Hi,
I have had a look at Lakshadeep Palace of GK Developers at PS. I liked the layout of 2BHK there and thinking of going ahead with the deal. They have availability only on 7th Floor of all the wings. can you guys shed some light on pros and cons of having a flat on last floor? like water problem in case of water shortage.

Regards,
Tushar.
Read more
20 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by tusharabh
    Hi,
    I have had a look at Lakshadeep Palace of GK Developers at PS. I liked the layout of 2BHK there and thinking of going ahead with the deal. They have availability only on 7th Floor of all the wings. can you guys shed some light on pros and cons of having a flat on last floor? like water problem in case of water shortage.

Regards,
    Tushar.

Your apartment will get hotter than usual during summer, and you may get some water leakage if the builder hasn't done his job well. But if the heat is not an issue because you are going air condition the apartment, and if the builder is half-decent, then I don't see any other problem.
    CommentQuote
  • Top Floor

Water pressure can be a prob if there is no hydro-pneumatic pump installed. Also, someone may jump from the terrace into your balcony. I have stayed on top floor & have experimented with all such things myself:D. The best part though:- You are not disturbed if someone is jumping upstairs:p.

* Just make sure you have good window sill outside so that rain doesn't come in, just incase the windows are open.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    someone may jump from the terrace into your balcony.

Personally, found people jumping into balcony/terrace of my ground-floor flat.
    Top floors are NO coz they heat up and ground floors are NO for lack of privacy.

My choice below top-floor and above ground-floor.
    CommentQuote
  • Normally builders are unable to sell their top floor and ground floor flats for various reasons - security, heat, leakage etc. So they try to sell those flats first, telling buyers that the rest of the flats are already sold out. That may very well be the case here. So dont jump to buying a top floor flat, do some research and find out whether there are actually other flats available. I stay in a top floor flat and face the following issues,

1. Its easily accessible from the top terrace. Someone can easily jump into your balcony. So a bit of a security problem.
    2. Flat gets extremely hot in summers. You definitely need AC
    3. Somehow pigions find the top floor balcony exciting to $hit all over. Have to clean it daily :D
    4. If lift is not working, be prepared for an extra workout
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by lazybone007

3. Somehow pigions find the top floor balcony exciting to $hit all over. Have to clean it daily :D

We had an issue of "honeybee nest" on the 8th floor of our building in Park Street :D The nest was damn in front of the master bedroom french window.

We had an issue of "honeybee nest" on the 8th floor of our building in Park Street :D The nest was damn in front of the master bedroom french window.
    CommentQuote
  • One more big problem will be resale-value.
    If the builder himself is unable to sell top floor flats, the same problem you will face incase you want to resale it after some time.
    Even if the flat is for end-use, you must consider its resale value in case due to any unforseen reason you may need to sell that flat.

Originally Posted by tusharabh
    can you guys shed some light on pros and cons of having a flat on last floor? like water problem in case of water shortage.

Regards,
    Tushar.
    CommentQuote
  • Top Most flat

1) Its difficult to vacate in emergency, like fire,earthquake etc.
    2) Many times I had read news in newspaper that someone committed suicide from high rise apartment.
    3)Lift takes more time to reach top most floor because it has lot of stops in between.
    4) Normally you can't reach top floor without lift. If there is some problem with lift you then you will suffer the most.
    5) if it is earthquake safe then during earthquake it can sake a bit. So there are chances that your furniture can move a bit,
    CommentQuote
  • Bargains

If you have decided to go for top floor flat then you can bargain with builder on providing the reflective, water resistant coating on all outside walls and top roof(terrace) of the flats. You can also ask for pop finishing w/o ay lossin height of flat in all rooms of that flat. Even if you have AC, you will pay more for it's power consumption, which can be reduced if you bargain with him for the above points.
    Bargain, Bargain and Bargain, That's Buyer's Right...
    CommentQuote
  • I also visited the same one-two months back. At that time there was availability on different floor also. Layout is good and the rate was 3100K(perhaps same or near to). What the rate they are offering? Please let me know also.
    CommentQuote
  • Pigeon & honeybee was really funny man:D. One more disadv:-

I have seen some projects where the dry balcony for kitchen is exposed to sky on top floor as well as 2nd top floor (coz they are alternate having about 20ft height). Hence, this can't be used in monsoons & putting up tin/shed doesn't work coz it results in water to flow in balcony of downstair flat.

However, there is an advantage of top floor as well:-

As you require more time in traveling in an elevator/lift, you can do some things there as well:p. Hey, not those type of things man.....I mean wearing your s_hoes, putting up the tie etc.

Taking our infra in mind (projects in totality), it is better to have flat between floor 4,5,6 in 11 floor building.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Pigeon & honeybee was really funny man:D. One more disadv:-

I have seen some projects where the dry balcony for kitchen is exposed to sky on top floor as well as 2nd top floor (coz they are alternate having about 20ft height). Hence, this can't be used in monsoons & putting up tin/shed doesn't work coz it results in water to flow in balcony of downstair flat.

However, there is an advantage of top floor as well:-

As you require more time in traveling in an elevator/lift, you can do some things there as well:p. Hey, not those type of things man.....I mean wearing your s_hoes, putting up the tie etc.

Taking our infra in mind (projects in totality), it is better to have flat between floor 4,5,6 in 11 floor building.

Another disadvantage of the top floor - Builder gets additional FSI for higher floors. :D So, people already living there can feel miserable due to (1) new construction coming-up above their heads. (2) Losing the happiness of living on the top of the world. :D
    CommentQuote
  • I observed small time builders who construct single building do not sell topmost floor, (Saying we are going to keep it for family). Most of the times, in reality, they are 'working' on additional FSI approval with their crook friends in PMC.
    CommentQuote
  • Top floor also means direct rains in your windows as very few builders construct window sills outside. I have stayed on top floor & had kept window of my bedroom open & when I returned, I found rain water on my PC:(.
    CommentQuote
  • i think the biggest problem will be heat... and sometimes people/kids using terrace can be a problem because their footsteps will make noise for you...

but personally i would prefer top floor because of privacy... and easy access to terrace..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by punerebuyer
    but personally i would prefer top floor because of privacy... and easy access to terrace..

That's true if no-one is in the terrace. Once in my current building where I stay, I was on terrace talking brisk walk at night & guess what I was enjoying a good view nearby as they didn't know that there could be someone on terrace as wellD.
    CommentQuote