Hello Guys,

This is my first post. BTW Thanks for such a wonderful blog. There is so much happening on this web. Its kind of addictive.

I am not here to post a question as of now. I am still trying to come out of shock of my life.

In Year 1997-1998, my mama, who was a farmer, used to live in Loni Kand (next to wagholi - then a very small village). My whole family used to travel to Lonikand once a quarter for family visit. While going to lonikand, we used to see wagholi on the way.

As I am from part of western ghats of Maharashtra, I never liked that area. I used to go there for some shops etc but that whole area was piece of junk. Only good part was around the ayurvedic college and the nearby lake. No trees. No landscapes. No major farm land. Few damaged small hills because of some quarry work. Very odd locality as compared to Western Ghats.

Now, after 1998, I moved to west with family. 15 years later, we came back to our hometown and planned for a visit to LoniKand. And here was the shock !

What has happened here? So many constructions? So much damage to already damaged nature? So many people and so many apartments / villas / plots ? What the heck !!! Where do these people came from? Is there a shopping competition going on around here? Almost everywhere people are constructing some residences. It felt like modern 'jhopad-patti'. Please dont take me wrong but jhopad-patti in dharavi have uglier constructions.

Wagholi was already an ugly place and not its even uglier ! Googled about it and then I ended up to this forum, and realized that some boom is happening around.

This was not the place I saw 15 years ago ! I truly feel that something has gone out of hands of people. I dont want to be educated here but, seriously, this much crazy people?
Read more
8 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • It is partly because of population growth. If we don't control population, things will be worse in future.

I relocated to Pune, because my hometown could not provide me the earning opportunities and same goes with almost all people who will be living in these 'Modern Jhopad-patti'.

Solution is to

1. Reduce population growth rate
    2. Create earning opportunities equally in tier 3 and below cities and towns.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by yogitalks
    Hello Guys,

This is my first post. BTW Thanks for such a wonderful blog. There is so much happening on this web. Its kind of addictive.

I am not here to post a question as of now. I am still trying to come out of shock of my life.

In Year 1997-1998, my mama, who was a farmer, used to live in Loni Kand (next to wagholi - then a very small village). My whole family used to travel to Lonikand once a quarter for family visit. While going to lonikand, we used to see wagholi on the way.

As I am from part of western ghats of Maharashtra, I never liked that area. I used to go there for some shops etc but that whole area was piece of junk. Only good part was around the ayurvedic college and the nearby lake. No trees. No landscapes. No major farm land. Few damaged small hills because of some quarry work. Very odd locality as compared to Western Ghats.

Now, after 1998, I moved to west with family. 15 years later, we came back to our hometown and planned for a visit to LoniKand. And here was the shock !

What has happened here? So many constructions? So much damage to already damaged nature? So many people and so many apartments / villas / plots ? What the heck !!! Where do these people came from? Is there a shopping competition going on around here? Almost everywhere people are constructing some residences. It felt like modern 'jhopad-patti'. Please dont take me wrong but jhopad-patti in dharavi have uglier constructions.

Wagholi was already an ugly place and not its even uglier ! Googled about it and then I ended up to this forum, and realized that some boom is happening around.

This was not the place I saw 15 years ago ! I truly feel that something has gone out of hands of people. I dont want to be educated here but, seriously, this much crazy people?

Aah, you missed investing in this gold mine 15 years ago. Just imagine if you would have bought some acres of land
    CommentQuote
  • A plot of land in decent location will always be a good investment.

Population pressure is pushing prices up in all fields.Unless and until some party boldly takes the lead in family planning,national progress will remain restricted.Rich will become richer and poor will become poorer and they will have no connect with national progress.GDP may go up and economists happy,but gap between rich and poor will continue widening.This is a recipe for disaster in the future.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ash1425
    It is partly because of population growth. If we don't control population, things will be worse in future.

I relocated to Pune, because my hometown could not provide me the earning opportunities and same goes with almost all people who will be living in these 'Modern Jhopad-patti'.

Solution is to

1. Reduce population growth rate
    2. Create earning opportunities equally in tier 3 and below cities and towns.

Agree about population growth but surely its not that much that it can absorb lacs of flats either. Fact remains that most flats are bought by speculators & not end users. The simplest proof is to see buildings at night, hardly any actual occupancy & even amongst those occupied, there will be significant number of tenants.

yogitalks,

The sole reason for the points raised by you is only one :- GREED. Be it that of builders or investors.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by yogitalks
    Hello Guys,

Not sure what are you trying to say here but if you compare any small town/city (not the metros) with 15 years of time difference, growth/construction/population difference would be remarkable.
    Specially for places which got sudden influx of migrants looking for greener pastures.
    Population/Competition/Education/Employability/Higher income are the reasons, forcing people out of their hometowns/locations to earn more and search for better living standards.
    If you have a specific problem with wagholi, try visingt Sanand/Gurgaon or any other manufacturing hub or port to see what 'else' can happen to your wagholi!
    CommentQuote
  • be happy. areas around the country haven't changed in 50 years.

home buying was a stretch even 15 years back... it is one even now. relatively, nothing has changed.. except notional profit of house owners i.e. price of my house IF I sell, because another fool bought it at that price in my building, or builder sold another flat at higher price than me.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear Yogitalks, if you are above 50, then pls accept my apology in advance because I don't ever talk rudely to my seniors. You may skip my reply below.

That aside, what is your problem with reality? You are too stuck from where you have come from (western ghat, where exactly?), than where you or the world is going. This is why investors are different from common folk. They see things that 'can be', not just things 'are', and they don't apply their preconceived notion of how things will 'never be'.

Why were you shocked to see ANYTHING changed after 15 years?! Had you seen your Mama himself after 15 years, still you would be shocked! Things change. When whole Pune has changed and improved, why should a nearby village be left behind, just because of preconceived notion of it being inferior to 'western ghat'? Has your hometown remained the same for 15 years?

Modern Zopadpatti? Sorry but calling other people's investments such crude names - especially ones that you don't understand and don't bother to learn about - is not a good sign of a healthy mind.

Your last sentence summarizes your post, and could have saved my reading and replying time had it been the first:

I dont want to be educated here but, seriously, this much crazy people?

Please do publish your expected vision for next 15 years, and we promise you that everything will be exactly as you think :D

Borrowing your words
    I don't want to be further stupefied!

I hope this is not another congress ad, where the old man dreams there are no roads, not jobs etc and then wakes up to reality!
    CommentQuote
  • hope this is not another congress ad, where the old man dreams there are no roads, not jobs etc and then wakes up to reality!
    That ad is pretty confusing and like Rip Wam Winkle.Not appealing anyway.
    CommentQuote