Hello Folks - I have a flat in hinjewadi and worndering if pune is a good place for buyinng another property as well. I know that property rates have gone up in the last 5 years in pune, but will the same trend continue for next 5-10 years.
I stay in Hyderabad and appreciation in real estate is not that great here.
So, I dont want to invest in hyderabad.

ANy thoughts ?
Read more
250 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    traffic grinds to a halt - pune mirror
    seeing these pictures,pune is not a destination for investment.

https://api.indianrealestateforum.com/api//v0/attachments/fetch-attachment?node_id=77918
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Cars are congesting our roads but yet more and more people are buying and driving them on our roads. Many reasons have already been discussed. I've to tell one important reason which many might have failed to notice.

The cost of driving car has been kept artificially low in our cities.

In prime localities, we can see many cars parked on both sides of the road though parking may not be there. Police are not strict in enforcing parking rules on car owners. That's why South Mumbai looks full of cars. If police start to apply fine strictly, whole car owning community would protest (rich class).

Truth is, if there's no parking space, then your car is not welcome there. Better pay and park. In Hong Kong I saw plenty of pay and parks. And rates were rs300 per hour (35hkd per hour). No wonder roads are freer there and 90% population uses public transport.

Apply strict parking policy in India, see how parking charges boom and how roads will get decongested.
    CommentQuote
  • Car is a more of the status symbol than a need and as the income grows the cars will grow
    CommentQuote
  • If corporations dont have capabilities to increase roads, parking garages or plan and execute high capacity mass transit then only option is to restrict number of vehicles on roads.
    CommentQuote
  • Yes. Dynamic parking charges as per demand (like flight tickets). And use that money to improve public transport.

Wish I were Mayor or someone! :p
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by raayba
    If corporations dont have capabilities to increase roads, parking garages or plan and execute high capacity mass transit then only option is to restrict number of vehicles on roads.

Restrict number of vehicles on the road - well if someone does that it would be termed as nadirshahi farman.
    Delhi has tried congestion tax in old Delhi areas also increased the parking charges manifold in areas like lajpat nagar plus tried that odd even formula twice.
    However Delhi has highest number of vehicles in whole India as much as 80 lakhs so these are okay measures because there are enough option of public transport.
    However if these ideas are tried in "towns" like pune where the maximum distance is just twenty odd kms from any point it is sure going to raise many voices.
    Pune does not have reliable and affordable public transport the auto wala asks 150 for a distance of 4 km i.e feom indira collage to d mart in hingewadi.
    Increase in traffic is sign of development and prosperity all what is required is proper management of traffic.
    The traffic mess is not created by cars because the driver is scared of hitting someone or damaging the vehicle the mess is created by small commercial vehicles mostly the tempos and commercial autos and these guys never get challaned because they pay regular hafta and are regular source of income to the.... Moreover these local commercial drivers are mostly local gaon wala who are very well connected to the local politicians and have very strong unions so any action against them would be a trouble inviting for the authorities hence they do what they please, as they say

Nanga naache pahar Chad ke
    CommentQuote
  • Moreover these local commercial drivers are mostly local gaon wala who are very well connected to the local politicians and have very strong unions so any action against them would be a trouble inviting for the authorities hence they do what they please, as they say
    Rohit_warren,
    These problems are endemic all over India.We cannot say it is peculiar to Pune.
    Local goons.gaonwala links to neta from same area,family ties are one among the reason why cities are in a mess and why our politics is incapableof leading us to super power status which we can reach if we show discipline and resolcve to get over our problems of caste,corruption and so on.
    But all said and done Pune has been a retirement home for many defence people and if they can mange ,others can also manage.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rohit_warren
    I live in Wakad just shifted less than two months ago.
    I saw discrimination at petrol pump the vegetables walas bloody even at saloon.
    Maybe it's just the low paid uneducated people who hold a different view than the office going junta.

First things first, exhibiting basic respect for other people regardless of their social or educational status often helps curb such perceived cases of discrimination

Mate , 90% of Wakad is non locals - How can you be discriminated against in Wakad of all places?
    Wakad may not be as glitzy as say a DLF phase IV but is certainly as cosmopolitan and definitely safer than Ggn :)

We only see what we want to see - How can a petrol pump attendant discriminate against you? Did he cut you off in the queue to fill fuel for someone who was behind you?
    Did the vegetable vendor quote you an obscenely high rate?
    As for discrimination at a saloon, I cannot imagine how that could possibly even happen

Originally Posted by rohit_warren
    A small incident today showing the discrimination.
    My kaam wali is sick for last two days so I asked another bai who works next door to clean the utensils for one day, she said she will charge 100 for one time.
    I was shocked because I pay 1200 per month for that and that is the rate in the society, these uneducated have a peculiar sense to exploit the situation, I have only seen this kind of attitude at shamshan ghat where the dom squeezes you to the death literally when it comes to money.
    Now whatever respect I had for pune it's slipping fast.

Obviously Sir.
    Differential pricing for short term and long term contracts exists in all sectors . Short term contract workers in IT too come at a significantly higher billing rate .. so
    a) That is not exploitation , that is standard market forces at play
    b) It is definitely not disrimination - AT least not unless the same Bai quoted 40/- to a local neighbour (40 being the rate you pay per day to your monthly contract bai)

Additional work over her BAU responsibilities from her perspective is not worth less than at least 100Rs (which of late is the bare minimum cost of labor for nearly anything)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by superczar
    Mate , 90% of Wakad is non locals - How can you be discriminated against in Wakad of all places?
    Wakad may not be as glitzy as say a DLF phase IV but is certainly as cosmopolitan and definitely safer than Ggn :)

We only see what we want to see - How can a petrol pump attendant discriminate against you? Did he cut you off in the queue to fill fuel for someone who was behind you?
    Did the vegetable vendor quote you an obscenely high rate?
    As for discrimination at a saloon, I cannot imagine how that could possibly even happen

That's exactly what happened in petrol pump and saloon
    CommentQuote
    That's exactly what happened in petrol pump and saloon

With all truth, has never happened to me once in the last 6+ years ..
    All I can guess maybe the other guy was either a local goon or a close friend of the attendant?

On a side note , every once in a while, some petrol bunk will try to pull in a fast one by not resetting the meter to zero - But I don't think that has anything to do with local vs non local discrimination
    CommentQuote
    Car is a more of the status symbol than a need and as the income grows the cars will grow

That is just part of the larger problem.

The bigger problem is not being discussed. In order to drive the GDP and employment up, the govt would want more people to buy cars (and other goods). So don't even expect the government to think on the lines of curbing vehicular growth.

In addition, there are promises made by govt to vehicle manufacturers about "assured market" and "friendly policies", which means the govt will never make a sincere effort to address the problem of increasing number of vehicles.
    CommentQuote
    Well I never had preconceived notions as I never been to pune before or anyone of my known person.
    By the way why would anyone disrespect a petrol pump guy or a barabar or a vegetable wala whom you never even seen before in life?

So you are being accused of having preconceived notions and you supposedly disrespected the other person. I have also been told in another thread to leave Pune :)

I have been living here since last ten years (Except 3 years in London).

It is true that there is discrimination. A couple of days ago, I was getting a sheet fitted on to my bike for protection against rainwater on shoes and trousers. The guy said 80 Rupees. Then another local guy came on bike and asked the rate. He said 70 Rs, he probably thought I dont understand the local language, but I do understand pretty well, and even speak some. I gave him 70, even though I was willing to give him 80.

The auto wala will charge you exorbitantly. The kirana wala, the electrician, even the chai wala, the whole lot will try to loot if you are not a local. You will always get poor quality at higher price. Even if you speak the local language, the lack of accent will give you away.

That is why I prefer the big retail and online stores.
    Even the builders in this city will not give you a better price or more prime flat !!
    Sadly enough, petrol is not delivered online till date :)

I sometimes think I was more welcome in London than in Pune.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Hairpin
    Cars are congesting our roads but yet more and more people are buying and driving them on our roads. Many reasons have already been discussed. I've to tell one important reason which many might have failed to notice.

The cost of driving car has been kept artificially low in our cities.

In prime localities, we can see many cars parked on both sides of the road though parking may not be there. Police are not strict in enforcing parking rules on car owners. That's why South Mumbai looks full of cars. If police start to apply fine strictly, whole car owning community would protest (rich class).

Truth is, if there's no parking space, then your car is not welcome there. Better pay and park. In Hong Kong I saw plenty of pay and parks. And rates were rs300 per hour (35hkd per hour). No wonder roads are freer there and 90% population uses public transport.

Apply strict parking policy in India, see how parking charges boom and how roads will get decongested.

To promote the use of public transport, there first should be decent public transport.

Frankly, if we build better wider roads and better planned cities, it does not matter. US does not have much of a public transport system.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by BizBoy
    Sir you are most welcome in our city irrespective of your preferred language.
    My below points are not directed to you in person just random thoughts.

I am born Punekar. There is no reason to hate people who are not native Punekars.
    My only kind suggestion would be, please try to speak in Marathi, even partial Marathi will do, not mandatory but it definitely feels good.

Be affectionate towards Pune as your home city that’s all we need.
    PS - I can speak Gujrathi, Hindi Marathi, bit Kannada and English, I am not averse to any language.

Dont mean any offence, but I will tell you that I speak 4 languages fluently.
    My busy job means now I do not have time to learn another language. And any free time is better spent on picking new technologies (you know how IT jobs are). I may have had time if I were a bachelor, but not after getting married. And also, with age, it becomes difficult to pick up another language.

It is not that I do not want to learn or speak the local language. i will be at an advantage if I can manage to pass as a local. If I dont have time to learn or I am too dumb to learn does not mean I dont respect the local language or culture.

I speak a bit of local language in Pune, but now I cannot start learning the local language of Bangalore if I take up a job there.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by BaagadBilla
    To promote the use of public transport, there first should be decent public transport.

Frankly, if we build better wider roads and better planned cities, it does not matter. US does not have much of a public transport system.

Baagadbilla,
    India needs much better public transport system.
    Buses are pathetic in Pune.
    They break down and the driver and conductor are unconcerned about inconvenience,traffic jams etc.
    In our context wider roads will become parking places,hawker zones and so on.The whole problem in India revolves around -over population,indifferent civic authorities and indisciplined public.
    For example I travel often but am forced to use car-why---bus is over crowded,frequency inadequate and whenever I use the bus,you are caught up in a crowd and reach office in dishevelled clothes etc.
    Funny thing is inspite of overcrowded buses,the company is always running in a loss.
    And as far as parking of cars is concerned-we again are in confusion-GOI wants automobile industry to flourish,but there is never adequate parking.
    Many societies in Mumbai leave their vehicles on the roads and if any one objects,public opinion will swng against government.
    So there is silence.
    You can buy a car even if do not have own parking.
    If you stop this auto industry will collapse.
    Finally there are no solutions.
    CommentQuote