The size of Indian real estate market is expected to more than triple over the next three years to Rs 200,000 crore.

The emergence of IT and ITES, pharma, nanotechnology and retail sectors have made a big impact on real estate industry. The size of the of realty market is currently estimated at Rs 60,000 crore and it is projected to touch Rs 200,000 crore by 2010.

The current boom period has prompted many realty companies to list on the bourses. In the last few months, initial public issues of Sobha Developers Ltd, Akruti Nirman Ltd, DLF and Parsvanath Developers were oversubscribed and these companies raised roughly Rs 20,000 crore from the capital market.

There had been a slowdown in the real estate market, the current stagnation would only be for a short duration because incomes across all classes are rising. It is estimated that over 1.20 trillion-square-foot of constructed space would be required by urban and semi-urban India alone over the next 10 years. Investment in real estate also has been yielding rich returns for investors.

Source: Live Mint
Date: 08 Aug'07
Read more
2 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Market Size...

Hey, these numbers need to be rechecked...

In my knowledge DLF alone worths 1,40,000 crore and said to be commanding about 50% of the market share. This way the industry is already 2,80,000 crore and many prestigious research also quote the same figure.

In fact, the market size will reach from current $70 billion to $120 billion, by 2010 i.e. from Rs 2,80,000 crore to Rs 4,80,000 crore, whereas livemint is talking about the targets of Rs 2,00,000 crore by 2010

Any updates/ reactions ???
    CommentQuote
  • The right insight!!!

Vikram has diverted our attention towards right facts regarding the expected market size of Indian real estate. I also rechecked but everywhere found the same figure i.e Rs 200,000 crore.

We really require some more insight on the issue to learn about the exact growth prospects of our property sector.
    CommentQuote