almost same..acc to me heat n rains cud b a mattr of concern for top floor othrwise top floor has more advantages..
    I ws abt to buk a top floor in highrise bt gt one below top as it gt booked in d mean time..
    N i m happy coz it wil hav almost al advantages of top floor +no heat and water prob..
    CommentQuote
  • Access to Terrace

Well everyone on this thread lists "Quick access to Terrace" as advantage.

I'm not quite sure of this, as many societies including mine lock it up due to security & safety issues.
    You have to go to the society office and ask for keys,some of them even charge 50/100 Rs as advance which is refunded back once you return the key.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by alok_kumar
    Well everyone on this thread lists "Quick access to Terrace" as advantage.

I'm not quite sure of this, as many societies including mine lock it up due to security & safety issues.
    You have to go to the society office and ask for keys,some of them even charge 50/100 Rs as advance which is refunded back once you return the key.

dude.. make a duplicate.. costs you Rs 15 only :D

most of the times, answers are hidden in the question only ;)
    CommentQuote
  • CommentQuote
  • Pros
    1. View/better lifestyle
    2. Fresh Air and less noise for Meditation
    3. Bug free life
    4. Sun Light
    5. Access to Terrace
    6. Full mobile network

Cons
    1. Dependency on Lift. Solution:- Power backup
    2. More Heat. High electric bill. Solution:- False Ceiling with thermocol/mineral wood etc
    3. Wall damage/ Seepage in rainy season. Solution:- Good builder less problem.
    4. Bee Hives. Solution:- If its in society then comes under maintenance.
    5. Maximum evacuation time. Solution:- Be spiritual.
    6. Less resale value. Solution:- Do an MBA.
    CommentQuote