I have a few suggestions -

1) While going through different threads of the forum, i have often seen one or more members accusing other members of being brokers or hurdling accusations on each other of trying to influence decisions. I would suggest, that whenever, such a situation arises, instead of accusing someone of being an agent/broker etc. , the administrator/forum coordinator needs to be appraised of the situation & let the administrator decide on the intent of the accused. This would help in -

a) creating a much more cordial atmosphere for healthy discussions.
b) A member's comment unnecessarily won't get maligned,
c) stopping the , (sometimes) motivated blame game.

2) Storage limit of the private messages can be increased.

3) Whenever, one intends to add a new thread & starts typing on the Title Field , titles of similar content should be visible to him, so that he does not repeat on a previously existing thread.( not sure how this would be implemented , but I think computer techs., would be able to suggest a better solution to the problem)
Read more
284 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by McLordGanj
    Think of having a 'spam' link also where users can declare some post totally unrelated to the thread

We already have & having something similar might be confusing, especially for New users of the forum . Also, it may not add any real value .

CommentQuote
    Do away with PM. It looks like an under the table deal..
    Every communication should be transparent. Allow sharing email addresses.

This has to be a policy decision, but allowing deals to happen & sharing of contact details would be totally against the present policy . Allowing sharing of contact details, sale/purchase here may also destroy the credibility of the forum & also the current largely unbiased nature of discussions .

Yes, PM's are being misused by some ID's & we need to look at it again, but i guess the pros of PM's outweighs the negatives .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    We already have & having something similar might be confusing, especially for New users of the forum . Also, it may not add any real value .

I am sorry, I had never noticed this 'Report post'
    CommentQuote
    When a new member signs up, he should be made to choose an option box A. I am a broker B. I am not a broker, and that status should be visible below the name in all posts

The Forum is already considering something similar . Currently, pros & cons of this r being assessed .
    CommentQuote
    Senior and veteran should be based on the 'likes' they have received rather than number of posts

Yes, u have a point, but then, Likes can be easily manipulated by a Group & making it a basis of Seniority could be an issue .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    Yes, u have a point, but then, Likes can be easily manipulated by a Group & making it a basis of Seniority could be an issue .

But this is much more difficult than just posting lousy posts to increase number of posts. After all, I don't think anybody will openly solicit to receive 'like'

I think there are many who keep on posting without any substance just to be able to PM
    CommentQuote
    But this is much more difficult than just posting lousy posts to increase number of posts. After all, I don't think anybody will openly solicit to receive 'like'

I think there are many who keep on posting without any substance just to be able to PM

I understand your point, but then the Forum needs to weigh Pros & cons of all such important changes . Admin. keeps a tab on this thread & if they feel that your suggestion would help in the forum to improve, u could see it implemented:).
    CommentQuote
    When you click on a thread , it should go to the last page of the thread rather than the first

This image to the left of each thread title should take you to your last unread post:

Originally Posted by McLordGanj
    Think of adding a 'dislike' option also

Have considered..

Senior and veteran should be based on the 'likes' they have received rather than number of posts

I do not personally like the post count method, but it is indeed tried and true. I do agree another method should be developed, though. I'm not sure 'likes' should be the sole decider, though.

Do away with PM. It looks like an under the table deal..
    Every communication should be transparent. Allow sharing email addresses.

PM system is a vital part of a community like this. People should be able to talk privately - for multiple reasons. Private from the general public that is. Naturally, we have access to everything in our database.
    CommentQuote
  • Just want to add a few things here ... Why to have this discrimination of senior Member, Veteran etc. .. Look all I am trying to say is we all know that the criteria by which one gets a next level is not at all concrete and needs improvement … you can yourself cheery pick the examples of Veterans who actually doesn’t deserve to be one ….. No disrespect (even I could be one of those someday because of no of posts J ). So I think it is better to decommission this entire arrangement till we develop the appropriate way of finding the eligible Id’s for next level ( It would be better not to have a Veteran then having one who doesn’t deserve that tag ).
    Thanks!!
    Pratts

CommentQuote
  • Well getting rid of the label is easy enough - but seeings how post count is currently what drives that, the benefit of having it is that it does in fact give some incentive, some drive, for members to be and remain active to help elevate themselves.

Is it a perfect criteria for those titles? Well, no. But nothing else will be perfect either. If we use the like system we will find flaws and cliques formed to take advantage of that too. Anything we use as both a sole or a partial criteria will have it's flaws. Even staff or "veteran" members doing the hand picking will have its flaws and negative feelings from other members..

I'm all for coming up with some other way to figure out who gets these labels but I don't know that I want to remove it altogether in the meantime. I will take IGRMs opinion on this.

One thing to think about though, is perhaps a different way to promote/reward active posting, so that post count can still matter - if not for the user title.
    CommentQuote
  • Till date I got total 158 Likes and most of the like I got from "Jokes of the Day" thread. If we will count "like" for veteran member, I think again it will create other problems.

Better to make "reporting of spam" a criteria for veteran membership. Although Senoir or Veteran membership is not a big deal in such a big forum. What matter most is suggestion and valuable post for a new and existing members.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Minisec
    Till date I got total 158 Likes and most of the like I got from "Jokes of the Day" thread. If we will count "like" for veteran member, I think again it will create other problems.

Better to make "reporting of spam" a criteria for veteran membership. Although Senoir or Veteran membership is not a big deal in such a big forum. What matter most is suggestion and valuable post for a new and existing members.

As Phases said, anything used for criteria for titles ( Veteran, Senior Member etc...), both as a sole criteria or as a partial criteria will have some flaws .

The point is that the current system may not be perfect, but it is probably the best among, what has been suggested till now & we need to get along with the Current system, till a better one gets evolved:) .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Phases
    I do not personally like the post count method, but it is indeed tried and true. I do agree another method should be developed, though. I'm not sure 'likes' should be the sole decider, though.

Likes as a percentage of post count could be a good criteria...
    CommentQuote
  • I think News Items should also go uncounted because we also copy and past it like jokes,aspirational quotes etc. :)
    CommentQuote
  • There is no end to this . One liner posts should also not be counted . Meaningless posts also should not be counted . Aggressive posts targeted at other members should not be counted . Posts which r just in response to or meant for fighting should not be counted . Also, all likes to all such posts should not be counted .

........i can come up with a long list...........& as i said, there is no end to it .
    CommentQuote