Hi,

This is a question that has been going on in my mind for a long time. Not having found any correct legal guidance, I am posing it to our boarders..

Is it legal to build a farm house (say about 1000 sq ft on a 3 acre farm) on a plot which is touching a river? Pls note: the plot is agri zone & has a road at one end & touches a river at the other end. Distance betwnee the road & river would be about 600 feet or thereabout.

Any idea or direction would be very helpfull.

Cheers!
Read more
8 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Apply for sanction to build a farmhouse and see.River bed construction may not be permitted.
    CommentQuote
  • Even if it was allowed, isn't is risky? Though I have not seen flooding in Pune, it is a real threat and in those situations...a farm house so close to the river bed sounds dangerous to me.
    CommentQuote
  • A slight clarification: the farm house would be built towards the road end which is about 600 ft away from the river bed.

@vaibav: the person in question, known to me, has exhausted all options of finding the right authority to approach for the permissions. I have advised him (I do think wrongly) to start the construction without permission. Automatically the "vultures" will swoop in & they'll be the best sourse to direct & "assist" him in getting the permissions in place!

For acadaemic purpose, I was keen to know if the idea itself is legal or not.

Cheers!
    CommentQuote
  • I think it will be illegal to do such constructions close to riverbed.I need to cross check on this info.
    Town planning authorities would be the right agency for sanction.Building a farmhouse on Agricultural land is permitted subject to area of land.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Karan Dheer
    A slight clarification: the farm house would be built towards the road end which is about 600 ft away from the river bed.

@vaibav: the person in question, known to me, has exhausted all options of finding the right authority to approach for the permissions. I have advised him (I do think wrongly) to start the construction without permission. Automatically the "vultures" will swoop in & they'll be the best sourse to direct & "assist" him in getting the permissions in place!

For acadaemic purpose, I was keen to know if the idea itself is legal or not.

Cheers!

I think your advice is correct. For a farm house I doubt anyone comes asking for permission documents. The house best be on stilts to prevent flood damage, nearer to road and needs to be sufficiently further from road to allow for future road widening. If land gets acquired for road widening, the house should not get in the way.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    I think it will be illegal to do such constructions close to riverbed.I need to cross check on this info.

One just needs to look at Westin Hotel from the Kalyaninagar-Koregaon park bridge & gauge how illegal it must be! It's right on the river bed...but then...the mai-baaps run this country of which we are mere low lying subjects... just created to pay tax to fund their excesses!

Cheers!
    CommentQuote
  • To built a house on agri land is not allowed without permission.. Doesnt matter if its river touch or not... Did you try the Talati office?

On a seperate note, what would be roughly a rate of agri land per acre within 50-60 kms of pune?? ( say within max 2 hours from pune).. any location that board members can advise.
    CommentQuote
  • @Gharsansar: I asked my friend to check with the Talathi. The legal rule is 0.4% of land area as per 7/12 is legally allowed. So thts 1600 sq ft per acre.

My friends land is ancestral but I checked with the villagers around. This particular village is 40 km from Pune GPO. Going rate is 100 lacs per acre for 60 ft road touch. 60 lacs per acre for 30 ft road touch & 40 lacs per acre for 20 ft road touch places. All Agri status only.

The place is beautiful. River is clean & the village has 3 English school buses coming to drop off kids each day! Wow...never knew development & keenness for education has reached such far away places. Good for them....good for India long term.

Cheers!
    CommentQuote