Is this News is good News or Bad News for the Members?
Read more
170 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Good news now I am expecting some good moves
    CommentQuote
  • I am not sure that housing bears will be tolerated if broker owns the forum.

Broker was one of the worst names people used to call each other in this forum.
    CommentQuote
  • I dont want to be a member of a commercially oriented forum.

In all probability all ids will be compromised along with email ids, etc to a commercial forum making it easy for the pathetic builders like BPTP, Raheja, 3C, Parsavnath, ERA, Landmark, PAL, Orris, Triveni, Earth, Spire, etc

There have earlier been instances wherein legal notices alone were sufficient to scare indianrealestateforum owners and remove the genuine threads with grievances.

While Indian realestate forum may have made money, the real essence and spirit remains with us who contribute selflessly.

These may be few of my last posts on the forum.

BYE BYE

Cheers
    CommentQuote
  • All the talk about neutral discussion forum up in dust.
    This might have been the biggest case of shit being sold as gold.

Bye bye iref.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by BlessU
    Hi
    Greetings

Absolutely.. I dont want to be a member of a commercially oriented forum.

In all probability all ids will be compromised along with email ids, etc to a commercial forum making it easy for the pathetic builders like BPTP, Raheja, 3C, Parsavnath, ERA, Landmark, PAL, Orris, Triveni, Earth, Spire, etc

There have earlier been instances wherein legal notices alone were sufficient to scare indianrealestateforum owners and remove the genuine threads with grievances.

While Indian realestate forum may have made money, the real essence and spirit remains with us who contribute selflessly.

These may be few of my last posts on the forum.

BYE BYE

Cheers

True!!!

"If they are not selling something to you, then they are selling you to someone!!!"

I am sure that the unimaginative blokes at housing.com will come up with the bright idea of selling user data to marketers/advertisers and hide this fact under some complicated privacy policy which will be updated every 6 months. On top of that, they will sell this "strategy" to investors and claim themselves to be a big-data startup.

The fact that IREF used to provide transparent and unbiased opinions was because of its users. Now that housing.com has bought it over, both the transperancy and the unbiased opnions will be questioned.

housing.com should first work on improving its own website and provide something new when compared to the likes of 99acres, magicbricks, commonfloor. Using VC money routed through the APAC region has become like a loop-hole for foreign money to enter into sectors where FDI is not allowed.

A LOT ...i mean A LOT of posts on housing.com for apartments on rent are just bait and switch posts. you cannot the broker and then he will tell you that, that apartment has just been rented out (how convenient) but they have a different one to show you. last year, the apartment we rented out was on housing.com for more than 2 months after moving in when it was clearly out of the market once we paid the deposit...so thats a total of 3 months.

And I am not sure of the business model of propequity, but the propequity founder comes on NDTV property every day to provide "unbiased" recommendations. Earlier, I was amazed that how can a property show be telecast every single day of the week. I soon found out that it was nothing more than an advertorial. Some callers call in with their queries, that Samir Jasuja from propequity throws some random data at them and the recommendation 95% of time is a GO AHEAD. Also, i think they are using the just dial model where along with the project in contention, they also provide names of 2-3 other projects in the same category with a GO AHEAD.

There is no disclaimer whatsoever on what kind of compensation the expert and NDTV are receiving for these words of wisdom. I am sure it must be hidden somewhere in font size 1 in the credits, but it is not obvious!

And this is where the conflict of interest lies. housing.com is not known for the sophistication of its management for sure. One of the founders has been booked for negligent driving leading to death of his co-passengers and the other one is stupid enough to write emails to VCs asking them not to poach his employees. Why not "engage" your employees so that they do not leave your company? Also they are your employees not your slaves!! And lastly, your employees leaving your company is YOUR problem, not the problem of the companies they are heading to!! I think every enterprenuer blindly acts like Zuck or Steve Jobs and try to rationalize their arrogance and their stupidity.

the fact that traditionally all media in india is favoring builders, even housing.com will pander to the needs of the builders and developers as thats where the real money is. I shudder at the thought of what would happen, if somebody posts something negative on this forum who is a housing.com partner...like tata homes for example.

I learnt a lot from this forum and its members, but now i guess its time to say BYE BYE!!!
    If i was interested in paid news and views, I would read the times of india!!! :bab (59):
    CommentQuote
  • We already receive SMS from developers

Wts guarantee dat not already shared?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by attestedcopy

I learnt a lot from this forum and its members, but now i guess its time to say BYE BYE!!!
    If i was interested in paid news and views, I would read the times of india!!! :bab (59):

Good point.

I started reading IREF sometimes in 2011-12 when I was under pressure to buy RE because a) everybody needs a home to live in and b) because prices were rising every day. However, somewhere I was not sure that these prices are for real. I started looking on the internet for other like minded people who thought this was a bubble and ended up here. This blog gave me the assurance that there is indeed a bubble and thankfully I did not buy then.

Joined IREF later and had a lot of fights with the bull - documented in the Gurgaon bubble burst thread and I made the prediction that RE prices will not be up more than 50% from the 2011-2012 peak even by 2020 whereas Nifty will triple from the Jan 2014 level of 6000 and reach 18,000 by 2020.

Though 2020 is 5 years away but I guess the bubble is burst now and investing in equities (I went all-in after Modi win) is looking like a better decision compared to RE. Hence, I don't write as much as I used to. I still look forward to the posts of members like Venky regarding the future direction of various asset classes. So I will hang around if members like Venky do but even if I leave, there is not much I will miss hopefully.
    CommentQuote
  • Change is part of life.
    Today IREF has been purchased by Housing.com
    Tomorrow housing.com may itself be purchased/taken over by some other entity.
    Database of users will also go into hands of new buyer.
    Probably IREF should give option of user to opt out without letting email ids and other information of user also being handed to another entity.
    Phases and IGRM should consider this opt out possibility.
    All this is part and parcel of commerce and business.
    CommentQuote
  • Who were the owners of the forum? Any clues? It was setup in 2006, and would have come a long way in the past 9 years.
    CommentQuote
  • Housing.com buys Indian Real Estate Forum for $1.2 Million - The Tech PortalThe Tech Portal
    Extract:
    Housing.com is a Mumbai-based company which recently received funding of about $90 million in December from SoftBank and Falcon Edge Capital.

Its competitor – Commonfloor raised funding from Google Capital in January. Last year, it raised two funding rounds.

While the buy-out seems to be a perfect match, it still may seriously dent IREF’s images, considering that member may start feeling a bit of Housing influence on a platform,which has been designed for being independent.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rdhawan15
    Who were the owners of the forum? Any clues? It was setup in 2006, and would have come a long way in the past 9 years.

I have been visiting IREF for several years now but dont know who are the owners. Woh chup chaap paisa banake chalegaye aur hum bak bak karte reh gaye. Congratulations on the 8 cr booty smart guys!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    Change is part of life.
    Today IREF has been purchased by Housing.com
    Tomorrow housing.com may itself be purchased/taken over by some other entity.
    Database of users will also go into hands of new buyer.
    Probably IREF should give option of user to opt out without letting email ids and other information of user also being handed to another entity.
    Phases and IGRM should consider this opt out possibility.
    All this is part and parcel of commerce and business.

HOPE THE FOLLOWING IS ADHERED TO

https://www.indianrealestateforum.com/terms_and_conditions
    11) Registration: We do collect your e-mail address when you register on our forum. However, we do not share your email address with 3rd parties and your email address will never be sold onto a 3rd party. Your e-mail address will be stored in a secure database hosted on a secure website. We only use this address to send you your password to enable you to log into our forums or to send you e-mail notices if you have elected to receive them on your profile page. If you complete the profile facility in our forums, it will be viewable by other users, but other than that, we make no use of it. If you have any queries about this site or our privacy policy, please contact us on admin (at) indianrealestateforum.com

Cheers
    CommentQuote
  • BlessU,
    I only hope handing over of database of users to new owners was not part of deal.
    The policy was never to share with third party,but with ownership changing hands,data also will be handed over.
    It is the database and reach of members which is important.
    Many members will drop out.
    Bearish tendencies will not be welcome in future-that is my reading.
    Whatever be the matter all the best to new owners.
    Probably some of the senior members can start something new and we can carry on exchange of info.
    CommentQuote
  • Wont Give it Back !!!

Dear BlessU, Venky, Catbret and all other Members(Irrespective of the Vintage),

I have a little different take on this development.

We all had joined IREF while looking for unbiased advise and we found a great forum that helped us in developing great insight into RE market of India. There was nothing like this that existed before and I can bet nothing like this will ever get created.

All of us in some point in time have provided valuable insight into various issues and held on to belief that "UNBIASED" would the code for IREF.

How does it change now ? How can our views get impacted just because an organisation that is 2 years old and with tonnes of cash is investing in this forum. On the contrary it augurs well for all of us. Someone has just put some value to unsolicited or solicited advise that we used to give and would continue to give in future.

Infact to those who believed in this forum and have immensely contributed to it, need to stick onto this more than ever now. IREF is much bigger in reach now, RE market is much bad in shape now, Builders are more corrupt then before, and brokers have polluted this forum more than before....

So who is going to keep it going. We didnt come here for IREF nor we joined this for any commercial gains. At the end of the day we all know that there are no free lunches.
    I didn't who the founders were and I give a damn who owns it now.

We came here to take advise, learn from others experience and once we were sure of something, share with the others....

This forum was neither for bulls, nor for bears. There are opportunities in all kind of cycles if someone wants to make money from RE. Secondly the need to own a house would never go away even if Sensex hits 100000 one day...

So let it go the way its going and only your decision to stay back will save the hard earned money of existing and future participants in this forum....

This space always belonged to those who wanted to help others and now those with their commercial interest want to take it over...

Take a call from your mind and say "Wont Give It Back"...

RA.
    CommentQuote
  • IREF was a nice forum to spend lot of time.It has been an addictive experience for me and useful in knowing about RE and tricks played by players in the field.
    But now with take over,there will be a paradigm shift in focus and I dont want to state the obvious thing which will happen soon enough----
    Probably the last few more posts of mine in the forum.
    Experience was good and it was nice interacting with really knowledgeable and helpful members.
    rushilarora,
    As usual you write well and sensibly.
    But one has to take into a/c the pattern of ownership which will now lay down rules.
    While it may be premature to say that bears will no longer be welcome,but IREF may not be the same anymore.
    I off course hope that I am wrong.
    CommentQuote