In response to this post IGRM has asked me to implement a system that does something like this. So, that has been done. Please consider this a trial run to see how we like it. I thought this was a worthy enough addition for it's own thread, but will also link to it in the normal "new changes" thread.

I did not remove the "Thanks" system, and do not intend to. That system has it's benefits that are not related to this.

It also does not currently affect the user titles, "member", "senior member", etc. That is based solely on post count. I might can alter this or remove it altogether but for now we'll stay as is.

However, with this system we as a community on a member by member basis can help determine the validity of each other. This is how it works.

- You will notice a little grey square under member's names in posts they make. This grey square means they have not yet received any feedback. Since this is a new system, no one has any feedback. I will make it so I and IGRM has lots, so you can see what it will look like then. (The mouse over text will not change for us, as I'm just hacking the image in)

- Lower, under that, you will see scales icon next to the "report post" icon. This is what you click to give positive or negative feedback.

- You will give good or bad feedback, and if you want - say something about it.

- As members get more and more good feedback, the gray square will turn green , and more green squares will appear.

- As members get more and more negative feedback, the gray will turn red and more red squares will appear.

- Someone with lots of positive feedback, may look like this:

- Someone with lots of negative feedback, may look like this:

- You will also notice "Reputation Power", with a number. This is how many points a user gives or takes away with each feedback. Admin have a power of 10. Members 1. However, for every 100 points a member gets, their power factor will increase by 1. So, once you get 100 points, each time you give or take away from a user, it will do it by 2. If you have 400, you will give 5 points per click.

- I could make it so how long you have been registered or how many posts you have also add to your reputation power, but have chose not to do so.

- You must have minimum post count of 10 to use this system.

- You can only give 10 a day.

- You must give to 5 new people before giving to the same person again.

Please see attached image. We can tweak some of these settings if we need to. I can adjust the power multiplier if we feel we need to, or add additional limits so when you hover a mouse over the squares it will be more accurate to tell how many someone has.

(Right now, it will tell you "someone has over 10", then "someone has over 50", "someone has over 100", etc)

Again, please know this is a test of this system, if we like it we'll keep it, if we don't we won't. Some of the values can be adjusted to fit our needs. Since no feedback has been made yet, it is empty and rather bland. It will take a little time to become relevant. :)

Hope you enjoy!
Attachments:
Read more
19 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • CommentQuote
  • Nope, what is done can be undone. As I said, it's a trial run :)

Of course member comments are considered. Why do you think the system was put in to begin with? This is a powerful system that has the potential to allow the community to show themselves and new comers who here is really worth listening to, and who may should be taken with caution.

Any and every thing we do can be exploited or abused. We can't shy away from everything from fear of this. It is not so people can gather friends and have a scoring competition and I don't foresee a bunch of that happening. That is why there are daily limits, a spread limit (how many OTHER users you have to give feedback to before going back) and a minimum post count to use.

Of course, if this doesn't work, it can easily be removed.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear ADMIN,

I feel that the very idea of categorizing members, is like taking certifying the member's posts. Which is not the job of IREF. Simply remove the description "junior member", "veteran member" etc, no power system, nothing. Lets the posts be judged by its contents, and not by the content of previous posts by the same member.

Let us keep the post contents separate from the user posting them. This means, a post can be liked or thanked or disliked, but that would not affect the member's credibility in any way.

Without being disrespectful, let me give a few examples:

1. Zohaib has given tremendous knowledge here. u implement any system to rank members, he will surely be rated very highly. hence when sometimes he writes absurd/rash, that will still be seen as coming from a grand veteran member. the person in highly knowledgeable - but not that particular post. I have seen him write exactly contradictory posts on diff time, and most find both of them right!

2. A person can be thanked/liked even for non RE posts. e.g., MANOJa posts several good jokes everyday. this gives him a lot of thanks. It is a coincidence that he actually is a wise person! but this shows a possible failure point in the system.

The problem with reputation is: many members happily swallow bullshit coming from a reputed member. This is much more dangerous!
    CommentQuote
  • Those are very fair points!

I do not agree that you shouldn't let a member be valued by their previous content, after all the previous content is what is used when you form lasting opinions on someone. It most certainly should be considered.

However, the part about someone getting a great reputation and then going bad is valid. I thought about that at one point. I would hope, though, that someone who got good enough reputation would not want to do that, and would rather want to live up it.

But, in that respect you are right.
    CommentQuote
  • let this new process begin.... nothing is perfect from the day 1... even dirty stone will take time to become diamond....

Once we have more clarity and benefit... we may change it again... no issue.. Now we have active admin who is full filling our wishes...
    CommentQuote
  • Phases......I just have enough time to write this.

What Mr.Fatichar is Fearing and you thought about ACTUALLY has a solution in THE VERY SYSTEM....I proposed and what the admin has
    Implemented..

ANSWER: If any member has become a senior or veteran...THEN it DOESNT mean that His Posts CANNOT BE DISLIKED ......

This system would in fact keep the semiors and veterans UNDER check...as even if they become seniors...and they Give Bullshit.....people CAN dislike them and eventually they will LOSE their status as Senior or Veteran if they CONTINUE...

Imagine this....if No such system....THEN IT MEANS ONCE YOU VETERAN...OR SENIOR....you can give any vague or meaningless comment and untill unless you start abusing , etc Your status remains !!!!!

In YOUR system....The posts of senior or veteran will continue to be judged....and Liked or Disliked....so if a senior can become a veteran by Good posts....A senior can also LOSE his status by Bad posts.

Regd Manoja worried about Brokers....arent there enough brokers and individuals who are going to any lengths in fabricating wrong resale rates, builders reputation ....Look at 90% posts in all 3C projects....you will know what I mean......what anyone could do about it.....???

But with new system....if one observes that a group of brokers are helping each other through meaningless Likes and Dislikes,..YOU CAN REPORT IT.....

At least some control will be there

All the best......waiting for my Taxi....On the way to airport.....

I just hope that this forum becomes a proper RE forum where RE is discussed.....in full seriousness....
    So if anyone joins...he knows...the panel of seniors or veterans ARE TRULY KNOWLEDGABLE.....not just keyboard friendly men/women who have free internet and time in office
    OR IF YOU WANT IT SIMPLE:

Then please remove tags like senior, veteran, etc and make each and everyone a MEMBER

Pls Remove the ''No of Posts'' display from each ID

bring everyone to ONE platoform.

As honestly Majority of Senior and Veteran members dont even know Real estate properly...and are Learners themselves
    And when people seek advice from them ''seniors advice''....they are not looking at the right place....
    Anyhow...I gotta go....

India....UP....here I come....its Election Time..thrilled to witness it LIVE in action....!!!!!

:)

Bye Bye
    CommentQuote
  • If the earlier system had flaws ( as u yourself r saying, they were there & were being exploited ), the upgraded system should be curbing those flaws & not become an tool to let People with wrong intentions exploit it further . That is my whole point .

I am in wait & watch mode here . Let's see, how the new system goes & hopefully, my fears r proven wrong .

Originally Posted by zohaib2012
    Phases......I just have enough time to write this.

Regd Manoja worried about Brokers....arent there enough brokers and individuals who are going to any lengths in fabricating wrong resale rates, builders reputation ....Look at 90% posts in all 3C projects....you will know what I mean......what anyone could do about it.....???

CommentQuote
  • Nice initiative....
    One suggestion ....please change "rep power" to "reputation"...
    It's more clear to new users who have not gone through this explanation post..
    Red and green dots under "reputation" will be self explanatory for everyone then...

Cheers,
    CommentQuote
  • No matter, how much such people try to convince that they have changed & have no hidden personal agenda behind their new-being, I can't believe them. Anytime, they can deceive back.

Just a caution to end users : BE CAREFUL. BE INFORMED. DON'T BELIEVE ENTIRE WHAT IS WRITTEN BY THESE EXPERTS ON THIS FORUM. ITS THEIR PROFESSION, UNLIKE MANY OF US WHO ARE END USERS.

I'll keep reading this forum & hope I don't get surprises again "SOMEONE REVEALED" in future.

To Admin, if some rules are changed for the benefit of few users, please let members know about it. Just to keep transparency.

Happy learning. Hope end users get their house which they will turn to HOME.
    CommentQuote
  • The new reputation system is certainly an excellent grading tool and soon most of the veteran members will realize that it works better. It would certainly reduce a lot of unwarranted fights (negative incentive for a fight)

There are a lot of new members who cannot express in so many words but can easily identify the best contributors. Keep it up.
    Only downside of new system is when people utilize multiple ID's. However, they would soon realize it is a short term gain but long-term loss.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear Admin,

Two other threads(shown below by MANOJa Bhai) are running parallel to this thread and members are posting on them.

If technically possible please merge all three threads so that views can be seen and evaluated by you in totality.

Finding it difficult to keep track of all the three.

Thanks

DP

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by commener
    Dear Admin,

Two other threads(shown below by MANOJa Bhai) are running parallel to this thread and members are posting on them.

If technically possible please merge all three threads so that views can be seen and evaluated by you in totality.

Finding it difficult to keep track of all the three.

Thanks

DP

I merged those two threads but left them there. Please reserve this thread for discussion of the new reputation system that was announced here, continue with IP discussions there.
    CommentQuote
  • Agree with Fritlo Bhai !!!!!!

Let's not write off the new system without giving a chance !!!!!

As mentioned by Admin, if it does not work, it can be srapped anytime !!!!!

Lets hope for the best !!!!!!

DP

Originally Posted by fritolay_ps
    let this new process begin.... nothing is perfect from the day 1... even dirty stone will take time to become diamond....

Once we have more clarity and benefit... we may change it again... no issue.. Now we have active admin who is full filling our wishes...
    CommentQuote
  • Dear IGRM/Admin,

A small suggestion. IREF has been in existance for quite a long time now !!!!!

Some members such as MANOJa/Fritlo/BlessU/Saurabh/Gharondabhai etc. has contributed immensely in past to this forum !!!!!!!

In new system their contribution is not at all reflected !!!!!!

In my opinion, their contribution to IREF must be acknowledged in incorporated in new system !!!!!!!

Rather then starting from sratch, I would request you to evaluate their contibution and reflect accordingly in New Reputation System !!!!!!!!

Thanks !!!!!!!

DP
    CommentQuote
  • Members may go through their post history and give reputation if they like - but for Admin to step in and do it, we'd need to do it for everyone to be fair.

That's not really a realistic option.

Starting from scratch is okay, they will build reputation quick if they continue contributing in the ways they always have :)
    CommentQuote