Last updated: September 4 2009
99 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Impact of swine-flu on RE & other business

Generally media has been immature and irrresponsible, BUT

Originally posted by m_square View Post
    But remember guys.. we should owe to this media hype that the govt has taken this problem by horns. else one can always expect complacency on their part. We can clearly see the awareness the media has created.

but, then, the media should understand where to draw the line

Generally I beileve that the media creates unnecessary hype about the most bland issues on TV (in fct non-issues like the SRK issue ) to stir up emotions and increase TRPs.

Even here the media was doing the same. But this time it worked in favor of the media because the panic created actually made otherwise less-than-responsible people take extra precautions because of the sheer fright that was thrown into them.

If this had been left to just the Govt or healthcare business many more deaths would have happened because people would have been more careless about it and fallen prey to the virus.

I'm not saying the media was responsible. Just that, this time around, their tactics worked for the greater good!

Just my 2c.

cheers

Comment

Same here wiseman. Infact, now I can see many people moving around, especially pedestrians without any mask/hanki etc. To some extent the roadside tea/panipuri has also seen some increase thanks to the news being taken out of air.

Btw, over 70 people have admitted for swine flu in last 2 days with 1 dead.
      In Delhi too, it is spreading, add to it the rains which are making the situation worse as water/humidity is he best carrier for h1n1.
      * Rains are welcome for all other reasons!

It is better people panic & remain alert than to stay misinformed & remain lethargic.
      If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Boy who gave Pune the Big F

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/aug...vane-Dhule.htm

Read the comments for above news.

Pune woman dies of swine flu; toll at 28:-

http://www.zeenews.com/news555836.html

Comment

Originally posted by mahesh pune View Post
          Yes media created lot of hype but media provide lot of good information to prevent from swine flue. Government hardly did anything to educate people. It is true that mask do not help u to prevent from H1N1 but if everyone wear mask then spreading of swine flue will stop which is spreading by coughing. Also due to panic people in pune stop going to malls and public places. In mumbasi people are still careless (see dahihandi crowd). In last 2 days no of new patients in pune are less than Mumbai that is because of media panic.
          ...... very true !

Comment

Good info.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...e-easy/503310/

Comment

received an SMS today.
              Message from American Embassy to Gujarati's all over the world "H1N1 is not a type of Visa so don't apply for it"

Comment

Originally posted by arin_12 View Post
                I think we should have some section on Off Topic where we can post this thread.
                How ever this flu is not only in Pune I think many other city will also have. We are just unaware. If people started checking then finding them will not be a big deal.
                RE estate will effect more as u can see some more jobs are getting wiped away, salary cut is still on, commodity price is high. This is time to save money mean with liquid cash not land. If you have land u cant sell until there is buyer...
                New studies have shown swine flu can spread through internet. So I don't agree with discussing swine flu in this forum.

Comment

^^ lolz
                  Eat, Pray and Love

Comment

Swine-Flu Prevention - The Ayurvedic Way

We all know that prevention is better than cure. It becomes even more
                    important in present Swine Flu situation where new viruses like H1N1
                    are challenging human body. Generally I do not write anything other
                    than astrology on this blog, but seeing the seriousness of present
                    situation, I want to share my experience on this topic.

Ayurveda is not merely about medicine but about the way of living.
                    Ayurveda gives us various advises to prevent diseases. Among that, I
                    have noted some of the very important advaises that are relevent in
                    case of swine flu and are noted keeping present living style in mind.
                    Here are those, I hope it will be useful -

a.. Take Chyawanprash daily
                    b.. Practice Anulom-Vilom Pranayam for minimum 5 minutes a day
                    c.. Avoid sleeping during day hours
                    d.. Sleep latest by 11 PM and avoid staying up late. A time after
                    11:00 PM is known as kapha time and body immune system is not that
                    powerful to fight infectious disease after this time.
                    e.. Try to move around the place of work instead of sitting in one
                    place or do some kind of physical work. This will help you to refresh
                    yourself, especially when you feel dull & lethargic.
                    f.. Avoid over exertion.
                    g.. Do not delay or skip your meals, you should take meals at
                    regular timings & in fixed quantities.
                    h.. Always have fresh meals, prepared using minimum quantity of oil,
                    or prepared with the help of Cow's ghee (purified butter).
                    i.. Daily use of Honey, Ginger (Adarakh) and Basil (Tulasi) helps
                    controlling excessive kapha.
                    j.. Take one cup milk with one tea-spoon full of Haldi
                    k.. Avoid refrigerated, re-warmed, day old stale food, etc.
                    These are some simple advises but are very effective. I strongly advocate them.

source: http://www.astrocamp.com/vedicastrol...vedic-way.html

Comment

Some tips for prevention from AIIMS doctor

Friends,

Thanks to media hype about H1N1, several people who trust me have
                      either approached or called me to advice. The hype in media about the
                      utility of face masks and N95 respirators as a tool for general
                      protection against H1N1 can't be deplored enough. Yesterday, a friend
                      who listened wanted me to write down briefly what I advised so that he
                      could tell others in similar words. Hence this short email to friends
                      whom I have advised recently (and others whom I haven't yet). Please
                      realize that this is not an official advice, especially the one about
                      face masks or N95.

Most N95 respirators are designed to filter 95% particulates of 0.3µ,
                      while the size of H1N1 virus is about 0.1µ. Hence, dependence on N95
                      to protect against H1N1 is like protecting against rain with an
                      umbrella made of mosquito net.

Tamiflu does not kill but prevents H1N1 from further proliferation
                      till the virus limits itself in about 1-2 weeks (its natural cycle).
                      H1N1, like other Influenza A viruses, only infects the upper
                      respiratory tract and proliferates (only) there. The only portals of
                      entry are the nostrils and mouth/ throat. In a global epidemic of this
                      nature, it's almost impossible not coming into contact with H1N1 in
                      spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a
                      problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1
                      infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms
                      and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps - not
                      fully highlighted in most official communications - can be practiced
                      (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications)..

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any
                      part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap).

3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you
                      don't trust salt). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the
                      throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms.
                      Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt
                      water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on
                      an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and
                      powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day
                      with warm salt water. Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra
                      Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but blowing the
                      nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds
                      dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral
                      population.

5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C
                      (Amla and other citrus fruits). If you have to supplement with Vitamin
                      C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. Drink as much of warm liquids as you can. Drinking warm liquids
                      has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They
                      wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where
                      they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

All these are simple ways to prevent, within means of most households,
                      and certainly much less painful than to wait in long queues outside
                      public hospitals.

Happy breathing!

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X