I have a few suggestions -

1) While going through different threads of the forum, i have often seen one or more members accusing other members of being brokers or hurdling accusations on each other of trying to influence decisions. I would suggest, that whenever, such a situation arises, instead of accusing someone of being an agent/broker etc. , the administrator/forum coordinator needs to be appraised of the situation & let the administrator decide on the intent of the accused. This would help in -

a) creating a much more cordial atmosphere for healthy discussions.
b) A member's comment unnecessarily won't get maligned,
c) stopping the , (sometimes) motivated blame game.

2) Storage limit of the private messages can be increased.

3) Whenever, one intends to add a new thread & starts typing on the Title Field , titles of similar content should be visible to him, so that he does not repeat on a previously existing thread.( not sure how this would be implemented , but I think computer techs., would be able to suggest a better solution to the problem)
Read more
284 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Just a thought

Dear @MANOJa / @cookie / @Phases / all others with whom I have not interacted too often J
    We all agree here that the current Algorithm of promoting a member to Sr. Member/Veteran is not good enough (good part is that I will not have to convince everyone for this) Now the big question is how to fix this, as we all know that we don’t have a way out here and will have to continue with this approach till we develop a new approach (which at present looks beyond us) .
    I follow one concept in my life “If you can’t win a Game … change the rules “and that’s the trick here. Why can’t we swap the” Sr. Member” and” Veteran” to “Active Member” and “Super Active Member “ respectively and the way to identify that would be as follows
    1. Every new Id will remain New member as per the rules that we are following currently
    2. Once any New Member cross that limit (No of post) He/she will be eligible to become Active / Super Active member depending on the no of posts per day/Week/Month (this criterion will be on Mod’s to decide). We can decide on % criterion if a person cross certain % in a week he becomes Active / Super Active Member and the moment his % goes below (say no post for a week) he becomes a normal member again.
    I could see two benefits of this approach
    1. The designation “ Active /Super active member “ will give a correct impression of any Id instead of telling everyone that one is a Veteran of this field it will say that one is very active on IREF .
    2. Now everyone will be having a fair chance to be in that League.
    3. Activity level on IREF will Increase.
    That’s all I could think of as of now. Will be happy if we can implement this and will not feel sad if you trash this idea as It might be a crazy thought.
    Thanks!!
    Pratts

Originally Posted by MANOJa
    There is no end to this . One liner posts should also not be counted . Meaningless posts also should not be counted . Aggressive posts targeted at other members should not be counted . Posts which r just in response to or meant for fighting should not be counted . Also, all likes to all such posts should not be counted .

........i can come up with a long list...........& as i said, there is no end to it .
    CommentQuote
  • The term veteran,senior member brings in a sense of responsibility in the member who is posting views/opinions.
    The term active member,super active and hyper active member does not bring in this connotation.
    Purpose of this forum is to learn,educate,get educated,enjoy some jokes,read inspiring quotations.
    This forum should become a first point of reference for anyone choosing to get info on a specific project or any other clarification.
    Present system is adequate in terming members as senior,veteran etc.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear Vaibhav123,

I felt really good that there are Veterans like you who really understand the responsibility that comes along with the word Veteran and we all expect the same from all others ... but the question is “ How many Veteran/Sr. Members understand this ? “ .

You very correctly said that IREF is used as reference point before buying/selling any property by many of us (almost like an encyclopedia of Real estate in INDIA) and that’s something which should make us even more responsible.

I don’t have any problem with using Veteran/Sr Member but I definitely have a problem with the way one reaches Veteran-ship (for the matter of fact I can become a Veteran, even when I don’t know anything about RE, if I post 1000 posts on IREF be it be a Hi hello post on every thread but if the method that I suggested above will be applied I don’t stand a chance to be anything more than a Member as my post count remains less than 1 per day J ). Let me try to explain Rather ask you a Question Will I be a veteran in your POV if I will reply to all the post in every thread by just writing “good post I like it “ or one liners like that (by doing this I am sure within 6 months or less I will reach 1000 posts) ?? I know your answer will be a BIG NO?? Right…… that’s my point.

What happens Is when a new member of IREF asks a Qus in any thread regarding any property and gets an answer from a veteran, who is a veteran because of his posts not because of what he know, a Newbie gets an impression that a Veteran response means something… which may not be correct just because that particular Veteran doesn’t know much about a particular area and is just putting a generic view.

I am quoting again “These are just my thoughts and there could be many who think otherwise “.
    Vaibhav123 - Lets leave it on Mod’s and ppls who are more involved in designing and maintaining IREF to decide if they buy my argument or trash it and We can discuss it on PM if you still feel my thoughts are crazy J .

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks!!
    Pratts

Originally Posted by vaibav123
    The term veteran,senior member brings in a sense of responsibility in the member who is posting views/opinions.
    The term active member,super active and hyper active member does not bring in this connotation.
    Purpose of this forum is to learn,educate,get educated,enjoy some jokes,read inspiring quotations.
    This forum should become a first point of reference for anyone choosing to get info on a specific project or any other clarification.
    Present system is adequate in terming members as senior,veteran etc.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks for the feedback's on the titles (Veteran, Senior Member, Member etc..) of the Members .

As said earlier, anything used for criteria for titles (Veteran, Senior Member etc..), both as a sole criteria or as a partial criteria will have some flaws .

The point is that the current system may not be perfect, but it is probably the best among, what has been suggested till now & we need to get along with the Current system, till a better one gets evolved .

Admin. is committed on evolving the best possible & acceptable/reasonable system:), so relax & let Admin. take a call at an appropriate time .
    CommentQuote
  • I am not sure whether it is appropriate to put this msg here.. Please delete it if you find it inappropriate.

By any chance IREF is planning to design an app to be used in smartphones/tablets? I am not techie guy and I dont know whether it can be done or not.. What I feel is, it gives easy access and saves time. let me know your thoughts on this... I am sure this forum helped me and others in many great ways and it's just taking it to an another level!

Pardon my ignorance if there is already one exists... :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by GS1983
    I am not sure whether it is appropriate to put this msg here.. Please delete it if you find it inappropriate.

By any chance IREF is planning to design an app to be used in smartphones/tablets? I am not techie guy and I dont know whether it can be done or not.. What I feel is, it gives easy access and saves time. let me know your thoughts on this... I am sure this forum helped me and others in many great ways and it's just taking it to an another level!

Pardon my ignorance if there is already one exists... :)

There r applications for smartphones/Tablets to access various Form websites .

Tapatalk is a forum app for iPhone, Android, and . Then there is Forum Runner smart phone app., which is available for Android and iPhone in the app stores .

IREF doesn't have its own exclusive application for accessing IREF . I use Tapatalk & it is pretty good & user friendly . Give it a try .
    CommentQuote
  • hi admins,
    i see a few related threads which are always active. these are bubble is set to burst, bubble will burst, builder bull theory wrong or something like that, and a couple of more on the same lines. since the content is more or less the same, can we merge all this threads or close some of them retaining just one?. because it will reduce the time.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by wrongun
    hi admins,
    i see a few related threads which are always active. these are bubble is set to burst, bubble will burst, builder bull theory wrong or something like that, and a couple of more on the same lines. since the content is more or less the same, can we merge all this threads or close some of them retaining just one?. because it will reduce the time.

This has been discussed internally & the forum decided to keep them separate, as some of them r more city specific & some r generalized . If we merge them all, we would be breaking continuity & may create total confusion .
    CommentQuote
  • Another suggestion for classifying veterans and senior members.

I can think of a qualitative way to add on to the quantitative way(500/1000) right now based on likes.
    Ideally, I would classify veterans as 5000+ posts or 1000+ likes.
    Senior Members : 2000+ post or 300+ likes
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ashish18
    I can think of a qualitative way to add on to the quantitative way(500/1000) right now based on likes.
    Ideally, I would classify veterans as 5000+ posts or 1000+ likes.
    Senior Members : 2000+ post or 300+ likes

Likes can be easily manipulated by a Group of members ( then can be Brokers or somebody looking to manipulate or somebody looking to gain/upgrade his Likes status ), working in sync . Also Likes many times tend to be more of instant reaction/s . Just an example, if u r a Bull & somebody makes a point supporting a Bull, u might just Like him in the heat of the moment, but your Like may not be what i term as a "Universal Like" . If their is a dislike option, many Bears would dislike the same post .

..........so likes r more of an expression of agreeing to that post ( for whatsoever reasons ) & clubbing them with classifying Veterans, Senior members & others might not really be a fruitful/effective way .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    Likes can be easily manipulated by a Group of members ( then can be Brokers or somebody looking to manipulate or somebody looking to gain/upgrade his Likes status ), working in sync . Also Likes many times tend to be more of instant reaction/s . Just an example, if u r a Bull & somebody makes a point supporting a Bull, u might just Like him in the heat of the moment, but your Like may not be what i term as a "Universal Like" . If their is a dislike option, many Bears would dislike the same post .

..........so likes r more of an expression of agreeing to that post ( for whatsoever reasons ) & clubbing them with classifying Veterans, Senior members & others might not really be a fruitful/effective way .

Dear Manoja,
    will agree to some extent. But then many likes are true appreciation to the information and insights provided my members which i consider as qualitative :)
    I was just trying to figure out qualitative yet objective way. Although that would be still biased, but i sometimes tend to hold the guys with good number of likes as a genuine veteran :)
    CommentQuote
  • Back to back postings should be discouraged. Some people do it just to increase post count. I have seen people with 10 back to back posts in same timeframe

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by AJAY_GGN
    Back to back postings should be discouraged. Some people do it just to increase post count. I have seen people with 10 back to back posts in same timeframe

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I know & i agree, but there r some back to back genuine posts too .

............anyways, Admin. would be looking at your suggestion .

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ashish18
    Dear Manoja,
    will agree to some extent. But then many likes are true appreciation to the information and insights provided my members which i consider as qualitative :)
    I was just trying to figure out qualitative yet objective way. Although that would be still biased, but i sometimes tend to hold the guys with good number of likes as a genuine veteran :)

Yes, i know, we have many Likes which r true appreciation of the post, but as i said, quantitative way of basing the Seniority has many -ves too .

...........i believe that Phases is looking at new systems on this & hopefully he can find something which satisfies most members, if not all .
    CommentQuote
  • One immediate way to control ids from posting combative posts (as against factual ones) is to immediately downgrade the membership one level down if the mod has to intervene. No questions straight down grade and going up would mean again accumulating (say) 300 posts for example.

There are lot of posts where ids go all out to prove a point and that is not the intent of the thread.
    CommentQuote