Today I went to a Sabzi Mandi called Kheri Mandi situated in a small corner of Faridabad. A guy came and said de bhai. He took 30 rs. from the vegetable seller and moved on to the next one and I noticed that he took the same amount from each of the vendors. I asked the vendor "Ye kis baat ke bhaiyya.". He said "Dihadi hai". I asked "Matlab". He said "Yahan baithne ke". I said "Ye zameen to kisi ki nahi hai. Sarkari hai.". He said "Jiski chalti hai, use dete hain roz".

I paid money for what I bought and moved on but I kept on thinking as if this is the same country where we talk about MNCs, GDPs, Exports, Big Apartments, cars and at the same time people have to pay to gundas of the area for their livelihood??

I am now 31 years old and in these 31 years I have seen roads getting widened, flyovers being built, airports modernized, increase in english speaking crowd but there is one thing which has not changed at all and that is called corruption which is rampant from the grasssroot level to the top. Wonder if this will ever change.
Read more
14 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Corruption is very deep rooted malice in INDIA.In my life time there is no sign of India becoming corruption free.
    CommentQuote
  • Miketest,
    Corruption is indeed very deep rooted in India.Concerted efforts and total change in attitude is needed to make the transition from very corrupt to even corrupt status,but those who work against corruption get targeted by beneficiaries of corruption.
    The nexus is too deep.
    AAP started off on a anti corruption plank but really due to various reasons could not find much support.The point is the nation happy being corrupt or all it speed money.
    This saves many from really being honest in filling forms,submitting correct documents etc.
    I do not see much hope for us to be corruption free,but I pray that corruption level decreases.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by miketest
    Today I went to a Sabzi Mandi called Kheri Mandi situated in a small corner of Faridabad. A guy came and said de bhai. He took 30 rs. from the vegetable seller and moved on to the next one and I noticed that he took the same amount from each of the vendors. I asked the vendor "Ye kis baat ke bhaiyya.". He said "Dihadi hai". I asked "Matlab". He said "Yahan baithne ke". I said "Ye zameen to kisi ki nahi hai. Sarkari hai.". He said "Jiski chalti hai, use dete hain roz".

I paid money for what I bought and moved on but I kept on thinking as if this is the same country where we talk about MNCs, GDPs, Exports, Big Apartments, cars and at the same time people have to pay to gundas of the area for their livelihood??

I am now 31 years old and in these 31 years I have seen roads getting widened, flyovers being built, airports modernized, increase in english speaking crowd but there is one thing which has not changed at all and that is called corruption which is rampant from the grasssroot level to the top. Wonder if this will ever change.

Since this is an internet forum where very few people know my real name and identity, so I'd share my own personal experience here. Very few people who personally know me today are aware of this.

I started my career some 25 years ago selling cold drinks after I had appeared in the board exams for 10th grade in March, 1989. I used to stand in Nehru place and then Connaught place and then Asaf Ali road where building of Delhi Stock Exchange was located at that time. I used to stand with a bucket of Campa Cola with ice in bucket to cool the bottles between 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. That was the era when Coke and Pepsi didn't exist in India.

I still remember that on my first day of work I made a net profit of Rs 4. On the first day itself I was confronted by a cop (a burly Jat thug). He had no shame in demanding a cut out of my meager earnings of the day. Over the next around 3.5 months, I was making around Rs 25-40 per day and paying Rs 5 everyday to Delhi Police and another Rs 20-25 weekly to NDMC or MCD. I desperately needed to save the money to continue my education beyond 10th grade and these sarkari goons had no shame in taking away around 25% of my hard-earned money. It was hard-earned money because I used to stand for 12 hours straight in the sun in peak summer months.

I somehow managed to save enough money to continue my studies in 11th grade and today I own and run a small but very successful IT company. But that is another story.

The point is that rule of law for aam admi doesn't exist in our country. Law enforcement (police) in states is the biggest gang of criminals that exists anywhere. Justice system (courts) doesn't work because judges on all levels are simply not interested in deciding the cases that are in their courts. They just give next date even on flimsy grounds. So crime of all kinds, be it rape, murder to corruption starting from mega scams to petty corruption where people sell their imaan for as little as 5 rupees, is a low risk high return business. People commit crime assuming that nothing will happen to them because rule of law doesn't apply to criminals of our country. Commit a murder, stay in the jail for a few weeks or months, then pay Rs 50,000 to Rs 3 Lakh in bail and you are out on the bail. Court case will continue for next 30-40 years while criminal is out of jail making a mockery of law. Law is just for law-abiding citizens and honest taxpayers and that is us.

Now coming to that vegetable seller who was paying Rs 30 "dhiadi." I can bet that out of the Rs 30 being collected by the goon, a major part or most of it must be going to the local police and the employees of municipal corporation of that area. This business of extortion is now a days outsourced by police and municipal corporation employees to the local goons because they are no longer interested in getting their hands dirty.

Unfortunate thing is that I don't see the petty corruption ending in our country. I may not happen in our lifetimes. There are simply too many people out there selling their imaan. Maybe there is something about characterless Indians?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ThePunjabi
    Since this is an internet forum where very few people know my real name and identity, so I'd share my own personal experience here. Very few people who personally know me today are aware of this.

I started my career some 25 years ago selling cold drinks after I had appeared in the board exams for 10th grade in March, 1989. I used to stand in Nehru place and then Connaught place and then Asaf Ali road where building of Delhi Stock Exchange was located at that time. I used to stand with a bucket of Campa Cola with ice in bucket to cool the bottles between 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. That was the era when Coke and Pepsi didn't exist in India.

I still remember that on my first day of work I made a net profit of Rs 4. On the first day itself I was confronted by a cop (a burly Jat thug). He had no shame in demanding a cut out of my meager earnings of the day. Over the next around 3.5 months, I was making around Rs 25-40 per day and paying Rs 5 everyday to Delhi Police and another Rs 20-25 weekly to NDMC or MCD. I desperately needed to save the money to continue my education beyond 10th grade and these sarkari goons had no shame in taking away around 25% of my hard-earned money. It was hard-earned money because I used to stand for 12 hours straight in the sun in peak summer months.

I somehow managed to save enough money to continue my studies in 11th grade and today I own and run a small but very successful IT company. But that is another story.

The point is that rule of law for aam admi doesn't exist in our country. Law enforcement (police) in states is the biggest gang of criminals that exists anywhere. Justice system (courts) doesn't work because judges on all levels are simply not interested in deciding the cases that are in their courts. They just give next date even on flimsy grounds. So crime of all kinds, be it rape, murder to corruption starting from mega scams to petty corruption where people sell their imaan for as little as 5 rupees, is a low risk high return business. People commit crime assuming that nothing will happen to them because rule of law doesn't apply to criminals of our country. Commit a murder, stay in the jail for a few weeks or months, then pay Rs 50,000 to Rs 3 Lakh in bail and you are out on the bail. Court case will continue for next 30-40 years while criminal is out of jail making a mockery of law. Law is just for law-abiding citizens and honest taxpayers and that is us.

Now coming to that vegetable seller who was paying Rs 30 "dhiadi." I can bet that out of the Rs 30 being collected by the goon, a major part or most of it must be going to the local police and the employees of municipal corporation of that area. This business of extortion is now a days outsourced by police and municipal corporation employees to the local goons because they are no longer interested in getting their hands dirty.

Unfortunate thing is that I don't see the petty corruption ending in our country. I may not happen in our lifetimes. There are simply too many people out there selling their imaan. Maybe there is something about characterless Indians?

great to read about your experience and struggle with life. so you also have first hand experience of the rangdaari. I am a kind of person who gets affected by all this easily ans spend days thinking about such experiences. things may change . someday. may be.
    CommentQuote
  • Miketest,
    The experience by our learned member first hand is not unique.
    We go to holy places and do religious activities but do not change our character and do such petty things.
    I was standing in front of Pune Rly Stn 1 year ago appx and saw a policeman go to a chaatwaala type of person and shamelessly take Rs100 from him and go off.No shame no dignity of uniform.
    The chaatwaala had a simple answer to why he suffers this petty harassment-if refuse he will not allow my "telagaadi" to park here and quote traffic rules and hygiene rules.
    Price for overlooking these rules is Rs100 every day or alternative day.
    If India is to change,these petty harassments should end.
    Our day to day life will improve.
    How one can contribute is by refusing to be a party in your ow field to wrong things.
    No bribe to police for tenancy verification or passport verification.
    No touts to be hired for RTO work/passport work.
    No cash component in RE transactions.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    Miketest,
    The experience by our learned member first hand is not unique.
    We go to holy places and do religious activities but do not change our character and do such petty things.
    I was standing in front of Pune Rly Stn 1 year ago appx and saw a policeman go to a chaatwaala type of person and shamelessly take Rs100 from him and go off.No shame no dignity of uniform.
    The chaatwaala had a simple answer to why he suffers this petty harassment-if refuse he will not allow my "telagaadi" to park here and quote traffic rules and hygiene rules.
    Price for overlooking these rules is Rs100 every day or alternative day.
    If India is to change,these petty harassments should end.
    Our day to day life will improve.
    How one can contribute is by refusing to be a party in your ow field to wrong things.
    No bribe to police for tenancy verification or passport verification.
    No touts to be hired for RTO work/passport work.
    No cash component in RE transactions.

Totally agreed brother. And you know what brother. I was a different man 3-4 years ago than now. I met some beautiful people here. Naming one or two will be insult to the others.

Once bribes stop, rule breaking will also stop. Street vendors may get canopies on monthly rents. This will make government rich also and street vendors won't have to deal with harassment. I went to Malaysia 8 years ago and I remember I saw moving floors first time in my life there and many other stuff which we see here now in malls in Delhi. I remembered that Taxi driver had to pay toll tax every few kms. I thought it was a great burden on the pocket of driver and ultimately passenger but at the same time roads were clean. There was a six lane highway from Kualalumpur to Genting (Hill Station). Are we capable of making 6 lane highways on our hill stations? There were 40 storeyed hotels in hill stations.

I wonder why we cannot do all this? Where are we lacking? Have we accepted the fact that we will bribe others throughout our lives? Have we accepted that our roads will always have potholes?
    CommentQuote
  • "I remembered that Taxi driver had to pay toll tax every few kms."
    I use express way to Mumbai often.
    Toll tax is charged but thefts have now increased.
    Promised greenery has not been planted,but toll rates increase from time to time.
    Bribe culture is a character breaker in India.
    People in vital departments take bribes and with excess cash spoil the children-they have no time for children and so spoil them silly by indulging in satisfying children by giving expensive gifts.
    Thereby children also get used to easy money and carry on family tradition,besides becoming poorest type of citizens.
    Somewhere a line has to be drawn and we need to start in small was by refusing to b bribe givers or takers.
    CommentQuote
  • Last month I jumped a traffic signal near Pitampura in the morning and my car was stopped by traffic police cops just after crossing the red light.

So I asked the traffic police guy "Kitne ka challan hoga?"

His answer was "50 rupay do aur jao."

Basically he was asking for Rs 50 bribe to let me go. I told him that I'll not pay him 50 rupees but would instead prefer to pay whatever the the challan amount is for jumping the red light and would like to take the proper receipt for payment. Now that dude was angry. He checked my car insurance policy, RC, Pollution under control certificate. Since my papers were OK, he had no alternative but to let me go after taking Rs 100 and issuing receipt for the same.

I could have gotten away after paying Rs 50 and saved 50 rupees in the process along with 10 minutes. While I was doing that there were people who were paying money without taking receipt and leaving the spot right in front of me. Maybe they were smart or maybe they were what I like to call "characterless Indians".
    CommentQuote
    Last month I jumped a traffic signal near Pitampura in the morning and my car was stopped by traffic police cops just after crossing the red light.

Basically he was asking for Rs 50 bribe to let me go. I told him that I'll not pay him 50 rupees but would instead prefer to pay whatever the the challan amount is for jumping the red light and would like to take the proper receipt for payment. Now that dude was angry. He checked my car insurance policy, RC, Pollution under control certificate. Since my papers were OK, he had no alternative but to let me go after taking Rs 100 and issuing receipt for the same.

I could have gotten away after paying Rs 50 and saved 50 rupees in the process along with 10 minutes. While I was doing that there were people who were paying money without taking receipt and leaving the spot right in front of me. Maybe they were smart or maybe they were what I like to call "characterless Indians".

Thepunjabi, hats off to you. But I will tell you this is being followed by so many of us. But let's not be too happy about it. If we had taken to a conclusion like complaining in the nearest police station that "he deliberately wasted my 10 minutes because I refused to pay bribe" - easier said than done, because that would be like spending our few hours in trying to finish this rangdaari from the root.
    CommentQuote
    Last month I jumped a traffic signal near Pitampura in the morning and my car was stopped by traffic police cops just after crossing the red light.

My Dear The Punjabi,
    I read your story and the struggle three times,as I have also gone through the similar ordeal in my life.The corruption can end only when people join people like you to say no to bribes and pay fines and taxes honestly without paying the bribes:bab (6):
    CommentQuote

Respect for you sir , people like you make india proud and not the others. Thanks for sharing this wonderfull post.
    CommentQuote
  • these petty rangdaris were greatly controlled in Delhi by AAP in 49 days rule. But we Do not deserve such rule. In this same forum hundreds of cartoons for the hero AK who took courage to go against system.

Now it is more than one month of majority Govt in India. If anybody has seen any sign for removal of petty corruption, please enlighten the forum members.

Ab Na Sahenge Bhrastachar
    Abki baar..........................:bab (59):

Only & Only AAP & AK can make India corruption free specially for Poor people & middle class Indians.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by mohanpruthi
    these petty rangdaris were greatly controlled in Delhi by AAP in 49 days rule. But we Do not deserve such rule. In this same forum hundreds of cartoons for the hero AK who took courage to go against system.

Now it is more than one month of majority Govt in India. If anybody has seen any sign for removal of petty corruption, please enlighten the forum members.

Ab Na Sahenge Bhrastachar
    Abki baar..........................:bab (59):

Only & Only AAP & AK can make India corruption free specially for Poor people & middle class Indians.

you guys will never cease to stop your politicking. Do you remember your this same AK, the day he decided to fight against Modi changed from a corruption crusader to a secularism crusader, That was the day many like me realized that he is just another power hungry lunatic and don't forget his equally stupid tato like internet supporters created the wave against him.
    CommentQuote
  • mohanpruthi,
    You need not convince anyone about AAP.
    The blunder they did was to resign and contest too many seats.
    This error has cost them,but with the way our maharajahs are behaving,people will bring AAP back to strong position.
    CommentQuote