I am back to Pune after almost two years and seems things have changed a lot. Property prices are quite high, traffic has increased many fold, sky looks bit blackish. All bad signs of growth are also looking quite visible apart from the growth, opportunities etc.

Are we loosing the advantage of benefits city used to offer few years back?
Read more
45 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • green areas

Originally Posted by gradsid
    Songbirds ?? An ideal place?

BTW on a serious note, do the PMC/PCMC guys plant a tree for every tree they uproot for widening or construction purposes?

The road from Aundh to Hinjewadi flyover has hardly any greenery left .
    And now the highways will be gone as well!

It is not only about planting a tree for one that is uprooted. It is about planting, grooming and sustaining trees as part of the development plan itself If not planned and done up front, it will never happen :(

Originally Posted by pnq2012
    Pollution may be on rise but not sure how it affects real estate. The price per sq. feet is the maximum in Pune's most polluted area, Karve rd.

It does not matter if it affects price or RE.
    It affects the city and people. That is what matters !!

One can understand constraints in old areas. But in newly developing areas, this should have been or at least going forward be part of the what they keep calling "vikas kame" (development activities).

City first is the need of the hour.

Posting some pictures in next posts about various areas including favorite karve road with surrounding. That should tell the story. We should have all areas green. We are not here to leverage profits even on that ;)
    CommentQuote
  • karve road, jm road, recent developing areas

Due to size constraints, had to cut down the areas' coverage in images. But pick any developing area and you will find the same story.

Disclaimer: This is not to promote/demote any areas or any schemes in those areas. City comes first and that is what I am talking about irrespective of the area.

karve road (supposed to be most polluted)
    jm road (key commercial and food center in heart of the city)
    new developing areas (wakad, hj, ps and many more in pmc/pcmc)
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • pollution in Pune

Pollution in Pune has increased.All indications of pollution are seen everywhere.dead fish float in Mulla Mutha,small birds have disappeared,diseases related to poor air quality,dusty environment are on the increase.
    The reason for all this is no doubt the lack of administration,regualtion by the Governmental agencies paid and tasked to do checks on pollution and regulate pollution.But we Puneites are equally responsible. We scatter rubbish,we dont press our societies to adopt vermiculture,we don't bother about throwing garbage on the road or maintain our vehicles in serviceable condition.Some vehicles-especially six seaters and municipal trucks carrying garbage belch huge amounts of exhaust right onto our faces and we are silent helpless victims.There are still societies which try to burn their garbage and pollute the atmosphere.
    We don't want to take the pain of segregating the garbage into wet and dry.For example in Japan :
    "An example of how diligent the folks over here in Tokyo are about recycling. Milk cartons are cut open, washed and hug to dry before sticking in the recycle bins located at supermarkets.
    Plastic bottles are crushed, label and cap removed and washed.
    Plastic trays that come with food are washed and disposed in the recycle bins".

We require to be equally diligent in Pune to reduce pollution,garbage and increase quality of life.We must play our role well and then press our elected corporators to play their role along with PMC/PCMC.
    CommentQuote
  • The NCP chaps are busy granting residential status to plots reserved for gardens, playgrounds. :bab (45): The bio-diversity park is still stuck mid-way as builders/NCP want to construct something on it & balance should be given in form of TDR (so that they can over load some other place).

Ample of debris is thrown in river to make roads like in case of Vithalwadi-Warje road. Thankfully, it got stop work order which is welcomed. A builder in Katraj/Kondhwa was busy putting debris in a fresh water lake so that he can build residential complex over there. Constructing in flood line areas by shifting river banks is also common. And then there are MLAs who will ask to stop demolition work carried out by PMC/PCMC in illegal buildings, even if they cause great harm in general for the sake of vote bank politics. :bab (45):

When I was in New York for first time, I was taken by surprise by central park which is bang in Manhattan. :) It is spread in an area of 3.5 sq kms !! Fantastic park man, & in autumn, its even better. When you visit NYC, forget statue of liberty, just see how peaceful it feels here, bang in between of worlds commercial hub.

I am sure, if Pune builders & NCP would have been running NYC, there would have been mini-Lavasa coming up there. :D

Spain on other hand has done fantastic recreational activities on its river banks, including amphi-theaters. They also do under water lighting in the river, which makes the river look beautiful at night, & hence river view commands premium here, just like Hudson river view. But in case of Pune, river facing flats are sold at discounts coz they are open sewers & most likely, you will find some 'samshaan bhoomi' near river bank here.

I really wonder what corporators & MLAs do when they do 'Study Tours' in US & EU. Just waste of public money. :o

Some pics below to introspect ourselves, where we stand by global standards despite paying high price.

CommentQuote
  • We might take another 100 years to reach at NY levels...

back at home Delhi has some wonderful parks/garden

Bangalore has wonderful Cubbon Park

In maharstra they sell even last bit of land

They could have easily converted all land mills into central parks in Mumbai but they sold to greedy builders ( fronts of politicians)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by pnq2012
    Pollution may be on rise but not sure how it affects real estate. The price per sq. feet is the maximum in Pune's most polluted area, Karve rd.

Don't know pnq if you have ever lived in the Karve road area... I have lived 200 mtrs from Nalstop (in the lane behind Lagu bandhu motiwale) and there was 0 pollution there.

The fact is .. the moment you leave Karve road and take any road inside (Canal road, prabhat road any lane, laxminarayan nagar, ideal colony, mayur colony etc.) the houses are beautiful, the people are educated, everything is close by, there are bunch of parks, playgrounds, good teachers, great schools, and close to everything! There is tekdi to go to, there is the canal road, there are jogging / walkways.. it's really good to stay in these places.

Don't go by the statistics .. they are usually taken at the Nal stop signal where there are probably a million vehicles going through every hour!

I can see people pay more for Prabhat road than Hinjewadi!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    Trees are becoming an extinct species in many parts of Pune. Roads get widened to facilitate traffic and trees disappear.but with our poorest of poor driving habits and parking habits even the widest road cannot ensure smooth movement of traffic.When autos park themselves in turnings and block traffic,how can size/width of the road help?We all like to drive on the wrong side by habit.
    Tree plantation in available open areas is a must.
    Lawns are not equal to natural greenery and forest.The lawns require huge amount of water to maintain.Where is that kind of water available in Pune?
    Sparrows and small birds have drastically declined.I have lot of pigeons in our area which keep gifting their droppings all over the place.Crows have adapted themselves but other species are becoming extinct slowly.
    Progress is not a concrete jungle.Progress is not measured by number of cars,but it is a happy and healthy environment with birds chirping and plenty of green trees amidst the high rises.Trees should be compulsory planted instead of lawns
    Greening of Pune is a must for growth and clean environment.

I see Gurgaon NCR is excessively polluted. My work does not depend where I stay so I was told I can move to "lesser" polluted places like Pune or Chandigarh. I need to know if Pune is really significantly lesser polluted than Delhi/Gurgaon ?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by dsharma9
    I see Gurgaon NCR is excessively polluted. My work does not depend where I stay so I was told I can move to "lesser" polluted places like Pune or Chandigarh. I need to know if Pune is really significantly lesser polluted than Delhi/Gurgaon ?

--- I need to know if Pune is really significantly lesser polluted than Delhi/Gurgaon ?

Not much difference. 19-20 ka farak hoga. If your work does not depend on where you stay (lucky) , then you may consider moving to smaller cities like maybe Amdavad, Cochin, Jaipur, Chandigarh, etc.
    Sometimes I do feel like that in 1.2 Cr, I can buy a shop in a small town, buy a house and a car and still have money left over ! Why am I spending rest of my 30 years till retirement slaving away for the bank?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rendezvous
    Don't know pnq if you have ever lived in the Karve road area... I have lived 200 mtrs from Nalstop (in the lane behind Lagu bandhu motiwale) and there was 0 pollution there.

The fact is .. the moment you leave Karve road and take any road inside (Canal road, prabhat road any lane, laxminarayan nagar, ideal colony, mayur colony etc.) the houses are beautiful, the people are educated, everything is close by, there are bunch of parks, playgrounds, good teachers, great schools, and close to everything! There is tekdi to go to, there is the canal road, there are jogging / walkways.. it's really good to stay in these places.

Don't go by the statistics .. they are usually taken at the Nal stop signal where there are probably a million vehicles going through every hour!

I can see people pay more for Prabhat road than Hinjewadi!

the million cubic metres of smoke that vehicles exhale at nal stop doesn't stay at the signal, but affects residents in the neighbourhood. The effects will take some time to show up.
    Of course, that's not to say that there are areas that are pollution free, or that there is even a way to escape pollution.
    And what is pollution free today may not remain so tomorrow. So you have only this much in your hands.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by BaagadBilla
    --- I need to know if Pune is really significantly lesser polluted than Delhi/Gurgaon ?

Not much difference. 19-20 ka farak hoga. If your work does not depend on where you stay (lucky) , then you may consider moving to smaller cities like maybe Amdavad, Cochin, Jaipur, Chandigarh, etc.
    Sometimes I do feel like that in 1.2 Cr, I can buy a shop in a small town, buy a house and a car and still have money left over ! Why am I spending rest of my 30 years till retirement slaving away for the bank?

You can, but that doesn't mean you will be a winner. Making it big in a small town isn't that easy. Opportunities are less there, and only the really smart can be successful.

Pune was among the list of cities that you cited above (cheaper than metros and lots of jobs). In one decade it's lost the edge. People tap opportunities very fast. People from all over the country who came for a job swear by Pune- thats the place they wanna settle down (i.e. buy a house).

btw, India today had an article that the next wave of millionaires will be from small towns. These will be the people who operate businesses from small low cost cities/towns, and have a decent business model.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by BaagadBilla

Today I stood in a shop for 1 hour to repair a mobile phone in a locality in gurgaon which saw just average traffic, but in 1 hour I could see so much smoke in the air and my head was mildly paining. I seldom go out of my house but so far I was of the view that delhi is polluted because there are too many cars. WRONG, I today felt that the main cause of pollution is ultra poor quality diesel mixed with kerosine and the substandard vehicle engines ! I have been to Bangkok and Dubai where I have seen far more traffic jams but you never feel so much CB pollution in any of these places. If I am wrong in my observation about Indian cities, can someone tell if air pollution feels much less in Jaipur than in Delhi ?
    CommentQuote
    Today I stood in a shop for 1 hour to repair a mobile phone in a locality in gurgaon which saw just average traffic, but in 1 hour I could see so much smoke in the air and my head was mildly paining. I seldom go out of my house but so far I was of the view that delhi is polluted because there are too many cars. WRONG, I today felt that the main cause of pollution is ultra poor quality diesel mixed with kerosine and the substandard vehicle engines ! I have been to Bangkok and Dubai where I have seen far more traffic jams but you never feel so much CB pollution in any of these places. If I am wrong in my observation about Indian cities, can someone tell if air pollution feels much less in Jaipur than in Delhi ?

Heavy vehicles contribute to the air pollution significantly, other than industries.

In India all heavy vehicles as a rule are designed to emit smoke at 2 feet from the ground so that humans get a good dose of CO, SO2,etc

Everywhere in the world I have seen buses and trucks with an exhaust pipe that goes vertically up like a chimney and emits smoke at 10-15 ft above ground level.

I fail to understand why is it so difficult for Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland, Eicher, etc to copy this design ? It can be bit of an ego problem, but lets copy it in the interest of poor Indians health.
    Or is it that ARAI was so busy that they could never think of this simple solution until they figure out the norms for reducing vehicular pollution.
    CommentQuote

if my work were location independant, I would consider a city in my home state with not more than 1 million population and excellent weather.
    There are many cities in Maharashtra that fit the bill- Nashik, Kolhapur,etc
    I have no fixation with large shopping malls and multiplexes.

I am sure you will have many choices up north as well.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by GlobeSon
    Heavy vehicles contribute to the air pollution significantly, other than industries.

In India all heavy vehicles as a rule are designed to emit smoke at 2 feet from the ground so that humans get a good dose of CO, SO2,etc

Everywhere in the world I have seen buses and trucks with an exhaust pipe that goes vertically up like a chimney and emits smoke at 10-15 ft above ground level.

I fail to understand why is it so difficult for Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland, Eicher, etc to copy this design ? It can be bit of an ego problem, but lets copy it in the interest of poor Indians health.
    Or is it that ARAI was so busy that they could never think of this simple solution until they figure out the norms for reducing vehicular pollution.

I find the rickshaws and SUVs to be the worst offenders. Worse than buses if you see the per-head emission rate.

I wonder how Bajaj and Tata pass the Euro norms emission tests ??
    CommentQuote

As far as I have experienced, it is no guarantee that second tier cities like Jaipur will have less pollution than gurgaon. I experienced much less pollution in Mumbai than in Pune! Agra and Mathura are quite polluted too. I fell sick after being in Mathura and Agra for few days.

Why not search the web for pollution data across Indian cities ? I think you will find the answers.
    CommentQuote