I have a few suggestions -


1) While going through different threads of the forum, i have often seen one or more members accusing other members of being brokers or hurdling accusations on each other of trying to influence decisions. I would suggest, that whenever, such a situation arises, instead of accusing someone of being an agent/broker etc. , the administrator/forum coordinator needs to be appraised of the situation & let the administrator decide on the intent of the accused. This would help in -

a) creating a much more cordial atmosphere for healthy discussions.
b) A member's comment unnecessarily won't get maligned,
c) stopping the , (sometimes) motivated blame game.

2) Storage limit of the private messages can be increased.

3) Whenever, one intends to add a new thread & starts typing on the Title Field , titles of similar content should be visible to him, so that he does not repeat on a previously existing thread.( not sure how this would be implemented , but I think computer techs., would be able to suggest a better solution to the problem)
Read more
Reply
284 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by pkgandhi
    MANOJa sir,
    Since the thread has already veered off-topic into suggestions mode, I will add one of my own. I think it would be a good idea to add a "dislike" option, to complement the "like". One can argue it will hurt the feelings of some posters, but I think it will improve the overall quality of the forum by discouraging members from making posts which other members think are of a low quality.


    This has been discussed mutiple times . Use the search option and u should find one . Please post all suggestions here - https://www.indianrealestateforum.com/forum/iref%C2%AE-lounge/questions-suggestions/10798-suggestions-for-improvement-of-the-forum?t=13156

    End of the discussion for me on the ongoing discussion on Moderation . If somebody has anything to add and suggest, please PM me .
    CommentQuote
  • I think its now pretty clear. If you post anything critical of this govt, the post will be deleted. It does not matter if the post is in context of the economic policy, its impact on jobs, RE or whatever.

    No explaination will be offered or a note posted by admin to explain their action.

    And I totally understand it- Its admins forum, so they can keep what they like and delete anything.. or everything else. Leaving no trace.

    Their way or the highway.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Magadh_Pride
    I think its now pretty clear. If you post anything critical of this govt, the post will be deleted. It does not matter if the post is in context of the economic policy, its impact on jobs, RE or whatever.

    No explaination will be offered or a note posted by admin to explain their action.

    And I totally understand it- Its admins forum, so they can keep what they like and delete anything.. or everything else. Leaving no trace.

    Their way or the highway.


    Can u not discuss/criticize the Government in the Off Topic Forum ?............why has it to be discussed here?......these threads r not meant for Political baiting/discussions . I have repeated this "N" number of times .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    Can u not discuss/criticize the Government in the Off Topic Forum ?

    No.

    This is about the govt - its policies and its impact (or the lack of it) on the economy. Unless ur telling me that Govt policies has no impact on jobs/ inflation/ RE and that it operates in vacuum. In isolation.

    The off-topic forum is about party politics, accusations and bickerings. The policy doscussions dont belong there.

    Party and Govt are different in my understanding.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Magadh_Pride
    No.

    This is about the govt - its policies and its impact (or the lack of it) on the economy. Unless ur telling me that Govt policies has no impact on jobs/ inflation/ RE and that it operates in vacuum. In isolation.

    The off-topic forum is about party politics, accusations and bickerings. The policy doscussions dont belong there.

    Party and Govt are different in my understanding.


    See u seem not to understand the problem . People start with criticizing the policies of the Government and then end up bashing the Political party behind the Government .

    .......btw, who has stopped u from discussing economy/inflation/polices in the Off Topic Forum ?
    CommentQuote
  • Going by your logic Mr Admin, this whole thread should be moved to the off topic forum.

    Can you tell me what has EPF discussions got to do with RE bubble bust?

    Why is that not off topic and the deleted post was??
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Magadh_Pride
    Going by your logic Mr Admin, this whole thread should be moved to the off topic forum.

    Can you tell me what has EPF discussions got to do with RE bubble bust?

    Why is that not off topic and the deleted post was??


    Can u tell me what EPF discussions have to do with bashing Political Parties ?

    Political discussions r not allowed, where does EPF come in between this ?
    CommentQuote
  • Very typical to answer a question with another question.. I asked what has EPF discussions got to do witu Bubble burst. Why are these not off topic?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Magadh_Pride
    Very typical to answer a question with another question.. I asked what has EPF discussions got to do witu Bubble burst. Why are these not off topic?


    ...............simply because the Forum bars Political discussions in the main threads, there is no bar on discussions which may be somewhat related & happen because of some Post/News Article which is not Political .

    I hope, i am loud and clear . Political discussions are not allowed . Political bashing in guise of criticizing the Government is not allowed .

    End of this discussion for me .
    CommentQuote
  • Another suggestion

    Originally Posted by MANOJa
    See u seem not to understand the problem . People start with criticizing the policies of the Government and then end up bashing the Political party behind the Government .

    .......btw, who has stopped u from discussing economy/inflation/polices in the Off Topic Forum ?


    Sorry Manoj. Yet another suggestion and I'm posting instead of messaging you because it may get better with inputs from others.

    Deleting a post is presently being done for 2 separate types of reasons ...

    1. Objectionable post - these need to be deleted anyway
    2. Posted under the wrong thread - deleting these seems again like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

    The logical thing to do with mis-allocation to wrong thread would be simply to re-allocate to the right thread.

    To give an example ... if one has allocated money meant for fixed income into stocks and is pointed out the mistake, will they throw away the money? Or will they sell the stocks and put the money into fixed income? :)

    Anyway, the technical solution would be to allow the Mod to switch the thread tag of offending post from current thread to intended/correct thread so that the post would then show under the newly allocated thread inserted in correct chronological order.

    The poster may be PM'd to inform them that their post has been re-allocated. In fact, the post's original position in the first thread may still be held with a link to the new thread.

    This way, only posts with objectionable stuff can be deleted and the posts under wrongly selected thread would still be saved.

    I'm not arguing or discussing. Pls consider this and see if this could be done as it would prevent a lot of acrimony in your/mod direction and "guide" posters to gradually change habit to post under relevant threads. People will switch from calling mods Big Brother to Brother again! :D

    cheers
    CommentQuote
  • See, we have something similar available and we can move posts, send a PM and all the works, but with the amount of Off Topic/Political Posts being made, this is really not possible .

    Instead members need to get into the habit of knowing where to post what, this especially implies for Senior/veteran members .


    Originally Posted by wiseman
    Sorry Manoj. Yet another suggestion and I'm posting instead of messaging you because it may get better with inputs from others.

    Deleting a post is presently being done for 2 separate types of reasons ...

    1. Objectionable post - these need to be deleted anyway
    2. Posted under the wrong thread - deleting these seems again like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

    The logical thing to do with mis-allocation to wrong thread would be simply to re-allocate to the right thread.

    To give an example ... if one has allocated money meant for fixed income into stocks and is pointed out the mistake, will they throw away the money? Or will they sell the stocks and put the money into fixed income? :)

    Anyway, the technical solution would be to allow the Mod to switch the thread tag of offending post from current thread to intended/correct thread so that the post would then show under the newly allocated thread inserted in correct chronological order.

    The poster may be PM'd to inform them that their post has been re-allocated. In fact, the post's original position in the first thread may still be held with a link to the new thread.

    This way, only posts with objectionable stuff can be deleted and the posts under wrongly selected thread would still be saved.

    I'm not arguing or discussing. Pls consider this and see if this could be done as it would prevent a lot of acrimony in your/mod direction and "guide" posters to gradually change habit to post under relevant threads. People will switch from calling mods Big Brother to Brother again! :D

    cheers
    CommentQuote
  • We have already lost many/ most of the veteran contributors due to the way the forum is being run in a high handed manner by supermen. Admin needs to consider the suggestions for forum improvement, but instead most are dismissed with contempt.

    You can create feifdoms, but they are of no use, if there is no one left to rule over! We are reachinv that stage fast. Let personal ego not come in between this.
    CommentQuote
  • We have discussed this repeatedly . Let me repeat it the last time -

    Political discussions are not allowed in the main threads . Political bashing in guise of criticizing the Government is not allowed .

    If u find sticking to & following the rules as highhandedness, i really cannot help it .Viable suggestions of members have always been considered & that is why the Forum has continuously improved and grown, but insisting upon allowing Political bashing in the main threads is something incomprehensible . We cannot allow anybody to post anything anywhere & spoil the very structure of this Forum . We cannot allow the Forum to become a place where it is "Free for all" & where everybody is abusing/bashing/name calling/making Personal attacks on other's amidst Political bashing .

    We cannot allow Political discussions in the main threads as it has led to many valuable contributors leaving the forum and not the way u have put it .



    Originally Posted by Magadh_Pride
    We have already lost many/ most of the veteran contributors due to the way the forum is being run in a high handed manner by supermen. Admin needs to consider the suggestions for forum improvement, but instead most are dismissed with contempt.

    You can create feifdoms, but they are of no use, if there is no one left to rule over! We are reachinv that stage fast. Let personal ego not come in between this.


    Originally Posted by MANOJa
    ...............simply because the Forum bars Political discussions in the main threads, there is no bar on discussions which may be somewhat related & happen because of some Post/News Article which is not Political .

    I hope, i am loud and clear . Political discussions are not allowed . Political bashing in guise of criticizing the Government is not allowed .

    End of this discussion for me .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    My post simply means that if Moderators feel that any Post can invite Off Topic/Political discussions or is at the verge of breaking a rule or could incite trouble, the said post and the responses to it can be deleted by the Moderator on his discretion . What Posts get deleted and why is off course reviewed on a regular basis .

    You are not responsible for how your posts gets interpreted, but Moderators r responsible for Moderation and keeping the thread on track & Mods. actions r solely meant for that .

    We have a database of who has done what/what rules have been broken & by whom and also a database of all deleted posts . So, if an pattern is observed here on who is looking to silence an member by turning an non-toxic post into a flash point, suitable action is being taken . Just to add here, we are in the process of refining this and much more with automation .


    While, others as well as I have to defer to the fact that you own the board, and that everyone wishing to post here has to play by your rules, your assertion that a poster can somehow exercise thought control on the person responding to his post is downright ridiculous.

    Not only that, the idea that even questioning a Mod’s decision is disallowed, is kind of North Korea-ish!!!

    As for the issues raised, you may be right about disallowing political discussion here but what’s with the aversion to bringing up Government policy?

    How can one have a meaningful discussion on Affordability and Value of RE without discussing Monetary Policies and Governance, respectively. Not to mention the fact that the Government is not only complicit in the RE bubble but can actually be considered an active facilitator and, now a preserver.

    And, let me say this again, there was nothing in my post, or @Tyler Durden; 's reply to the same that would have warranted a deletion.

    I have often appreciated your fair and balance approach to moderating, but this was completely unreasonable and uncalled for.
    Just because the board got overheated earlier due to certain politically oversensitive folks does not mean we all pay the price for it.

    Your clarification that this was a preemption to avoid chaos and disorder frankly falls short too. I mean even at its worst, folks can only call each other names. I am yet to hear of a single case where someone has been able to step out of a person’s monitor and stab them in the eyeball with their political beliefs.

    You know, as flawed as our democracy is, the Fundamental Right to Freedom of Expression and Speech has been one beacon of hope in this mess of a country. And over the last decade and a half, I see the same being challenged more and more.

    I plead you to let this board live with all the vibrancy of ideas and thoughts stemming from the brilliant brains here, including those that may disagree with this.

    Below is one of my favorite quotes on the topic at hand:

    “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
    -Commonly attributed to Voltaire, but actually from his biography by Evelyn Beatrice Hall (as I found out recently).

    In the course of verifying the authenticity of the above, I also found a quote by Voltaire himself, which is even more relevant here:

    “The supposed right of intolerance is absurd and barbaric. It is the right of the tiger; nay, it is far worse, for tigers do but tear in order to have food, while we rend each other for paragraphs.”

    This is the kind of Free Speech I believe in Manoj. Anytime you put conditions to it, it’s no longer free. Put enough conditions and even the speech is gone, as you must have witnessed last few days.

    Thanks for your time, brother. And as always, thanks for doing what you do.
    CommentQuote
  • I agree with Durriewala Sir. Manoja sir is in charge here, but members need to be treated like adults, not school kids.
    CommentQuote