Hi All

Found a good article on Jaagoinvestor. You all can share your experiences here.

The Scam called “Sample Flat” – Learn how builders trap property buyers

One of the biggest traps for real estate buyers are “Sample Flats”. When you visit properties sites to inquire about any under construction properties or ready for possession flats, the builder or the sales person there shows you a “Sample Flat”. The moment you look at a sample flat, something happens to you. The sample flat is so beautiful and mesmerizing that, you feel like you are in love again, some kind of beautiful music starts playing in your head and for a moment, you visualize the future with your family living within that same sample flat and how you and your loved one’s are enjoying the ambiance and premiumness the sample flat offers.
You are delighted !
But – This is trap, set by Builder.............................
Read more
16 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • There is always a scam for unwary buyers.There is always a trap for unwary investors-whether finaincial insttruments,Re.
    Be careful check,ask questions and do due diligence.
    Look at carpet space promised while viewing sample falt, so that you can make out whether sapciousness shown in sample flats are going to be there in actual flat.Paints,lighting can give illusion of more space.
    Be aware of the likely tricks when you compare sample with what is real.But some amount of faith is mandatory.
    Beyond that a stage will come when you will not be able to buy a property.
    CommentQuote
  • whenever possible insist on seeing a real flat even in an un UC building. It gives a bit of idea of how real place would be.
    The sample flats are so arranged one cannot get a real idea of the real place being offerred, the difference could not be easily spotted. I make it a point to ask thouroughly what is and what is not included in the actual flat, the comparision of the demensions of the sample vs actual flat. there are always fluctuations here and there. The sales person sometimes makes it clear sometimes not and that is where the trap is.... i remember climbing 9 floors to see the actual flat being offerred in an UC building... Later I was glad that I did..
    CommentQuote
  • Quite true. One of the reason (which builders do not clarify or share with prospective customers) is that the sample flat is fully furnished. This invokes the aspirations of the prospective buyer without knowing that "Most of the fittings & fixtures in the sample flat are customized for the flat". Meaning once you get possession of your flat and you want to get the same stuff of similar dimensions, you will have a tough time. Since builder has to sell so many flats, they spend extra on this gimmick to get special furniter built to hide apparent flaws/hideous layout or other issues.

Best of this I have seen is in Dynasty wakad.. builder does show a real sample flat in the building but the design is so stupid (5 walls in the hall - imagine ) that he has put up a funny shaped dining table (triangle i remember) to cover it up!!
    CommentQuote
  • The amount of money they spend in decorating Sample flat you can buy a bigger flat with that amount
    CommentQuote
  • "The amount of money they spend in decorating Sample flat you can buy a bigger flat with that amount""
    From builders angle,it is money well spent,if buyers fall for sample/show flat.
    CommentQuote
  • Everything is scam and loot in pune RE and not worth to buy.. better stay in rented apt for mere 10-12K and njoy life....
    CommentQuote
  • gaiwadp
    Problem with rented flat is the agreement will expire yearly or 22 months again you are in search of suitable flat.
    You get used to an area and then have to shift.
    Shifting is difficult and costly-packing stuff,many societies, don't let you use lift for bringing heavy things like fridges.Labor creates problems in such cases if heavy items are there and you are in 6th or 7th floor.
    So many daily issues.
    Change of address,again register LL agreement and so on.
    I strongly believe one should buy even a resale flat,if suitable or ready built flat.No u/c flats at all at the present time.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    gaiwadp
    Problem with rented flat is the agreement will expire yearly or 22 months again you are in search of suitable flat.
    You get used to an area and then have to shift.
    Shifting is difficult and costly-packing stuff,many societies, don't let you use lift for bringing heavy things like fridges.Labor creates problems in such cases if heavy items are there and you are in 6th or 7th floor.
    So many daily issues.
    Change of address,again register LL agreement and so on.
    I strongly believe one should buy even a resale flat,if suitable or ready built flat.No u/c flats at all at the present time.

None of my friends who r staying on rent have been asked to vacate flat from last many years. I think this is a overstated issue
    CommentQuote
  • "None of my friends who r staying on rent have been asked to vacate flat from last many years. I think this is a overstated issue""

But this possibility has to be factored in your decision making.
    There is a major difference between staying as a tenant and owner.
    Present time is a time to buy ready built/resale flats for self use and not investment.
    CommentQuote
  • vaibhav123,

I have been staying in same flat for past 4 years now & this time landlord asked me to opt for 3 year lease but I said no, lets have 11 months only. I even got basin, shower replaced. When I went & got double curtain rod as I wanted one dark one & 1 light one, the landlord paid me 100% of the amount despite my unwillingness. His logic was when I leave, the curtain rod shall remain there, so he should pay for it & not me. The RO filter was also installed by him. Agree with RP_Pune that this is the fear instilled by builder lobby how renting is bad. Infact, one of my friend who was on rent & left for Bangalore permanently, it was the landlord & his family who felt very sad. Not only he was loosing a good tenant but they also had become more like family. Once in a 2-3 months, the landlord used to call him for dinner at his home.

As far as this sample flat is concerned, it is more like deciding to marry someone whom you saw on social networking site & not in real life. What you may see as Cameron Diaz may turn out to be some B grade one in Tollywood. Builders call them as PROPOSED Cameron.
    CommentQuote
  • Real Acres,
    You have not got my point.My point is there exists a possibility of having to vacate.Can you plan,I will stay for three years definitely in a rented flat? Land lord may change his mind.He may get a better offer or some family friend may come to city for job,study etc.
    Getting a good tenant is difficult.I have seen some rented flats and so badly maintained by the tenant.But you do get good tenants who keep flat like own house.
    But I am talking from long term point of view.
    CommentQuote
  • I agree with Vaibav123. Good observations.
    CommentQuote
  • Off topic - Renting aptt.

Guys,

(Sorry - Just my view, though on off-topic content)

I feel striking that mutual-understanding-balance is important.
    If tenant assures good upkeep & maintains the flat & the Landlord (preferrably one who has bought the flat for long term & who is settled elsewhere) assures that he needs a good tenant for 3~5 years or so -- Both have a jackpot, tension-free life for that term (at the least!)
    Other than that -

Landlord wants:
    1. Rent on time
    2. No complaints/problems/legal issues - so basically a peaceful tenant

Tenant wants:
    1. Some minor/major repair work (if any) to be done without fuss by the landlord -- hardly a concern for relatively new flats.
    Consumable stuff is anyway to be replaced by tenant. (as I understand)
    2. Exit notice to be suitably discussed in advance!

Few Landlord-Tenants become friends!
    Few just meet while doing the LL agreement. Rest all interactions are Debt/Credit!

Either way, both get what they want = Best case scenario :)

Bhushan.
    CommentQuote
  • Bhushan,
    What you say is absolutely right.
    but in the real world things do not hapen as planned and relations between tenant and owner get strained.
    Rent gets delayed.Items in flat get broken and disagreements take place.
    If I have peaceful and well behaved tenant I dont mind taking Rs1000 less and give lease for even three years at a stretch.
    My parents stayed 25 years as tenants in same house(not flat) and vacated it when finally they had to shift to home town.
    We do have good tenants but many a time we get dificult tenants who create problems.They fail to take care of leakages,seepages and then society gets into act.Especially if you are far away or abroad it becomes dificult to handle.
    CommentQuote
  • Let's take the Rent VS owning issue in some different thread, as it is not relevant to this thread.
    CommentQuote