Is Pollution on the Rise in Pune?

Last updated: July 23 2015
45 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Is Pollution on the Rise in Pune?

Originally posted by hporwal View Post
    I came back from gurgaon. Yes almost two years so finding much more traffic. Earlier sitting in balcony/terrace used to pleasant but now I could see at least 3-4 lines of rising fumes maybe burning charcoal, more cement in air.
    Maybe these will reduced once the growing construction will reduce
    Apart from jungle of buildings, key thing is lack of trees and green cover.

There are lots of areas which are praised by punters as "see, how developed it has become. See those commercial complexes, See those malls. See all the development !!!"

Key thing is I find it hard to locate trees and green cover. Nor do I see clear plan to plant and groom trees in so many different areas. Schemes have the names like "woods" and "greens" and what not but not a single tree in acres and acres of land

Apologies if you mind, but now even in pune, natural or artificial grass lawn (called golf and what not) is being bombarded as green/fresh area. It is almost like green grass means life and that is being marketed as fad by those who want to make quick buck

Even if someone picks my post and so called developed/developing area of pune+outskirt are systematically converted to have green cover that sustains...5 - 10 years down the line you see the same kind of trees that you see in some of the good old areas, I will be the most happy person

Comment

The number of sparrows & other small birds has dipped by over 70-80% in past 1.5 years near my current residence. There was a beautiful sparrow who used to sit on my bedroom window grill in morning, chirp around & she was later joined by her boy-friend/hubby too.

Now, except for pigeons & some crows, all small birds are not seen.
      If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

greenery in Pune

Trees are becoming an extinct species in many parts of Pune. Roads get widened to facilitate traffic and trees disappear.but with our poorest of poor driving habits and parking habits even the widest road cannot ensure smooth movement of traffic.When autos park themselves in turnings and block traffic,how can size/width of the road help?We all like to drive on the wrong side by habit.
        Tree plantation in available open areas is a must.
        Lawns are not equal to natural greenery and forest.The lawns require huge amount of water to maintain.Where is that kind of water available in Pune?
        Sparrows and small birds have drastically declined.I have lot of pigeons in our area which keep gifting their droppings all over the place.Crows have adapted themselves but other species are becoming extinct slowly.
        Progress is not a concrete jungle.Progress is not measured by number of cars,but it is a happy and healthy environment with birds chirping and plenty of green trees amidst the high rises.Trees should be compulsory planted instead of lawns
        Greening of Pune is a must for growth and clean environment.
        Last edited January 21 2013, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Songbirds ?? An ideal place?

BTW on a serious note, do the PMC/PCMC guys plant a tree for every tree they uproot for widening or construction purposes?

The road from Aundh to Hinjewadi flyover has hardly any greenery left .
          And now the highways will be gone as well!

Comment

Pollution may be on rise but not sure how it affects real estate. The price per sq. feet is the maximum in Pune's most polluted area, Karve rd.

Comment

Pune has really changed

Most visible pattern is rains...when I first came to Pune...it was like 2-3 months of daily drizzling...this year it was matter of weeks

Average temperature has surely gone up throughout the year though I dont have stats to prove it

Polution might be rising but its still no where to levels of Mumbai/Delhi etc

Pune was always a pathetic city in terms of Infra and I really dont see that changing any soon...

But its growing up as wondefful combo of IT+Auto+Education+Culture...in that sense easily one of the best choices amongst job hubs of India ( Im discarding Chandigarh for lack of enough jobs)

Comment

green areas

Originally posted by gradsid View Post
                Songbirds ?? An ideal place?

BTW on a serious note, do the PMC/PCMC guys plant a tree for every tree they uproot for widening or construction purposes?

The road from Aundh to Hinjewadi flyover has hardly any greenery left .
                And now the highways will be gone as well!
                It is not only about planting a tree for one that is uprooted. It is about planting, grooming and sustaining trees as part of the development plan itself If not planned and done up front, it will never happen

Originally posted by pnq2012 View Post
                Pollution may be on rise but not sure how it affects real estate. The price per sq. feet is the maximum in Pune's most polluted area, Karve rd.
                It does not matter if it affects price or RE.
                It affects the city and people. That is what matters !!

One can understand constraints in old areas. But in newly developing areas, this should have been or at least going forward be part of the what they keep calling "vikas kame" (development activities).

City first is the need of the hour.

Posting some pictures in next posts about various areas including favorite karve road with surrounding. That should tell the story. We should have all areas green. We are not here to leverage profits even on that

Comment

karve road, jm road, recent developing areas

Due to size constraints, had to cut down the areas' coverage in images. But pick any developing area and you will find the same story.

Disclaimer: This is not to promote/demote any areas or any schemes in those areas. City comes first and that is what I am talking about irrespective of the area.

karve road (supposed to be most polluted)
                  jm road (key commercial and food center in heart of the city)
                  new developing areas (wakad, hj, ps and many more in pmc/pcmc)
                  Attached Files

Comment

pollution in Pune

Pollution in Pune has increased.All indications of pollution are seen everywhere.dead fish float in Mulla Mutha,small birds have disappeared,diseases related to poor air quality,dusty environment are on the increase.
                    The reason for all this is no doubt the lack of administration,regualtion by the Governmental agencies paid and tasked to do checks on pollution and regulate pollution.But we Puneites are equally responsible. We scatter rubbish,we dont press our societies to adopt vermiculture,we don't bother about throwing garbage on the road or maintain our vehicles in serviceable condition.Some vehicles-especially six seaters and municipal trucks carrying garbage belch huge amounts of exhaust right onto our faces and we are silent helpless victims.There are still societies which try to burn their garbage and pollute the atmosphere.
                    We don't want to take the pain of segregating the garbage into wet and dry.For example in Japan :
                    "An example of how diligent the folks over here in Tokyo are about recycling. Milk cartons are cut open, washed and hug to dry before sticking in the recycle bins located at supermarkets.
                    Plastic bottles are crushed, label and cap removed and washed.
                    Plastic trays that come with food are washed and disposed in the recycle bins".

We require to be equally diligent in Pune to reduce pollution,garbage and increase quality of life.We must play our role well and then press our elected corporators to play their role along with PMC/PCMC.
                    Last edited January 21 2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

The NCP chaps are busy granting residential status to plots reserved for gardens, playgrounds. The bio-diversity park is still stuck mid-way as builders/NCP want to construct something on it & balance should be given in form of TDR (so that they can over load some other place).

Ample of debris is thrown in river to make roads like in case of Vithalwadi-Warje road. Thankfully, it got stop work order which is welcomed. A builder in Katraj/Kondhwa was busy putting debris in a fresh water lake so that he can build residential complex over there. Constructing in flood line areas by shifting river banks is also common. And then there are MLAs who will ask to stop demolition work carried out by PMC/PCMC in illegal buildings, even if they cause great harm in general for the sake of vote bank politics.

When I was in New York for first time, I was taken by surprise by central park which is bang in Manhattan. It is spread in an area of 3.5 sq kms !! Fantastic park man, & in autumn, its even better. When you visit NYC, forget statue of liberty, just see how peaceful it feels here, bang in between of worlds commercial hub.

I am sure, if Pune builders & NCP would have been running NYC, there would have been mini-Lavasa coming up there.

Spain on other hand has done fantastic recreational activities on its river banks, including amphi-theaters. They also do under water lighting in the river, which makes the river look beautiful at night, & hence river view commands premium here, just like Hudson river view. But in case of Pune, river facing flats are sold at discounts coz they are open sewers & most likely, you will find some 'samshaan bhoomi' near river bank here.

I really wonder what corporators & MLAs do when they do 'Study Tours' in US & EU. Just waste of public money.

Some pics below to introspect ourselves, where we stand by global standards despite paying high price.

If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X