Two important factors to be considered when buying property

Last updated: January 22 2015
6 | Posts
1109 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two important factors to be considered when buying property

Two big "neglected" factors that consumers should not ignore when looking for an apartment - pollution & cleanliness (in and around the property). Believe it or not, but both these factors have shamed India & unfortunately nothing is being done. And sadly, these negative factors are affecting the Indian lifestyle.

It still amazes me on how people seem to ignore pollution. Pune is now in the top 10 polluted cities in India. Out of all apartments I have visited recently for various housewarming functions in the city, they have failed the basic pollution test, which just indicates that there is a huge lack of awareness among people when purchasing properties. Pollution is now ranked 5th among the causes of deaths in India.

I spoke to my friend, who bought an apartment in Baner & he said that there is not much choice if you want all the good places close to you. So if I understand right - you are ok with risking your health to have good places close to you? Another friend bought property that is close to a proposed DP road just indicating that he is fine with heavy traffic so close to his place.

Cleanliness is critical to any housing complex to prevent diseases. With dengue cases on the rise in Pune, it has become important to choose property that is away from garbage dumps, has good rain harvesting arrangements & yes, good housekeeping in place. The extra money that you would spend via maintenance fee for pest control is worth more than spending money on cultural activities.

A friend of mine, who works in a city department office in Chicago, rightly said - in US, people try to stay away from high density market areas and crowded roads. In India, it is the opposite.

Anyways, I wanted to put this in front of buyers and experts to get some views. Based on my experience, the above two factors are not considered by majority of buyers.

So my question is - are these not important when looking for a property? Considering that the Government & our irresponsible citizen friends (sorry, if I offend people but that is true) are not doing much to save our country from pollution, what role should we (buyers) play so that our kids can enjoy the benefits in the future?

Few links:
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45624410.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45916630.cms

Garbage woes now at Model Colony
    Last edited January 19 2015, 09:23 AM.

Re : Two important factors to be considered when buying property

@pnq2012, the factors you listed are important and should definitely for part of a buyer's decision process.

However that is in an ideal world.

Currently few people buy for own use, most are looking for capital gains. And those that do buy for own use are looking for the deal that makes sense financially with the hope that in the next few years, everything will be all right.

So we have people buying near proposed garbage dump in the hope that dump will not materialize (or that if it materializes, it will be superbly maintained by PCMC/PMC).

remember people are willing to buy houses without legal clearances, roads, water supply etc.

Comment

pnq,

Talking about pollution ?? Yes, agree but that doesn't mean one should live in some jungle, please don't scare leopards atleast.
      Chicago & rest is fine, but you need to see the QUALITY OF LIFE in US. Even in countryside areas, you dial 911 & help reaches you in under 180 seconds. Here, even in prime location, it can take 30 mins.

And man, forget pollution, in US even if fumes are present in house due to seepage's, it is declared unfit for living. And here we have 1 year old flats having showers inside !!

Also, I haven't come across buyer in US who opts for pre-launch offers & had Pune's builder been in US, atleast 90% of them would have been penalized heavily & kicked out of business.
      So, forget pollution, first we need to have assurance on quality & timely delivery of flats.

When a person is hungry, he needs some food, no point in asking him to wait for 2 days & then offer 5* brunch !!

And to cut down pollution, we first need to cut down on population. It is said that by 2025. India will over-take China in terms of population.
      If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Originally posted by realacres View Post
        pnq,

Talking about pollution ?? Yes, agree but that doesn't mean one should live in some jungle, please don't scare leopards atleast.
        Chicago & rest is fine, but you need to see the QUALITY OF LIFE in US. Even in countryside areas, you dial 911 & help reaches you in under 180 seconds. Here, even in prime location, it can take 30 mins.

And man, forget pollution, in US even if fumes are present in house due to seepage's, it is declared unfit for living. And here we have 1 year old flats having showers inside !!

Also, I haven't come across buyer in US who opts for pre-launch offers & had Pune's builder been in US, atleast 90% of them would have been penalized heavily & kicked out of business.
        So, forget pollution, first we need to have assurance on quality & timely delivery of flats.

When a person is hungry, he needs some food, no point in asking him to wait for 2 days & then offer 5* brunch !!

And to cut down pollution, we first need to cut down on population. It is said that by 2025. India will over-take China in terms of population.
        Actually in the US, most new homes are bought unseen - the land and plans are given and the product delivered later. Same as here. However - if someone gives a bad product even once, the builder is finished - both by consumer courts and also by the authorities.

Personally, when I was looking for places - my 1st criteria was pollution (air/noise). I left many places due the proximity of a busy chowk, busy road, mangal karyalay (in that order). Pollution is relatively easy to anticipate. It is the cleanliness that is the tough one.

How do I know that the community I move into will have garbage collection issues once developed? Or that stagnant pools of water will be generated? In the US, the communities are large and active - so all such issues are taken care of in 90% of places. In India within most societies where the members are active, cleanliness issues are taken care of, but the moment you leave the gate - it is someone else's problem. So if my society sewage is left open and flows on the road - someone else can complain for years, but no action will be taken. The govt can be blamed for everything, even though 50% of the time, ourselves we can solve the problem. We do not have organized groups to tackle cleanliness in a whole suburb. That may be the need of the hour...

Comment

When I was searching for my first home, I used to stay near kothrud depo. Travelling to karve road was so tiresome that I decided not to buy anywhere in kothrud and Warje area. I ended up buying in wakad which was very calm and pollution free in 2006. Now I see surge in noise and pollution levels near my place

Comment

Originally posted by Sj2013 View Post
            When I was searching for my first home, I used to stay near kothrud depo. Travelling to karve road was so tiresome that I decided not to buy anywhere in kothrud and Warje area. I ended up buying in wakad which was very calm and pollution free in 2006. Now I see surge in noise and pollution levels near my place
            This is due to complete absence of master plan for the city. If you know the master plan, you can buy accordingly. There is no scope that you buy a low rise only to see a high rise next door after few years. All the land is manipulated & plans changed to benefit politicians & their crony builders rather than looking at entire city.

In West, there is a post called as 'City Architect'. He is non-transferable & appointed directly by state authorities, or to keep it simple here, no corporators or MLAs can influence what he does.

The work of such architect is to consider entire city as his project & make implementations which can sustain the city for atleast 25 years. There was a proposal for the same even for Pune, which was forwarded by citizen groups but as usual it was shot down by Cong-NCP for obvious reasons.

In this matter, Bangalore is way more well planned & has much better vision than Pune, despite lower RE rates.
            Forget West, even if Pune implements what Bangalore does, it will help Pune citizens a lot.
            If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

@sudhashbahu - I get the investment point but if we keep that aside, as a buyer, does it even matter if a place is in a polluted area? From what I can tell - if you don't see pollution, then there is no pollution. Could that be the mindset for people have? Same goes with clean neighborhoods - do buyers have the attitude "it is dirty everywhere" & move on?

@realacres - good points. My comparison with Chicago was not to expose India's drawbacks but the Indian buyer's mentality? Why is it that everyone wants to be close to the city? Not to save fuel? What is the mindset behind living in a noisy, polluted place & compromise on health for you and family to enjoy what? One reason I can see is the "social" aspect and that too from a family perspective. They want to be close to each other, at a walking distance but most of these are from the previous generation - uncles, aunts. The new generation has lot of options in front of them - what attracts the new Indian buyer to the city chaos and pollution? Don't tell me because you can walk to all the good places to eat

@jigpun - you bring up a good point about garbage collection. Look at the mess PMC has made. They cannot handle the garbage in the top city locations and they want to acquire more villages. Don't you think that instead of improving, things are deteriorating? To keep things into perspective of Pune city, PMC is simply unable to cope up with the growing population in the city. So either we simply do not care if garbage is lying around on the streets or we do not realize how dirty our city has become & we all are to be blamed. But that is a separate topic - moral responsibility towards society.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
              Working...
              X