Modifications/Changes/Suggestions in an Under-Construction flat

Guys,

Let's make a detailed thread discussing modifications/changes/improvements that can be done in an under-construction flat/home.

To set the ball rolling:

Here is what I have on my wishlist:

1. Pull-up bar to be fitted on wall / ceiling (in one of the bedrooms)
2. Somethings to "put/install" on walls before painting gets done to make a room sound proof.
( Intention is to make it a music/recreation room. We have a couple of instruments & plan to setup a music system in one of the bedrooms. )

One query:
1. I will decide on 2 places where I would most likely put my TV. (One place is already in place in design), Should I get the wiring done at the other "place" too? is that possible? Is that advisable?

Any suggestions to look at / some holes to drill / some places to keep fixed or some pointers in a "under-construction" flat are welcome!

-- Currently the flat brickwork is done. The "whitewash-putty work" has just started --

Thanks,

Bhushan.
Read more
4 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Great thread. Let's keep it to the point, and not veer into any side track discussion.

1. Pull up bar in bathroom - especially near the Indian toilet in common bathroom. Parryware makes a 3ft steel bar with MRP 900 something. I will recommend such branded item. VERY useful for someone who may need it in future. ( I was down due to severe back pain, and could really use such bar in Indian toilet).

2. If kitchen is connected to any balcony, then putting the gas cylinders there and using copper pipe line to bring gas to kitchen stove. This increases the space under the platform, and increases safety in case of any leakage.

3. Full wall Tiles behind basin and in all baths/toilets. Also plain simple tiles under kitchen platform/in lofts in bedrooms. Helps in cleaning tremendously.

4. Position of lights n fans, provision for any chandelier/wall highlighter light.

5. Kitchen platform height. Ask the primary user of the kitchen (your wife/mom/yourself) to stand and fold their hands in the elbows 90 degrees out. Measure this distance from ground to elbow. Subtract 6 inches from this, this is the ideal height of the platform. 33 inches works very well, and 30-31 inches is a guaranteed pain.

6. If kitchen granite is not in place, think of going for full modular kitchen. Costly but totally worth it. Also, you may want to keep 4 inch backdrop granite patti behind kitchen 0platform, this helps in cleaning the platform.

7. Mosquito mesh for ALL the windows including toilet bathroom. A bug free lizard free house is a bliss.

8. Foot lamps in bedrooms.

9. Inverter connection from balcony/Loft. Even if you are not planning to buy inverter, still make provision for the same. Also AC provisions.

10. Ideally decide on every appliance place and don't shift it here and there. For TV, ask the electrician whether moving later will be possible.

11. I think some optical cables are laid out to make house 'future proof' and to add features such as automated Fan control, light n ac control etc. But I have no idea.

12. Sound deadening - no idea, though I am yet to see ANY meaningful setup on a continued basis in any flat. In a bungalow, yes. In a flat, very soon the room is claimed for some completely different purpose. Sorry I don't see much use in this.

13. False ceiling - I don't like it, but if you do, plan before hand.

14. Doors removal/entry widening etc.

15. I saw in some flats that all the door frames with no doors ( such as way from Kitchen to Hall, or kitchen to bedroom passage etc where there are no doors but only rectangular frames) people use granite framing. This looks good and is very easy to clean. One can consider this option as well.

16. Common geyser between 2 baths/gas geyser connection to at least one bath. Possible if bathroom is next to kitchen/balcony (keep the gas geyser n cylinder out of the bathroom if you value life).
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by TheTruth
    Great thread. Let's keep it to the point, and not veer into any side track discussion.

1. Pull up bar in bathroom - especially near the Indian toilet in common bathroom. Parryware makes a 3ft steel bar with MRP 900 something.

I was actually talking about Pull-up bar (for exercise). Like as in to do pull ups / chin ups at home.
    But, what you have suggested is an important thing.
    I will get it done in one of the bathrooms.

Originally Posted by TheTruth

2. If kitchen is connected to any balcony, then putting the gas cylinders there and using copper pipe line to bring gas to kitchen stove. This increases the space under the platform, and increases safety in case of any leakage.

3. Full wall Tiles behind basin and in all baths/toilets. Also plain simple tiles under kitchen platform/in lofts in bedrooms. Helps in cleaning tremendously.

5. Kitchen platform height. Ask the primary user of the kitchen (your wife/mom/yourself) to stand and fold their hands in the elbows 90 degrees out. Measure this distance from ground to elbow. Subtract 6 inches from this, this is the ideal height of the platform. 33 inches works very well, and 30-31 inches is a guaranteed pain.

10. Ideally decide on every appliance place and don't shift it here and there. For TV, ask the electrician whether moving later will be possible.

15. I saw in some flats that all the door frames with no doors ( such as way from Kitchen to Hall, or kitchen to bedroom passage etc where there are no doors but only rectangular frames) people use granite framing. This looks good and is very easy to clean. One can consider this option as well.

16. Common geyser between 2 baths/gas geyser connection to at least one bath. Possible if bathroom is next to kitchen/balcony (keep the gas geyser n cylinder out of the bathroom if you value life).

All excellent suggestions! :)
    Will definitely make use of the dry balcony in the way described.
    I am gaining on space in kitchen & safer insides.

I will also check on granite door frames & tiling options.

8. Foot lamps in bedrooms.

12. Sound deadening - no idea, though I am yet to see ANY meaningful setup on a continued basis in any flat. In a bungalow, yes. In a flat, very soon the room is claimed for some completely different purpose. Sorry I don't see much use in this.

14. Doors removal/entry widening etc.

Foot lamps:
    I will look at options of foot lamps! That's an awesome thing & this one thing I have always liked in well-lit homes/hotels.

@Sound proofing / Music friendly room:
    I am pretty sure the room is going to be as a recreation room - AT LEAST for next 3-5 years. So - any inputs on this would be appreciated.

@Doors removal/widening:
    Will check on this too.

4. Position of lights n fans, provision for any chandelier/wall highlighter light.

7. Mosquito mesh for ALL the windows including toilet bathroom. A bug free lizard free house is a bliss.

9. Inverter connection from balcony/Loft. Even if you are not planning to buy inverter, still make provision for the same. Also AC provisions.

11. I think some optical cables are laid out to make house 'future proof' and to add features such as automated Fan control, light n ac control etc. But I have no idea.

13. False ceiling - I don't like it, but if you do, plan before hand.

I am already checking on positions on lights & points.

Points 7, 9, 11, 13 are already put in by the builder.

I will ask about the TV point thing. Also will confirm about running cables.

Thanks a lot, TheTruth!

Excellent suggestions & thoughtful solutions.

:)

Bhushan.
    CommentQuote
  • @Sound proofing / Music friendly room:
    I am pretty sure the room is going to be as a recreation room - AT LEAST for next 3-5 years. So - any inputs on this would be appreciated.

For sound proofing, I can suggest rubber padding on the wooden door frame. And rubber padding on aluminium sliding windows.
    Use heavy curtains in that room to prevent reverberations. Jute wall hangings would be effective. Movie theaters use carpeting and cork (IIRC) layers on the walls to prevent echo.

Finally, it depends on the equipment that you will use for music. If you plan to use microphones, then you need one with echo cancellation (do not have much idea about such audio equipment). By music system, I understand it would not be a home theater like thing. There is no point setting up a home theater in a small room.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by bhushans

One query:
    1. I will decide on 2 places where I would most likely put my TV. (One place is already in place in design), Should I get the wiring done at the other "place" too? is that possible? Is that advisable?

I have done it in my flat as it is concealed wiring. If later on we want to put up extra point, it may not be possible with concealed wiring and will look bad. So, personally I will recommend to add.

Additionally, I have a few points to suggest:

Check if you want to add extra point for broadband internet connection.

Two way switch in bedrooms

Check if hole for gas cylinder is a bit higher from kitchen platform top. while cleaning the top, water will not enter the hole and hence down to wall below the top and the floor.

You may want to have concealed wiring for speakers (specially left surround, right surround), in case you plan to have 5.1 home theater system

Separate Miniature Circuit breaker (MCB), the device which trips in case of short circuit, for every room's wiring or two rooms together and suitable number of MCB(s) for heavy appliances like fridge, overn, gyser etc. This will prevent fault in room / load affecting entire flat. Also protect the equipments. My builder has provided it, so I need not make provision for it. Just check with your builder.

Provision for exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchen (mostly given by default)
    CommentQuote