Anybody returned/will return/planning to return to India for an early retirement after working outside of India for a number of years?

What kind of financial planning you have done for your future?

Thanks
Read more
90 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Exactly...

You should only do your duty ... Because that is all that is in your hands. The end result is not in your hands, or you are not the cause of end result. Therefore you should not feel happy if you pass or sad if you fail. You have worked hard for the whole of the year and taken exams, thats all that matters. Whether you pass or fail, that was not caused by you, therefore you have no right over the consequences.

That is why Brothers fought against brothers, and some were also killed. Did they get into guilty mode that they have killed their brother... No... Because they were just doing their duty
    Originally Posted by dpkmjn2012
    I read somewhere this and find useful in this discussion -

Thousands of people miss the obvious in this shloka. The word "phal" means "fruit", which denotes consequences, NOT goals! Nowhere does Shri Krishna imply that you should be aimless; on the contrary, your aim is SUPPOSED to be your "dharma".. or "duty". You may have goals, plans, actions; you may become extremely skilled and/or resourceful; you may be dedicated to a career - all that is normal. Arjun was the BEST warrior in the world!

ALL SHRI KRISHNA IS SAYING IS, you do not have an automatic RIGHT to EXPECT a certain result!!! There are other forces at work in this universe. Don't worry about them! Do your duty!! Let the chips fall where they may!!!! Whether you get what you want or you don't, it's all Krishna's will.. you don't need to get emotionally wrapped up around it.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by dpkmjn2012
    YES I was also thinking on that fashion . .. if you are 25 then 15 yeras is a good enough to plan . . . .investgreat .. I am planning on 2 yeras . . . .:-) me in early 30s

Only 2 years ? .. You must have a good plan in place already? What is it?
    CommentQuote
  • Sheeshu,

I would suggest you to not follow anyone’s plans as all have a equal possibility of win and lose.
    I am not able to share my plan (As it is not very superb or exciting-believe me), moreover, I am little eccentric and keep experimenting most of the times which obviously bring many pleasant and un-pleasant surprises.

In cut short – I want to push my family in a zone where their daily needs are fulfilled and my child is having REASONABLE recourses to perform, rest is GOD.

I myself, would keep earning J , may be not like today, as I would lead my passion and will work for that with someone who can even pay me the survival amount , So you could say it is not a typical retirement plan coz I would be working. In fact I doubt what people refer when the say retirement as I feel you just need to know your goal before it is too late.

Yes, I worked and working on having very specific basic needs (Believe me I am not compromising) and I find many things are not that costly if you know your actual needs, having said that you should have not any EMIs to pay and having reasonable investments and assets for future.

So my theory is to work both sides, make assets and keep eliminating your false needs.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi, I am an NRI and living abroad for almost 10 yrs now. Targetting to retire by 42-43(6-7 yrs to go). When planning early retirement I would first suggest to look at what responsibilites you have and how much liability is there then target accordingly.

I am trying to do following :
    (1) Buying 20gms gold every year (atleast till I retire)
    This will greatly help as its most liquid in nature, and if you have child then cost of his/her marriage goes down drastically in future with accumulated gold
    (2) Buy property with reputed developer , first property should be with an aim of your family living so kind of decent size and location
    (3) Buy second property in a location which has good upside potential in future and is relatively cheap, this will be a good hedge for your child education e.g. studying abroad
    (4) If you have extra cash say 50Lacs and you need 40K per month for living expenses divide that as below:
    60months x 40000 = 24Lacs
    Put rest in FD i.e. 26Lacs 11% you get 52Lacs in 6.54 years
    This method helps to some extend to cover monthly expenses at the same time you grow the money ensuring you maintain liquidity in case of emergency
    (5) Create an SIP which should include 5 to 10 stocks to top companies of each sector and do monthly investment
    (6) Buy commercial space if you can afford to get good rental yield and appreciation.

Other tips :
    - Folks with less age should think about regular savings(in FD) which has far more compounding effect
    - Pick funds to get exposure to any of the asset class there are multiple varities present

Above all note 1 think which Mr Buffet says "Price of anything is the cost of hedge" , in our context it means that
    - Cover your life by insurance (pure insurance is cheaper)
    - Ensure your property is insured as well with self and third party

cheers
    Viks
    (6) Buy commercial space if you can afford to get good rental yield and appreciation.

Other tips :
    - Folks with less age should think about regular savings(in FD) which has far more compounding effect
    - Pick funds to get exposure to any of the asset class there are multiple varities present

Above all note 1 think which Mr Buffet says "Price of anything is the cost of hedge" , in our context it means that

cheers
    Viks

Other tips :

cheers
    Viks
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by zorin111
    Hi Gharondabhai...

Lets not start from the exam .... Exam is the culmination of one year of hardwork... Lets focus on that one year... If the process is flawless, if we have learnt what we were meant to, then pass or fail absolutely, does not matter. because in your heart you know that you know. Why wait for an year to take a test, you can take a test any day of your choosing, and I will be prepared... Thats the essence of Karam Kiye jaao... I will work to the best of my abilities... and rest is in Gods Hands... unfortunately, we focus more on Gods Hands and less on "Karm Kiye Jaao". He says... Do your best and leave the rest to me... But we focus more on manipulating the REST rather than focussing on doing our BEST.. Because we have seen people who do so, succeed, though that success is temporary.

Guess its getting too long ...

Knowledge is undoubtedly invaluable. Absolutely no second though about that.

However, knowledge in your own head is nothing better than a library full of books!! Knowledge is useless if it is not used properly. Unfortunately, unless you score properly in exam, you are not given a single chance to prove your great knowledge. Why all those great Indian inventors are mostly NRIs? Why we have just one Kalam?

Talent is good but a talent in guided path is far better. I would not let my kid to grow on his own and show his natural talent, rather I will let him go through the path defined.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by dpkmjn2012
    I read somewhere this and find useful in this discussion -

Thousands of people miss the obvious in this shloka. The word "phal" means "fruit", which denotes consequences, NOT goals! Nowhere does Shri Krishna imply that you should be aimless; on the contrary, your aim is SUPPOSED to be your "dharma".. or "duty". You may have goals, plans, actions; you may become extremely skilled and/or resourceful; you may be dedicated to a career - all that is normal. Arjun was the BEST warrior in the world!

ALL SHRI KRISHNA IS SAYING IS, you do not have an automatic RIGHT to EXPECT a certain result!!! There are other forces at work in this universe. Don't worry about them! Do your duty!! Let the chips fall where they may!!!! Whether you get what you want or you don't, it's all Krishna's will.. you don't need to get emotionally wrapped up around it.

I don't know what exactly Krishna told, what exactly was captured in Gita or what really he meant. If he really meant consequences then I agree with him to certain extend as long as the consequences are not bad. If the consequences are bad in context then I would say, you must know about the consequences too and act accordingly. If you are working and your boss gave a horrible rating, you can definitely slap him right away. Absolutely nothing stops you from doing that ... but you must know the consequences and act only if the worst consequences are acceptable to you.... don't say ke Krishna ne bola tha!!

There are many things where we never think of any return such as you love your parents or your parents love you ... but there are many things which does not make too much sense unless there are some phals. For example, if you ask me to go to GGN to GZB, I will not go. If you pay me Rs 1000 then I may not go but someone else will happily go. If you give me Rs 50000, then probably I will also go no matter carfew laga hua hain ki nehin ... but probably Kumarbhai will not go!!

The point I am driving is, definition of phal is different to different people and it depends on context
    CommentQuote
  • I am happy to have this brainstorming and, crux of the matter is, do your best, know your path, have goals but not get too happy or too sad about it.

As I pointed out earlier, “Nowhere does Shri Krishna imply that you should be aimless” and “you do not have an automatic RIGHT to EXPECT a certain result”.

I hope to get more insights on original question from the Thread owner. ..
    CommentQuote
  • Guys,

Lets leave philosophy for other threads.. Let us discuss concrete info what this thread is started for..

Thanks!
    CommentQuote
  • Does anybody have any idea of setting up a sports bar/pub in Tier 2 city in India..

1.)Any specific approvals need to be taken and do they come easy.
    2.) Profitability of these pubs
    3.) Any surprises which one should be aware of.
    4.) Last but not the least could it be good business proposition.
    5.) Capital requirement
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by manu813
    Does anybody have any idea of setting up a sports bar/pub in Tier 2 city in India..

1.)Any specific approvals need to be taken and do they come easy.
    2.) Profitability of these pubs
    3.) Any surprises which one should be aware of.
    4.) Last but not the least could it be good business proposition.
    5.) Capital requirement

sports bar not a gud idea for tier 2 city in india.

Pub/daru ka adda chal sakta hai if u have some solid backing
    CommentQuote
  • you could be right.. There could not be much takers for sports bar in tier 2 cities..So any other business idea for tier 2 city..
    Originally Posted by Jai_Singh
    sports bar not a gud idea for tier 2 city in india.

Pub/daru ka adda chal sakta hai if u have some solid backing
    CommentQuote
  • Brother, almost any investment in India with a balanced portfolio will yield you 11% returns or more, with yearly withdraws possible in certain cases, and a higher lock in period in other cases:

1. Gold and silver with FD
    2. Investment with certain builders on security of their existing inventory (agreement in your name)- a couple of friends of mine have got between 18-24% and are very happy rotating part of their surplus funds in this manner.
    3. Buy land in the new residential zones in Delhi- at prevalent prices which are cheaper than far off Delhi suburbs (i have interest in this as I have already bought land in zone P2, and have been joined by 26 other friends and relatives and we are looking for filling up the remaining vacant slots for commencement of construction).
    4. The Indian stock market- selected scrips with selected timings.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks for your POV. I have asked the similar question in gurgaon thread as well against your post. So what is the ongoing price of plots in delhi new sectors . Would you mind sharing how much does it costs/per acre and what is the way to get into some apartment or plots in new delhi sectors..

Originally Posted by DelhiMP2021
    Brother, almost any investment in India with a balanced portfolio will yield you 11% returns or more, with yearly withdraws possible in certain cases, and a higher lock in period in other cases:

1. Gold and silver with FD
    2. Investment with certain builders on security of their existing inventory (agreement in your name)- a couple of friends of mine have got between 18-24% and are very happy rotating part of their surplus funds in this manner.
    3. Buy land in the new residential zones in Delhi- at prevalent prices which are cheaper than far off Delhi suburbs (i have interest in this as I have already bought land in zone P2, and have been joined by 26 other friends and relatives and we are looking for filling up the remaining vacant slots for commencement of construction).
    4. The Indian stock market- selected scrips with selected timings.
    CommentQuote
  • What businesses do you guys think could be done where one is not involved full time. I am looking for some business alternatives where I can start investing my time right now.. and after couple of years can retire with the earnings of the business.

Any suggestions ?
    CommentQuote
  • Dear Manu, I have already replied to your post in another thread. To add, South Delhi is about 8-10 cr per acre, and the rest of the places are 2-3 cr per acre. The one where I have invested comes to about Rs 450 per sq ft in FSI terms, which means we would get to complete our apartment in Delhi itself even after factoring in escalation in prices under 2k per sq ft, and that too with premium specifications. This rate will go down further if we are able to do a 7-10 acre society rather than the 2 acre which we have at present. And yes, there would be no other hidden costs like club membership, cost of car park, etc, which easily jacks up basic prices of builders by 20% or so. And once these apartments are ready in 4 years or so, I am of the view they would be at least close to what DDA sells their shoddy apartments today for. Today I cannot afford to buy apartments in Delhi anywhere, and I am hoping once this is complete we can reflect back and pat our backs on this decision taken to acquire property in Delhi which will never be this affordable once the big ticket financiers start getting in.
    CommentQuote