Got as a forward.
As I was travelling in bus today, few thoughts crossed my mind …

One of the hoardings requested me to buy home of my dreams. Now this may seem to be the most naive of the Ads on IT Park Road. There are others which tell you to “Feel Free” after buying a flat at exorbitant price. And then there are others which tell you that golf ball signifies high-class living. One of Ads tell you that you will feel wind as if you were standing on grand canyon! The AD that stands out differently (for its foolishness) is the one in which mathematical formulae are compared with living standards.

Coming back to home of my dreams. I remembered a drawing competition when I was in school. We were given the same subject line. Draw “Home of your dreams”. Believe me, none of us drew a multi-storied building pointing out a 3BHK flat – this is home of my dreams. If I request a group of Infoscions to draw a picture describing “Home of your dreams”, none of us would draw any of the buildings which we see on hoardings. Most of us would draw a bungalow in midst of hills, with a river flowing besides. The backyard would have some paddy fields. Somehow, the house of our dreams cost 1/10th of the house of our “reality”. (1/10th à Again, I saw an ad regarding bungalow at some remote scenic place, 45kms from here). Moreover, I call the people who live in “Home of your dreams” today as uncivilized and rural.

If I ask you to tell me “food of your dreams”, none of us will be describing a “Buffet with 6 salads, 2 soups, 3 veg, 3 non-veg, 4 types of rice, blah blah” as another hoarding describes (and at affordable prices too!). I would say give me a warm puran-poli and I would kick all the 6 salads, 5 desserts, etc. Our brain, somehow has a thing about quantity, I guess. If they tell you that they will give 15 salads for Rs 100 as against 3 salads for Rs 80, most probably you would end up paying Rs. 20 more for just “more choices” than “more food”.

If I buy a flat in scheme where they show Ads with children, my children would again draw the “Home of your dreams” just the same as I drew 30 years ago. How the world has changed!
Read more
20 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • The greedy mind

Me thinks:

The human greed and ambition is unsatiable. So the quest continues till u reach the top of everest or moon. Then u see u r alone at the top and there is no happiness or satisfaction. They have been left far behind and even time has passed u to really enjoy them.

The persuit in useful endeavour can do wonders. Working with the best ability & hoping for brighter tommorrow with the satisfaction of present status will give a fulfilling life than any achievements.
    CommentQuote
  • Surprise! Life Has an Ending.

Life is short! Don't sell your soul, life, and time for money for too long of a period. Don't let little things get in your way of what you really want to do with your life. Stop making excuses about why you can't do something. If you really want something, you got to go and get it. Let go of your "should's" and make your dreams a "must". Until you do that, your dreams will stay just that, a dream and won't become reality.

Everyone is looking for one thing in life: Happiness. So why is it that most people want to cling to things that make them unhappy? The answer is FEAR. Fear of losing that sense of security, which for most of us, is a false sense of security.

never forget that life is short. Tomorrow was never promised. No one ever said you will still be alive 5 years from now, or even 3 months from now. The more time you spend on doing things you don't like, the less time you will have doing the things you enjoy. What ever it is you want to do in life, start today, don't delay, make a plan and start right now!

And believe me, it works. There will be struggle sometimes, but what is a life with no struggle.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by deepakpat
    Life is a constant struggle, till it ends -- Amitabh Bachchan

that is indeed true, provided everyone looks at their life to do what they are passionate about. Otherwise there is absolutely no struggle.

Most of the folks (especially in IT) are in a comfort zone and FEAR about the instability in life if we take the step to change and start doing what we are passionate about. Some of these folks believe buying a 50-lac house is the biggest achievement, and paying the EMIs are the biggest challenge. The builders have helped sell this attitude, and folks have fallen prey to it.

We need to change this meaning of achievement and challenges.

I was in that mode for 5 years, was doing things which I never liked to do in life, but others including my family thought i was doing great things commanding respect in office and society. I was hanging-on since others around were also doing similar things, and i never knew why. Of course i was taking home awesome money every month, but was not sure what to do with the money.

The best is to call the shots when you are young enough to do what you want to do. If one wants to follow their passions it indeed demands some struggle, having the age with you is a big plus.
    CommentQuote

Real version:-
    Life is a constant struggle, till it gets KBC & meets Amar Singh:D.-- Big B

Originally Posted by tsongt
    The best is to call the shots when you are young enough to do what you want to do. If one wants to follow their passions it indeed demands some struggle, having the age with you is a big plus.

That's so true. However, one should equally restrain to fall for peer pressure.
    CommentQuote

Amitabh has been a bit of a hypocrite in all his interviews about his initial struggles. His family was very well connected to the Nehrus and his father was an Indian ambassador to many foreign countries.. was exceptionally well of in terms of money.. his dad was also a well known poet.. all his bull**** about life being a stuggle is a bit overdone. He got a decent break and first few movies flopped so got into trouble. He had huge tax defaulters.. because of bad business sense and many business men go through that.. Made friends with a crokked dirty politician who used him for SP publicity.. this guy now earns ****loads of money and takes back farm land donated to farmers because of fights with Raj Thackery..

For him.. Life is a constant oppertunity to lie to other and generate sympathy..

If a man is earning crores and squandering it away.. it his bloody fault..

It will be struggle if his wife is at home and he is running all around town with Rekha.. Please dont idealize this man.. he is just like bollywood.. FAKE..
    CommentQuote