Once you buy RE, the next step is typically furnishing it.

Do Pune old timers have any suggestions on where one can find good furniture at reasonable rates?

Like in the Mumbai-Thane area people have an option to buy at great rates from large furniture manufacturers in Ulhasnagar area.

Do Pune old timers have any suggestions on where one can find good furniture at reasonable rates?

Like in the Mumbai-Thane area people have an option to buy at great rates from large furniture manufacturers in Ulhasnagar area.
Read more
28 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by sudhashbahu

Its cheaper to buy from Ulhasnagar and get it transported, than get it done by some unreliable carpenter here.

I would even suggest chinese furniture for light duty stuff like center tables, computer tables, shoe racks, tv units, etc. It will last five years. Not good quality at all, but you will be left with some bucks. There is no point paying for most carpenters in Pune who waste material and charge a percentage of material.

It is my general observation that labourers in Pune are the worst. Charges are high, deliveries are slow and low quality. At least in Mumbai, you will get what you pay for.

Its cheaper to buy from Ulhasnagar and get it transported, than get it done by some unreliable carpenter here.

I would even suggest chinese furniture for light duty stuff like center tables, computer tables, shoe racks, tv units, etc. It will last five years. Not good quality at all, but you will be left with some bucks. There is no point paying for most carpenters in Pune who waste material and charge a percentage of material.

It is my general observation that labourers in Pune are the worst. Charges are high, deliveries are slow and low quality. At least in Mumbai, you will get what you pay for.

CommentQuote
  • In Pune, Rawat has good designs & price is also reasonable.
    Other option is to go to Guangzhou, China, select the goods, ask them to load it in container & get it shipped to Mumbai.
    I know couple of families who changes their entire interiors after 2-2.5 years, & entire family flies to China & gets everything done.
    Man, they got a sofa (sold as Italian sofa) for mere 27% of cost here !!
    Check out offers from Singapore airlines. They have offers like fly business class & get other free. Incase of economy, you can get even 50% discount on second seat. I had this offer but as I am single, it was of no use. :D
    CommentQuote
  • ekbote is good
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by INJAXN
    ekbote is good

But rips you in price. Also, they do lot of 'nakhares' for custom built.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres

yes they dont do any customization but the quality s much better than @home rawat big bazaar and many more ... this is my personal experience of buying from them .....
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Tangent
    yes they dont do any customization but the quality s much better than @home rawat big bazaar and many more ... this is my personal experience of buying from them .....

What about Tangent furniture ;)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres

agreed, but if one has finalized that he will buy and will not hire a capenter and buy wood by his own, I think ekbote is a good option.

I wanted a centre and a corner table, I visited @home, full-house, godrej interio, one more with house something..., 3-4 local showrooms in aundh (near reliance mart), and tons of local shops (single shutter), and finally bought from ekbote, qulity was far better from others.

Originally Posted by Tangent

yeah man, we should never buy from bigbzar, house full, they are sukhwanis of furniture building :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by INJAXN
    agreed, but if one has finalized that he will buy and will not hire a capenter and buy wood by his own, I think ekbote is a good option.

I wanted a centre and a corner table, I visited @home, full-house, godrej interio, one more with house something..., 3-4 local showrooms in aundh (near reliance mart), and tons of local shops (single shutter), and finally bought from ekbote, qulity was far better from others.

yeah man, we should never buy from bigbzar, house full, they are sukhwanis of furniture building :)

Once again, let me add... do consider Chinese furniture for light duty stuff like center tables, dining tables, shoe racks, study and computer tables, etc. Very cost effective. I am using a Rs 3000 computer table and Rs 2000 TV table since last six years with no problems.

Believe me, you will save lot of bother dealing with half brained but double arrogant Puneri labourers.

Go for heavy duty solid stuff for items like beds.

Most carpenters (in general) in Pune are cheats... in fact most labour intensive businesses in Pune are. My own bitter experiences. It is even difficult to get something done properly by an electrician or plumber. Even a rickshaw wala thinks that he is the smartest chap in Pune because he got you to pay double the fare (by taking advantage of your emergency) and still thinks he did you a great favour. I very often find Gauri Dange's articles in Pune Mirror very true.

For all that talk about helping Indian businesses, I see no reason to help cheats. Indian providers have to give me value for money, or at least stop cheating me. There was another thread here on Pune forum regarding interiors where there were cases of carpenters in Wakad/PS cheating customers.

Money is not growing on trees for me. If Chinese furniture is giving value, I will go for it.

I have lived in Mumbai too, and I find the place is somewhat more professional and "business ethical" than Pune.
    CommentQuote
  • Urban ladder

I have very good experience buying from URBAN ladder online.
    They provide Sheesham and teak wood furniture.
    Payment option is very convenient.

Finish is very good ......at par or better than EKBOTE. and they come with 1 Year warranty against any damage.
    CommentQuote
  • I am not sure if my question is relating to this topic but I have noticed that most of the Pune builder provide open balcony. Due the open balcony from top, there is no privacy. Can someone suggest how we can deal with this? I have thinking to put foldable canopy. Any other suggestion?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by kingmanish
    I have very good experience buying from URBAN ladder online.
    They provide Sheesham and teak wood furniture.
    Payment option is very convenient.

Finish is very good ......at par or better than EKBOTE. and they come with 1 Year warranty against any damage.

Seems very costly. Even simple beds are over 25000. And it is not teak wood, it says "Teak Finish" (whatever that means.. maybe they give it a look of teak, but it aint teak).

I know people who have spent lakhs on furniture... but I do not see value in spending so 5000 Rs for a bed side table.
    CommentQuote
  • There are lot of showrooms/workshops on kondwa-pisoli road. You can check out for custom made.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Sat234
    Seems very costly. Even simple beds are over 25000. And it is not teak wood, it says "Teak Finish" (whatever that means.. maybe they give it a look of teak, but it aint teak).

I know people who have spent lakhs on furniture... but I do not see value in spending so 5000 Rs for a bed side table.

Well What I got was Teak Wood and very good quality and finish product.
    I compared it in stores selling Sheesham and Teak furniture and it was better priced here.

Natural living provide good quality and authentic sheesham furniture but not everybody likes them
    CommentQuote
  • Instead of getting everything from one place it is better to buy as per item base.

Sofaset you can find good option in Kondhwa. But the 50% off sale at @home is also good.

To get custom beds I would say a carpenter ( preferably from Rajastan) can get it done very well. Check with some interior designer and he will have carpenter mostly from Rajasthan.
    Check out his work in few of the apartments where he has worked , check out the finish and custom feedback and make an informed decision.

Kitchen could be from Sleek or whichever you prefer
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Sat234
    Once again, let me add... do consider Chinese furniture for light duty stuff like center tables, dining tables, shoe racks, study and computer tables, etc. Very cost effective. I am using a Rs 3000 computer table and Rs 2000 TV table since last six years with no problems.

Where do find this chinese furniture?
    CommentQuote