I wish everyone on this forum a very happy new year.

My two cents worth of predictions for 2010:

Q1-Q2 2010:

US will see recession and a stock market collapse.

China will see RE and stock market collapse.

Indias stock market will top out by Feb 2010 and will start falling after budget and keep falling throughout rest of 2010.

RE prices in India will stop rising and there will be few sales after budget. New launched projects will stall. Prices will stay steady or dip 5-10% (in affordable apts) or 10-20% in luxury apts.

Gold will rise 20-40% in dollars (1400 per ounce)

Q3-Q4 2010:

We will see Shanghai 2000, Dow 8000, Sen 12000.

Commodity prices will collapse. Metal stocks will do badly (exit by Q2).

Gold might slowly fall, but I am not sure - might keep rising - unpredictable.

RE companies will face fresh liquidity problems as interest rates will rise. There will be no more buying in RE.

End 2009 marks the end of lift in RE sales and prices, reflecting pent up demand and 6th pay commission arrear related sales.

Fresh launched projects of Dec 2009 will see no sales and will take a long time to build too.

The phony recovery will be over in 2010 and the return of bear markets and recession seems unstoppable.
Read more
91 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by wiseman

You still have nothing of any substance to add and I suspect you never will simply because all you are capable of is criticising others without any contributions of your own.

But ain't you have tonnes of trash to add to this forum ? I am adding substance by exposing same. Like you play theif, I play police :)
    Originally Posted by wiseman

Otherwise, empty vessels make the most noise.

That is so true about you. Good heavens . At last you realized. :bab (59):

At least we guys make an effort. Any empty vessel can criticise and some of them do so all the time on this forum.

Others may be adding someting useful. But as I said earlier, your contribution is only trash predictions. :bab (3):

Bet part is, instead of understanding this simple comment, you are beating around the bush about drunkard, etc, etc which fools no one else on this forum about your basic incapability to add value. No wonder you do not understand even the most basic statements made and are instead talking about absence of logic and your inability to understand, etc. That is pretty obvious, you don't have to state it in so many words...

Boy boy. Ain't you a frustrated lot now. Its you who is beating round the bush . Instead of accepting the BS predictions, you are in unnecessary getting into argument with me and others. :bab (38):

talk about yourself. Don't start like "no one in the forum blah blah ..." like some Indian politico.:bab (45):

Waiting to see if you can make a single contribution apart from criticising others on this forum (long wait it will be!)

cheers

Keep waiting grandpa. I am very well contributing by exposing your crap and in reality that is what is paining you.

Anyway your language you used in last post has clearly exposed the wolf under the sheep's skin.

Now why don't you predict somethign about 2011. We will be here to pin you down at end of 2011 and we will go again through this . That keeps all of us in the job :D
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ani_meher
    Wow, a lot of heated discussion going on. Good thing the winters are here, we atleast get heat from such discussions!

Now I respect Rajesh & wiseman both, so no arguing on any side. But the same thing, infra in US is falling apart, was told to me by someone who is a NRI and regular visitor of states for last many years. He specifically told that you can feel infra is falling apart, and government can't do anything about it. Because to do something about it, they have to raise taxes, which they are not in position to.

I am not into US politics, and after Maharashtra's road, even a 3rd/4th/no grade gravel road seems heaven to me. But just stating that this statement was iterated by others too, and not only wiseman's imagination.

I have seen multiple roads being redone with premium quality. I can get you pictures if you want. Look at street view of google man for zip 22203. That is Ballston, Arlington area, a small downtown, constructed some where in 2002/3 after demolishing old structures. Look at the quality of the infra.

Who says they do not have money for repairing the roads? Whole of 495(capital beltway) is under under construction, they are adding lanes and exists, expanding the bridges.
    They are connecting the Washington DC Dulles airport to metro train, that end in Vienna right now. Construction is in full swing, and would complete in 2013. There is separate road to go to DC Dulles airport, which takes only airport traffic(Once you enter, no exists until you reach airport), so that there is delay because of traffic Jam.

This train connectivity is not the need, but done to promote employment, as I understand.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by RAJESHP
    I have seen multiple roads being redone with premium quality. I can get you pictures if you want. Look at street view of google man for zip 22203. That is Ballston, Arlington area, a small downtown, constructed some where in 2002/3 after demolishing old structures. Look at the quality of the infra.

Who says they do not have money for repairing the roads? Whole of 495(capital beltway) is under under construction, they are adding lanes and exists, expanding the bridges.
    They are connecting the Washington DC Dulles airport to metro train, that end in Vienna right now. Construction is in full swing, and would complete in 2013. There is separate road to go to DC Dulles airport, which takes only airport traffic(Once you enter, no exists until you reach airport), so that there is delay because of traffic Jam.

This train connectivity is not the need, but done to promote employment, as I understand.

+1.
    (US) - Most of the lands are in possession of govt while in MH (specifically Pune) 70% lands have been encroached by Politico and central govt is helpless. This is state govt’s responsibility and they have no interest.

Main issue is MH has so many political parties (Con-gress, BJP, NCP, SS, MNS, BSP….).
    CommentQuote
  • Well, I got the only major global trend of 2010 right!

Originally Posted by compuwalah
    But ain't you have tonnes of trash to add to this forum ? I am adding substance by exposing same. Like you play theif, I play police :)

That is so true about you. Good heavens . At last you realized. :bab (59):

Others may be adding someting useful. But as I said earlier, your contribution is only trash predictions. :bab (3):

Boy boy. Ain't you a frustrated lot now. Its you who is beating round the bush . Instead of accepting the BS predictions, you are in unnecessary getting into argument with me and others. :bab (38):

talk about yourself. Don't start like "no one in the forum blah blah ..." like some Indian politico.:bab (45):

Keep waiting grandpa. I am very well contributing by exposing your crap and in reality that is what is paining you.

Anyway your language you used in last post has clearly exposed the wolf under the sheep's skin.

Now why don't you predict somethign about 2011. We will be here to pin you down at end of 2011 and we will go again through this . That keeps all of us in the job :D

Compu,

Eat this!

Beginning of 2010 I had predicted that, while 2008-09 saw debt defaults and bailouts of Corporates and Large Banks, 2010 will see the major trend of Sovereign defaults in Debt.

The continuing EU bailouts is proof of this. And we have not even got onto the middle stage of this.

Second I had predicted that either in end-2010 OR probably in early to mid 2011, this will lead to another unsustainable state of global economies which will result in a more prolonged and dangerous decline which will be called the Greater Recession or some such term.

In any eventuality, late 2011 into 2012 will see this get into full bloom.

Therefore, the best time for RE purchases will be when the economy is beaen down again, which seems likely starting 2012 maybe for some time after that.

And Bullion (gold/silver) would continue to be the investments of choice as they continue to be in their decade old bull market).

These were my predictions of early 2010. And continue to be so for 2011.

And you still don't have anything to add at this level or any level, except for crapping around with empty words.

Now, let us see something from you? Compu?

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • I think things are getting personal and heated here. As realacres has already pointed out, it would have been better if this thread was named personal opinion. Guys, there is a lot to learn in this forum and including this thread.

My personal take on some of the points discussed:

1) Yes, there is a chance of hyper inflation happening in US and other economies because of relentless printing of currencies. There were massive bail outs (in billions) done both by US and EU in last 2 years. Where this money did came from? Mints are printing in full steam and this will cause hyper inflation in years to come. Also there were billions in bad derivatives that were just wiped out and they went in to currency heaven. This will lead to $ going down and commodities like gold and silver going up as these are safe heavens when $ goes down or people start to question its value /future. By the way cycle has happened in history and can be verified.

2) As to Infra in US, yes would agree with RajeshP that it is good. But at the same time would say- depending upon where you visit( for example NY/NJ) you will see that it is getting old and in need of upgrade, which is not going to happen anytime soon as these states are already doing massive budget cuts and have raised taxes. Compared to lets say Malaysia, I think infra in US (again depending upon where you go is old and in need of upgrade). But again saying this infra in US is far better then in MH. Yes other states like Gujrat, Delhi are getting better.

3) As to real estate there is always going to be demand in India because of demand and supply. We have so much of population compared to other countries so in general RE will go up but there will be mini cycles. If you are going to buy it for yourself and can afford it then go for it but there is no point in over leveraging as mentioned in this forum multiple times.

Anyways wishing you all a Happy New Year!!
    CommentQuote
  • :bab (27):
    1. In reference to Venky's words that White people are smarter

Here I would like to say that I have been to onsite several times and I have worked with them closely.
    The reason they are very good at the application or the area you are discussing with them
    they have been into it for years.
    And they are like MASTER OF ONE ...JACK OF NONE
    The only reason an Indian might ( please note :)) is that because we have to live
    with this reality of job hopping.
    "WE ARE LIKE JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE (or may be few :D )
    They might be doing the same thing all their life and If they loose their job ( I met a few who did)
    then they are scre**
    They are outdated and cannot fit in other places unlike us who
    when time comes can do any work to leverage resourses for the company and
    earn revenue.
    So we are rank high on Utility and and can survive recessions withuut being Fired
    I witnessed all this first hand
    :)
    CommentQuote
  • I would request some Veteran Member to start a new thread for 2011.

Icing on the cake would be some tips and tricks for 2011 :):)
    CommentQuote
  • IS THE SILVER SHORTAGE DEVELOPING ALREADY?

Back to Pune for the year-end holidays and desirous of purchasing silver bars & some gold , I made for Laxmi Road, where some of the most prominent jewellery showrooms are located. Upto Aug 2009, I could just walk into any of these establishments, and purchase whatever quantity of bullion I wanted. From then until now I was out of touch with the physical market. Today, I was slightly surprised to be told by the likes of Vaman Hari Pethe & Ranka Jewellers that I would have to first place an order and delivery would be available after 5 - 6 days. As of now, only P N Gadgil has silver bars readily available. I was in the showroom for about an hour, during which I noticed several customers snapping up bars & coins like pizzas ! In comparison, demand for gold seemed subdued. Around noon-time, they were out of bars; coins were available, but not in large quantities Thereafter they started taking orders for future delivery.

Now, that got me thinking. Is it because silver prices are quite high and jewellers don't want to stock too much because of security reasons or don't want to tie up their capital; or are we beginning to see signs of a silver shortage ?

Anyone have any experiences / info to share? and jewellers don't want to stock too much because of security reasons or don't want to tie up their capital; or are we beginning to see signs of a silver shortage ?

Anyone have any experiences / info to share? and jewellers don't want to stock too much because of security reasons or don't want to tie up their capital; or are we beginning to see signs of a silver shortage ?

Anyone have any experiences / info to share?
    CommentQuote
  • And here's one more for 2011 ...

Originally Posted by heretic
    Back to Pune for the year-end holidays and desirous of purchasing silver bars & some gold , I made for Laxmi Road, where some of the most prominent jewellery showrooms are located. Upto Aug 2009, I could just walk into any of these establishments, and purchase whatever quantity of bullion I wanted. From then until now I was out of touch with the physical market. Today, I was slightly surprised to be told by the likes of Vaman Hari Pethe & Ranka Jewellers that I would have to first place an order and delivery would be available after 5 - 6 days. As of now, only P N Gadgil has silver bars readily available. I was in the showroom for about an hour, during which I noticed several customers snapping up bars & coins like pizzas ! In comparison, demand for gold seemed subdued. Around noon-time, they were out of bars; coins were available, but not in large quantities Thereafter they started taking orders for future delivery.

Now, that got me thinking. Is it because silver prices are quite high and jewellers don't want to stock too much because of security reasons or don't want to tie up their capital; or are we beginning to see signs of a silver shortage ?

Anyone have any experiences / info to share?

Heretic,

This is very interesting news. My Bangalore contacts are saying 1kg silver ingots are available off the shelf. And that there seems to be no problem with stocks. You may wait for a while to see if this trend persists and then make up your mind.

Compu, here's another "guaranteed" prediction which is already underway.

I had mentioned the deepening of Sovereign Debt Default of various Western countries. I would like to extend this by saying that many American states and particularly cities will have defaults in the coming year.

California is the American "country" (being the 8th largest economy in the world it can be deemed to be a country as it has a GDP of 1.8 trillion and accounts for 13% of US GDP) that is most likely to be hit with a very large deficit (already nearing $40 Billion).

Compare this with Spain which is a $1.45 Trillion (nominal) economy. Therefore, if the EU is deemed to be irrevocably sick and headed for the rocks, then in the same way the US has many states which are larger than many of the sick EU countries ALSO headed the same way. This is expected to show up first in the crash of the Municipal Bonds market which could essentially shut the door for US Cities to raise funds to plug their ever-increasing deficits and result in some serious Europe-style rioting on US streets.

Its impact on Indian Business may not be so very serious in 2011 but it is all building up to a crecendo for 2012 and later.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

cheers

Heretic,

This is very interesting news. My Bangalore contacts are saying 1kg silver ingots are available off the shelf. And that there seems to be no problem with stocks. You may wait for a while to see if this trend persists and then make up your mind.

I had mentioned the deepening of Sovereign Debt Default of various Western countries. I would like to extend this by saying that many American states and particularly cities will have defaults in the coming year.

California is the American "country" (being the 8th largest economy in the world it can be deemed to be a country as it has a GDP of 1.8 trillion and accounts for 13% of US GDP) that is most likely to be hit with a very large deficit (already nearing $40 Billion).

Compare this with Spain which is a $1.45 Trillion (nominal) economy. Therefore, if the EU is deemed to be irrevocably sick and headed for the rocks, then in the same way the US has many states which are larger than many of the sick EU countries ALSO headed the same way. This is expected to show up first in the crash of the Municipal Bonds market which could essentially shut the door for US Cities to raise funds to plug their ever-increasing deficits and result in some serious Europe-style rioting on US streets.

Its impact on Indian Business may not be so very serious in 2011 but it is all building up to a crecendo for 2012 and later.

cheers

Heretic,

cheers

Heretic,

cheers

Heretic,

cheers

Heretic,

cheers

Heretic,

cheers

Heretic,

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • Some more news from China (on its way to disaster)

Real (and others),

Here is some very interesting news relating to our case about China ...

Things that are more expensive in China than in America: Fruits, Eggs, Milk, Meat

Things That Are More Expensive In China Than America: Fruit, Eggs, Milk & Meat

Check out the Table comparing item prices between the two. Quite surprising.

Are these prices REAL? I mean. A haircut for $10? Inflation seems to be going out of control out there!

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • real estate prices are up,
    oil prices are up,
    interest rates are up,
    vegetable prices are up,
    fruits prices are up,

my salary refuses to follow the trend! :(
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sanket1
    real estate prices are up,
    oil prices are up,
    interest rates are up,
    vegetable prices are up,
    fruits prices are up,

my salary refuses to follow the trend! :(

Thums UP :), btw heard dat most of the IT comps has increased the salary in Oct and few are following in Jan.
    CommentQuote
  • In a lighter vein, some of my friends to whom I've recommended this site quipped that Wiseman is the Hercule Poirot of finance & investment :) When people from non-financial backgrounds like us get all tangled up and confused by data avilable out there, he steps in and puts things into perspective, and lo ! ... the mystery is solved ! ... and things don't seem so complicated after all :D

BTW, check out this site for some valuable info.

www.bullionbullscanada.com
    CommentQuote
  • GLIMPSE OF THE FUTURE

Nearing the end of one depressing year, a glimpse of how 2011 is likely to unfold:

The New York Times reports - from Prichard, Alabama

This struggling small city on the outskirts of was warned for years that if it did nothing, its pension fund would run out of money by 2009. Right on schedule, its fund ran dry. Then Prichard did something that pension experts say they have never seen before: it stopped sending monthly pension checks to its 150 retired workers, breaking a state law requiring it to pay its promised retirement benefits in full.

"PRICHARD IS THE FUTURE," {emphasis added] said Michael Aguirre, the former San Diego city attorney, who has called for San Diego to declare bankruptcy and restructure its own outsize pension obligations. "We're all on the same conveyor belt. Prichard is just a little further down the road." The situation in Prichard is extremely unusual - the city has sought bankruptcy protection twice - but it proves that the unthinkable can, in fact, sometimes happen. And it stands as a warning to cities like Philadelphia and states like Illinois, whose pension funds are under great strain: if nothing changes, the money eventually does run out, and when that happens, misery and turmoil follow.
    CommentQuote
  • Beg to disagree!

Originally Posted by heretic
    In a lighter vein, some of my friends to whom I've recommended this site quipped that Wiseman is the Hercule Poirot of finance & investment :) When people from non-financial backgrounds like us get all tangled up and confused by data avilable out there, he steps in and puts things into perspective, and lo ! ... the mystery is solved ! ... and things don't seem so complicated after all :D

BTW, check out this site for some valuable info.

www.bullionbullscanada.com

Poirot was in a class of his own. Used to really like his unraveling of impossible plots :) I wonder where are the authors of the class of Agatha Christie who knitted novels that at once gave insight into life as it existed in those days while also pulling you into her novels so it looked as though you were part of the plot!

Me, I just re-hash info we all get from the Web with some proprietary ingredients (called prejudices!!!:D) of my own.

cheers

Poirot was in a class of his own. Used to really like his unraveling of impossible plots :) I wonder where are the authors of the class of Agatha Christie who knitted novels that at once gave insight into life as it existed in those days while also pulling you into her novels so it looked as though you were part of the plot!

Me, I just re-hash info we all get from the Web with some proprietary ingredients (called prejudices!!!:D) of my own.

cheers

cheers

cheers
    CommentQuote