There is a new likes system installed that has a few advantages over the traditional thanks system.

You should see "Like" in the bottom right corner of posts now. You can use this to "Like" a post.

Once a thread has started to accumulate likes, it will then start to show a "<3 LIkes" icon at the top of the thread when viewed. You can click this to see how many likes it has, and how many per post.

You can sort by the "Top" likes.

So, basically you can click this on long threads to see which posts have made the most impact, and click to go to it. Easier than skimming the whole thread.

We may find we can remove the thanks button if we like this better.

Attached is what you see when clicking the "<3 Likes" at the top of a thread, as it expands down. (This picture is taken from a different forum so I could show one in use)

See the main announcement thread as an example. I have thanked a post there.
Attachments:
Read more
20 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Kindly put a "Like" button instead of a link. Its too small and almost invisible.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by miketest
    Kindly put a "Like" button instead of a link. Its too small and almost invisible.

Will be added shortly. Thanks
    CommentQuote
  • My suggestion is that while you are testing the system & have both 'like' & 'thanks', why don't you tie them (like=thanks & thanks=like). Otherwise the voter is confused whether to like the post or say thanks.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by unreal
    My suggestion is that while you are testing the system & have both 'like' & 'thanks', why don't you tie them (like=thanks & thanks=like). Otherwise the voter is confused whether to like the post or say thanks.

Agree to the same. These need to be clubbed together or get rid of one of them. :) :)
    CommentQuote
  • Could disable "Thanks" for now, and put "Like" button in its place..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Phases
    Could disable "Thanks" for now, and put "Like" button in its place..

Yes this is a good idea
    CommentQuote
  • I think the idea is to slowly phase out thanks instead of abruptly disabling it
    CommentQuote
  • Suggestion: Take out this 'heart' shape from the 'like' option. It's not a dating site :) Let it be a simple word with no pics.
    CommentQuote
  • Yup instead of heart let's put a thumbs up icon.
    CommentQuote
  • Good idea, I agree!
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks button has been removed while we try out this Likes system. We will replace the heart Icon as well. :)
    CommentQuote
  • Like button looks good now! Cheers.
    CommentQuote
  • The developers of the product have confirmed the feature "ability to disable likes notifications" due in the next update.

:)
    CommentQuote
  • Another Suggestion: I guess it would be great to have two more features apart from the 'Like' feature, i.e. 'Dislike' and 'Recommended'. I am suggesting something in the lines of Times Of India's online comment section. They have 'Agree', 'Disagree', and 'Recommended' links with every comment.

There are so many posts in IREF which are not liked by many, so having a 'Dislike' link would have a mass appeal. Moreover its human nature to dislike something more easily than liking the same.

Similiarly the 'Recommend' link/button would help people recommending a particular post. Also, I would suggest to let go the 'Thanks' button. It is not really solving any purpose. The 'Recommend' button will solve the 'Thanks' button's purpose as well.

So here is the summary of my suggestions:
    1. Provide a 'Dislike' button.
    2. Provide a 'Recommended' button.
    3. Take off the 'Thanks' button.

Lets make IREF a better place to intract!
    Thanks.
    CommentQuote
  • I'm afraid a dislike button would hurt too many feelings and start us down a path that may do more harm that good. It's an interesting thought though. I'm not sure anyone out there has ever thought to try to imploy a "dislike" feature, other than in comments on news sites. Where if they are disliked enough, they hide and you have to click to view them.

But in an environment like this, I don't think that would be used in a useful enough way to not be abused or to cause relevant posts to go hidden for new users. Making the reading and following of a thread/conversation painful to do.

Recommend.... Eh. Like "Share".. You could just link people.

Thanks button has been removed, yes?
    CommentQuote