Folks

Imagine!

1. One of the largest sectors in India.

2. Affects crores of people as it forms the largest single investment that most of us will make in our lifetime

And to think that there is no transparent and quick way for me to

a. Find out the market price for my RE property
b. Quickly buy or sell RE property at the market quoted rate
c. Ensure that my money comes in within a reasonable time and without extortionist charges of the brokers, middlemen and touts
d. Protect the investor from collapse of the builder, broker and others

Do you think that its now high time we did something to end this highly unregulated market where everything depends on what a broker quotes, where reliable information is practically non-existent and where most of what we know about a property is hearsay and rumor?

What would be my confidence level if I could anyday go to an online exchange and find out the realistic value of my property?

Imagine what it would be like if we had a well-traded, liquid RE Exchange which included all relevant participants like Banks (for loans, etc), Appraisers (to vouch for authenticity of information), Regulator and participants. What would it be like if I could buy / sell property and have the transfers done to/from my name and get the money in/out within, say even 1 week.

Your comments!!! :D

cheers
Read more
13 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • as long as black money rules

hello guys,

A well-regulated real estate market will make a huge difference to the
    way we transact business.However, it must be borne in mind that
    a sizeable portion of real estate deals are in black.The rich and powerful in
    our country will not allow business to be transparent as it will become all the
    more difficult to hide their wealth.

It may be possible to ensure that persons purchasing real estate
    provide their PAN numbers so that such transactions can be accounted for.That will put an end to benami deals.
    Lets hope if there is an RE crash such regulations will be brought into force.
    cheers,
    unlikely:D
    CommentQuote
  • Well regulated real estate market will drive out the speculators and investors . It is very good for the end users. Hence much apperication or gains cant be expected. The RE investment will be more or less equivalent to Banks savings depoistn with a decent returns. My simple thoughts!.
    CommentQuote
  • You have misunderstood the word regulation ...

Originally Posted by paul1970
    Well regulated real estate market will drive out the speculators and investors . It is very good for the end users. Hence much apperication or gains cant be expected. The RE investment will be more or less equivalent to Banks savings depoistn with a decent returns. My simple thoughts!.

If you remember, the Stock Market in the 80s and 90s had a system called the Badla System which was used to speculate (actually carry forward trades across settlements. It was not a good system, but, in the absence of any other option it worked. Then came our current Futures and Options system. And remember, the old Stock Markets had rampant black money in operation. Though there still is quite a bit in the system today, much of the system works on white.

So, nothing in this world is irreversible or unchangeable.

A well-regulated system can co-exist with a good speculative environment. In fact to have healthy speculation (an oxymoron since speculation itself is considered unhealthy :D), good regulation is required so that people can confidentally transact trades.

So, back to my question. Why not a properly regulated system in RE. After all, there are millions of people, especially youngsters who are least interested in Black Money operations - In my opinion, its only the oldies who operated in the 70s to 90s who are continuing the "tradition" of black money. In fact, though I want to buy a house completely in white, who is able to oblige me? Where can I do such a deal in India today? I believe that, if the various hassles in owning a home is removed by proper regulation which protects the rights of the buyer, then it would be a small price to pay to do all the transactions in white and millions would be happy to do so.

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • the ' how' of it

hi folks,

There is no doubt that all law-abiding citizens would welcome
    regulation in the real estate sector.the question is not whether
    it should be done but how it can be done.
    it is not an easy task to determine the market value of a given
    property as is seen by the difficulty experienced by the govt
    while acquiring land for public purposes.
    In addition to transactions largely taking place in black,an additional
    problem is the misuse of Power of Attorney,which does not
    even come under the radar of govt records.In recent times,
    obtaining Power of Attorney has become the preferred instrument of
    speculators in real estate.
    Inspite of the above restrictions,regulation in RE is the only forward
    if we are to improve the present state of affairs.
    Would welcome inputs on this topic.
    cheers
    unlikely
    CommentQuote
  • Wiseman I am willing to sell you land in prime localities in Chennai, 100% White. However if I go with you to the Registrar office he wont let you register it at that price. For example a land of mine in Saligramam might fetch me atleast Rs 6000psft, but the registrar will atbest allow me to take Rs 2000psft in white. The remaing Rs 4K is not black for you but for me the seller. Infact that is one main reason I am not able to get off my properties. After all if I could I will rather go and buy a house in USA!
    CommentQuote
  • Kerala Govt move

hello friends,

There is a proposal from the Kerala Govt to make it mandatory
    for the sale agreement to be made a redistered document.
    What this means is that the Govt records will start reflecting
    the actual sale price of the land.what do u guys think about this move ?
    regards
    unlikely
    CommentQuote
  • Builders in Kerala

In my experience none of the reputed builders in Kerala take black money for their upcoming projets. Most of them quote the prices and all the details in their website including the landing cost. Chennai RE market is in the control of black marketers and brokers.
    CommentQuote
  • that would be a brilliant move... we should have petition filed to have this done all over India.. it is in the common mans and governments interest.

Speculated market just ruin the economy....
    CommentQuote
  • That argument is disingenuous at best ...

Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    Wiseman I am willing to sell you land in prime localities in Chennai, 100% White. However if I go with you to the Registrar office he wont let you register it at that price. For example a land of mine in Saligramam might fetch me atleast Rs 6000psft, but the registrar will atbest allow me to take Rs 2000psft in white. The remaing Rs 4K is not black for you but for me the seller. Infact that is one main reason I am not able to get off my properties. After all if I could I will rather go and buy a house in USA!

Natraj,

This is a a disingenuous argument at best. Exactly who is the Registrar to deny you registration for whatever price you are looking to exchange property at? He does not have a legal standing to do that. Make life miserable for him/her and they will see the light of day.

Quite an easy excuse to bring in black money into the transaction. You need to take a stand and take the Registrar thru the wringer and there are many tools in the statutes to bring them to heel. This needs to be done by enough people so they come in line. And that is exactly where the problem lies.

Let us not create lame excuses to further our own needs to continue propogating this black money. It starts with us and our need to evade taxes - this thing called greed - that propogates black money. If the penalty was more severe that the benefit, will we continue it?

cheers
    CommentQuote
  • Until and unless our Corrupt Politicians are there the regulation in this industry are really difficult. This people has a very big chunk of RE in their booty. They will never allow to introduce some regulation.
    :o
    CommentQuote
  • an essential first step

hello friends,

DEar ARin, i think you are absolutely right.However,don't you think
    that if sale agreements have to be registered it will discourage ordinary
    folks from showing a lower amount in the documents for fear of getting
    cheated.This will in turn drive out the speculators who created
    such havoc in the market in recent times...:D .Hope other Govts
    follow suit.
    regards
    unlikely
    CommentQuote
  • GOVT Rate !!!

Showing a lower amount is very dangerous method. I know our people does this to avoid huge amount of Stamp Duty. In India your land is never your land. GOVT can take any time from you paying the actual GOVT rate. It is like taking land as a lease from GOVT. And Ideally I feel that the price in normal market also should be the same. There is many incident where GOVT take the land from the people paying GOVT rate.
    Our agent/Broker inflated the market too much. Recently DEVE GOWDA didnt want to give his land for NICE project as that was a future prime location for development. Project was stopped for 3 yrs as he was rulling the KA. But when BJP came to power they gave green signal to NICE authority to Build the road and capturing GOWDA's land. Ha ha .
    CommentQuote
  • try

tyuhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
    CommentQuote