Water shortage Courtesy Society watchman

Last updated: December 20 2012
13 | Posts
1759 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water shortage Courtesy Society watchman

Recently there was actuate shortage of water in our society , while neighboring societies did not face any water shortage , only our society was facing this issue. So we enquired PMC ward office , visit the pumping station and confirmed that there is no Shortage or water cut in our area, still we did not got enough water and need to borrow minimum 4-6 takers a day. Expanses of one tankers was around Rs 350 and avg 6 tankers cost society Rs. 2100 a day So we decided to investigate the matter and findings were shocking.

Our society watchman used to turn off the main PMC water supply cock for an hour or so, to create artificial water shortage and in return he used to get some money from tanker guy.

Since entire water management is in the hand of watchman, he take advantage of it and used to turn off the main PMC water pipeline cock. Water used to come at 4 am in morning and last till 8 am and this watchman used to switch it on late or switch it off after an hour or so.
    Then we locked the main cock and one responsible member is switching ON/OFF main PMC water pipeline cock now .

So be aware of watchmans , they get good amount from tanker lobby to create artificial water shortage.

Re : Water shortage Courtesy Society watchman

Slightly out of context, but similar situation in Kumar papillon. Lots of petrol thefts are regularly happening in this apartment complex. The watchman stands just 15 feet away from vehicles whose petrol is being taken out. But, surprisingly he has never "seen" anyone.
    My thought - "We are limited in our extent of being corrupt by our opportunity to be corrupt" holds true!

Comment

watchman

The act of the watchman is despicable so to say the least. But we need to look into ourselves also. Most societies hire the watchman by his wage demand. You pay Rs6000 and expect black cat commonado style watchmen.Society members treat these illiterate guards with disdain at times.
      Many societies wont even provide a bathroom/toilet for their watchmen and expect them to go round the corner and such societies will be vociferous in condemning public urination and dirt.For survival they become corrupt.It is no excuse,but that is how the cookie crumbles.
      We allow old men to become watchmen as long as our security bill is minimum.
      No watchman is going to take panga with thieves. I would be happy if they at least whistle loudly and make a noise on sighting such elements. Who will look after their medical expenditure? Recent case in Hadapsar where a watchman was murdered in revenge for catching a thief comes to mind..Fear is the key to the actions of watchmen when they spot robbers,thieves etc.
      Solution to some extent lies in hiring better type of security guards after checking with previous societies etc.
      Pay them better and have at least a pair of guards.
      Security comes at a price.Are we ready to pay it is the question?
      Last edited December 18 2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Very well said Vaibhav, completely agree. And that 6k for black cat commando was true & hilarious . Well said.
        The society where I stay has different people looking after housekeeping & maintenance of society. One guy looks after cleanliness & lights, other for water pump, generator & lifts. And there is society manager with office boy who look after administrative work alongwith things like filling up forms for spraying that anti-mosquito smoke (don't know what it is called as). The watchmen duty is to just man the gate (2 at entrance), 2 inside & 1 does patrolling.

Kumar Pappilion guys should install a CCTV system. It has been seen that where CCTVs have been installed, petrol thefts & others have dropped by atleast 95%. And I am 100% sure that petrol is being stolen by someone who comes on premises regularly. Check for newspaper guy, milkman guy, gardener etc. In my previous society, petrol was being stolen from bikes by a driver of a resident. Check this too.
        If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Agree with watchman thing. In our society tanker used to empty only half of water into the underground tank and used to leave. After some time, same tanker used to come and empty other half...So basically providing one tanker of water in the price of two. They used to pay watchman some amount who makes the entry of tankers. After it came into notice, we had to change the security guards and now they have provided a camera to click photographs of tanker number, full tank and open tanker knob with no water coming out when they leave. All these with date and time in the photograph. Society in charge would examine all photographs weekly.
          These tanker guys and watchmen are so innovative...I'm sure one day they will find some solution to this also

Comment

Originally posted by md12345 View Post
            Agree with watchman thing. In our society tanker used to empty only half of water into the underground tank and used to leave. After some time, same tanker used to come and empty other half...So basically providing one tanker of water in the price of two. They used to pay watchman some amount who makes the entry of tankers. After it came into notice, we had to change the security guards and now they have provided a camera to click photographs of tanker number, full tank and open tanker knob with no water coming out when they leave. All these with date and time in the photograph. Society in charge would examine all photographs weekly.
            These tanker guys and watchmen are so innovative...I'm sure one day they will find some solution to this also
            Thanks for these inputs guys. if you could share the details of the tanker services, others can also check if they aren't being fooled by the same guys!

Comment

Tanker operator

Originally posted by ninjatalli View Post
              Thanks for these inputs guys. if you could share the details of the tanker services, others can also check if they aren't being fooled by the same guys!
              Thess kind of tricks are eyeopeners. tricks to defraud are numerous,methods devious,category of people will invariably poor ill paid employees in connivance with society guards who look to increase cash in hand by such means,estate managers who may be more ambitious in entering into longer term arrangements for side money without much risk.If caught the tanker driver gets the can.
              Therefore knowing the name of the tanker service operator will not help.Rather finding out if exceptional tanker operators are there who decline to cheat with quantity of water.
              Solutions are there but difficult to implement and will need society members active involvement which is difficult due to shortage of time or unwillingness to take extra trouble of checking,noting down things etc.
              All tankers should come during day time and some resident should check water and supervise transfer of water.

This problem is all the more serious when builder is running the society.he will not really bother about the quantity of water and his lower level staff on site have a nice time, as payment is being done out of maintenance charges collected in advance.
              CCTV strategically placed will help to some extent..
              Use these links to calculate quantity of water.Tank Volume Calculator

Comment

Although I agree with the fact that quantity of the water and its usage should be strictly monitored, I would like to bring to notice an even more bigger issue which is the water quality. How many of us disinfect our water storage tanks on a regular basis, I was one of the ignorant ones until recently when my son fell ill of Dengue. It was tough. So, as I was researching online I came across some of the important points to know and the process that should be followed. Sharing those with you guys, hope this helps. I am not able to paste the full article on this, so I am only stating some points. For more you can refer to Tips to Disinfect Water Storage Tanks

Did you know that about 60% of the diseases are caused by contaminated water among adults as well as children?

Important considerations: You should ensure that your water tank should be easy to clean.
                Drain out the water: Once you have taken care of the initial steps, drain all the previous water from the tank or store it in a container for different use.
                Scrub the internal surface: Once the water is completely drained out, you have to start the scrubbing procedure.
                Sanitation: It is advisable that you sanitize your water tank at least twice in a year during the mid-summer and early winter.
                Volume of the tank: You need to make sure that you measure the volume of the water in the tank before you add chlorine to it.
                Through cleaning: It is very important that you do a thorough cleaning of the water tank corners and ensure that no dirt or the added chemicals are left in any of the corners
                Flushing and washing the tank: For washing and flushing the tank, you will require a pressure hose pipe or a water jet.

Comment

water quality

Originally posted by rockarao View Post
                  Although I agree with the fact that quantity of the water and its usage should be strictly monitored, I would like to bring to notice an even more bigger issue which is the water quality. How many of us disinfect our water storage tanks on a regular basis, I was one of the ignorant ones until recently when my son fell ill of Dengue. It was tough. So, as I was researching online I came across some of the important points to know and the process that should be followed. Sharing those with you guys, hope this helps. I am not able to paste the full article on this, so I am only stating some points. For more you can refer to Tips to Disinfect Water Storage Tanks

Did you know that about 60% of the diseases are caused by contaminated water among adults as well as children?

Important considerations: You should ensure that your water tank should be easy to clean.
                  Drain out the water: Once you have taken care of the initial steps, drain all the previous water from the tank or store it in a container for different use.
                  Scrub the internal surface: Once the water is completely drained out, you have to start the scrubbing procedure.
                  Sanitation: It is advisable that you sanitize your water tank at least twice in a year during the mid-summer and early winter.
                  Volume of the tank: You need to make sure that you measure the volume of the water in the tank before you add chlorine to it.
                  Through cleaning: It is very important that you do a thorough cleaning of the water tank corners and ensure that no dirt or the added chemicals are left in any of the corners
                  Flushing and washing the tank: For washing and flushing the tank, you will require a pressure hose pipe or a water jet.
                  Impure water is the main reason why Aquaguard, Alfa and assorted water purifiers have roaring business in Pune and other parts of our country.
                  Water tanks should be cleaned up regularly by society management. Tanker water should be chlorinated to ensure basic hygiene.Tank lids should be regularly checked to prevent cockroaches from breeding.
                  No one really goes up to check water tanks which are at a height in the terrace. Danger of gaps coming up on lids which will permit bird droppings,lizards etc falling etc should be checked and rechecked by committee members.
                  Tanks should be locked properly by the management.We have many cases where, snakes have got into water tanks.Date of last cleaning should be painted on water tanks for everyone to read and get reminded.
                  Water is the elixir of life,but if not kept in hygienic condition can cause serious water borne diseases.

Comment

Also there are 2 types of tankers. One which supply drinking water & other which supply water for washing purpose. Many times the tankers fill water from bad source & not from PMC authorised one & sell it as drinking water which may lead to diseases or rashes. Therefore, one needs to select the proper transporter. And all this can be avoided if you buy flat in liveable areas.
                    If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X