I am back to Pune after almost two years and seems things have changed a lot. Property prices are quite high, traffic has increased many fold, sky looks bit blackish. All bad signs of growth are also looking quite visible apart from the growth, opportunities etc.

Are we loosing the advantage of benefits city used to offer few years back?
Read more
45 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Rising pollution,problems and declining quality of life in Amchi Pune

Pune is in the throes of expansion. Rising population,increasing vehicular traffic,garbage,stray dogs and disappearing hills and greenery mark this new phase of development of Pune.
    You may live in the lap of nature as claimed by builders in their enticing ads or in tranquility with nature. But the fact is when you step out of your flat/society you run into unruly traffic,with vehicles coming in all directions,six seaters stopping wherever they feeel like. Six seaters run dangerously with passengers hanging out of the seats,with black plumes of smoke trailing,but there is no one to check.
    There is general deterioration in quality of life.
    Question is what we can do as citizens of Pune
    For one drive carefully and keep your vehicle tuned and serviced to reduce emissions.Plan your journeys to avoid bringing your vehicle on road more than needed.Please keep your mobiles switched off while driving.
    Societies can put in collective effort and get strays in their area sterilised by Blue cross.Dont request PMC to catch dogs from your locality and pass it on to some other locality.Once sterilised they become more docile.These strays will be better guards than your black cat commandos brought by security agencies.This I can say out of personal experience.Guards sleep but dogs at least bark when they see strangers
    Have phone numbers of "friends of snakes"(Sarp Mitr) to catch any bewildered snake which enters your premises.We have invaded their premises and now are killing them on sight more out of fear.Funny that we on one hand celebrate Naag Pachami on one day and rest of the year we kill them. Only Cobra,Viper and krait are posionous.all other breeds are non venomous.
    Plant trees in your society free areas-like neem trees to keep environment clean and fresh.
    Keep your garbage output minimum and insist on your society to put in place vermiculture.Otherwise you may find gas plants being put by PMC next to many societies.PMC has plans to increase number of bio gas plants anyway.
    Save water and electricity at least to cut your society bills down.
    There is plenty you can do to contribute to environment.An alert and conscious citizen can bring about changes for the better.You have to be the change you seek in others.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123

Only Cobra,Viper and krait are posionous.all other breeds are non venomous.

You forgot Nagpal group of some Meadows project
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by hporwal
    i am back to pune after almost two years and seems things have changed a lot. property prices are quite high, traffic has increased many fold, sky looks bit blackish. All bad signs of growth are also looking quite visible apart from the growth, opportunities etc.

r we loosing the advantage of benefits city used to offer few years back.

Doesn't it sound like - unfolding of a Mumbai in making in front of our eyes :)

Yes. People who used to choose city for weather etc have to move out to other locations. In Pune game is being taken to a new level. Its a unique combo of academic , industrial, cultural center.
    CommentQuote
    i am back to pune after almost two years and seems things have changed a lot. property prices are quite high, traffic has increased many fold, sky looks bit blackish. All bad signs of growth are also looking quite visible apart from the growth, opportunities etc.

ITs gradual rise and not all of sudden, you are feeling this because, you might have came from the silent and low populated and well developed onsite location.
    CommentQuote

Pune is not growing but SWELLING
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by compuwalah
    Doesn't it sound like - unfolding of a Mumbai in making in front of our eyes

I would surely not want that to happen. Infrastructure is already in mess in Pune. The DP of Pune is still not sanctioned for past 15 yrs & this week corporators were debating whether to complete DP according to new & old villages merged into city limits or all in single go. :o

Yes. People who used to choose city for weather etc have to move out to other locations. In Pune game is being taken to a new level. Its a unique combo of academic , industrial, cultural center.

Yes, no doubt Pune is increasing in population, buildings etc. but infra remains the same. 2-3 yrs back, areas where I crossed in single signal, now I need to wait for 2 turns due to more traffic & same small road.
    Btw, I will disagree with Pune as industrial centre as that title goes to PCMC. Pune has only IT & offices, industries will continue in PCMC only.
    CommentQuote
  • venomous builders

Originally Posted by compuwalah
    You forgot Nagpal group of some Meadows project

My dear Compuwalah,
    Those who know Pune RE are aware of the list of "snakes'. By the way this group is not the only one which qualifies in this huge list of avoidable builders who pollute the RE environment.
    CommentQuote
  • Its high time that new industries/companies are set up in relatively less developed cities like nasik, etc. Otherwise pune will become a much more un-sophisticated and less managed version of smaller mumbai...
    CommentQuote
  • I came back from gurgaon. Yes almost two years so finding much more traffic. Earlier sitting in balcony/terrace used to pleasant but now I could see at least 3-4 lines of rising fumes maybe burning charcoal, more cement in air.
    Maybe these will reduced once the growing construction will reduce
    CommentQuote
    I came back from gurgaon. Yes almost two years so finding much more traffic. Earlier sitting in balcony/terrace used to pleasant but now I could see at least 3-4 lines of rising fumes maybe burning charcoal, more cement in air.
    Maybe these will reduced once the growing construction will reduce

Apart from jungle of buildings, key thing is lack of trees and green cover.

There are lots of areas which are praised by punters as "see, how developed it has become. See those commercial complexes, See those malls. See all the development !!!"

Key thing is I find it hard to locate trees and green cover. Nor do I see clear plan to plant and groom trees in so many different areas. Schemes have the names like "woods" and "greens" and what not but not a single tree in acres and acres of land :o

Apologies if you mind, but now even in pune, natural or artificial grass lawn (called golf and what not) is being bombarded as green/fresh area. It is almost like green grass means life and that is being marketed as fad by those who want to make quick buck :(

Even if someone picks my post and so called developed/developing area of pune+outskirt are systematically converted to have green cover that sustains...5 - 10 years down the line you see the same kind of trees that you see in some of the good old areas, I will be the most happy person :):)
    CommentQuote
  • The number of sparrows & other small birds has dipped by over 70-80% in past 1.5 years near my current residence. There was a beautiful sparrow who used to sit on my bedroom window grill in morning, chirp around :) & she was later joined by her boy-friend/hubby too. :D

Now, except for pigeons & some crows, all small birds are not seen. :( :o
    CommentQuote
  • greenery in Pune

Trees are becoming an extinct species in many parts of Pune. Roads get widened to facilitate traffic and trees disappear.but with our poorest of poor driving habits and parking habits even the widest road cannot ensure smooth movement of traffic.When autos park themselves in turnings and block traffic,how can size/width of the road help?We all like to drive on the wrong side by habit.
    Tree plantation in available open areas is a must.
    Lawns are not equal to natural greenery and forest.The lawns require huge amount of water to maintain.Where is that kind of water available in Pune?
    Sparrows and small birds have drastically declined.I have lot of pigeons in our area which keep gifting their droppings all over the place.Crows have adapted themselves but other species are becoming extinct slowly.
    Progress is not a concrete jungle.Progress is not measured by number of cars,but it is a happy and healthy environment with birds chirping and plenty of green trees amidst the high rises.Trees should be compulsory planted instead of lawns
    Greening of Pune is a must for growth and clean environment.
    CommentQuote
  • Songbirds :)?? An ideal place?

BTW on a serious note, do the PMC/PCMC guys plant a tree for every tree they uproot for widening or construction purposes?

The road from Aundh to Hinjewadi flyover has hardly any greenery left :(.
    And now the highways will be gone as well!
    CommentQuote
  • Pollution may be on rise but not sure how it affects real estate. The price per sq. feet is the maximum in Pune's most polluted area, Karve rd.
    CommentQuote
  • Pune has really changed

Most visible pattern is rains...when I first came to Pune...it was like 2-3 months of daily drizzling...this year it was matter of weeks

Average temperature has surely gone up throughout the year though I dont have stats to prove it

Polution might be rising but its still no where to levels of Mumbai/Delhi etc

Pune was always a pathetic city in terms of Infra and I really dont see that changing any soon...

But its growing up as wondefful combo of IT+Auto+Education+Culture...in that sense easily one of the best choices amongst job hubs of India ( Im discarding Chandigarh for lack of enough jobs)
    CommentQuote