I use to heard 2BHK flat at 20L OR 50L. I really dont understand how people measure the FLAT by calculating no of room. If some one say 2 BHK @ 16L they feel its very cheap.
But I believe that we should not consider the room instead we should look for the carpet area. How much SQFT you are exactly getting. A 2BHK flat can be made using 600SQFT and also using 1200SQFT carpet area.
Even in the case of rental too this above logic applies. I have seen broker saying that 2 BHK house. But eventually when you see the house the room size is not even 10*10SQFT.
EX: Now many builders are selling at low price but the fact is that they have reduce the Carpet area... So we cant say that they are selling cheap/discount.
Dont just think on this rethink...
Read more
32 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • thats true... builders are showing smartness... they are reducing area....
    but lets see how long they will last... they have 2 reduce the prices...
    flats are not selling ....
    CommentQuote
  • Very valid point raised, arin_12.

I am not aware of any rule which mandates or governs the percentage of super-builtup area that is offered as carpet area.

There is no consistency among the builders even in their own projects on the carpet area they offer.It could be anywhere between 70%-80% of the super-builtup area.

Apartment/Flats are sold only on rate quoted on the super-builtup area.No builder mentions the carpet area in the agreement, hence giving no room for any dispute later if the carpet area is very less.

Carpet area = Area within the four corners of the outer walls in the apartment.
    Plinth area = Carpet area + thickness of the wall.
    Builtup area = Plinth area + terrace/balcony/utility area.
    Super Builtup area = Builtup area + common area.

where common area is the entire area covering the common facilities situated within the building excluding the car parking area, it does not include the areas outside the building where certain common facilities are provided.walking Pathways,gardens,club area etc should not be included in the common area.

There has been numerous articles, stating how builders are using the super-builtup area to book huge profit margins and cover their costs in providing additional facilities like swimming pool, gym, club etc.Some builders even fool the buyers by including non-FSI covered regions like common staircase area, lift well area, some portions of the balcony etc.

The Realtors, Architects and Engineers in this forum should throw more light and clarify/confirm about the industry practice in this regard.

If RE is to be regulated, the first thing to be done is to enforce that flats/apartments should be sold only by quoting price on carpet area.Many problems like deviation and FSI non-conformance can be avoided and kept on check.Just my thoughts.
    CommentQuote
  • The Realtors, Architects and Engineers in this forum should throw more light and clarify/confirm about the industry practice in this regard.

You are Chor to how to protect your house ? They are only the people who is the culprit for making people fool. Ask your builder. I think even in National TV Channel (which nobody see) they are showing some AD/Aware on the same thing.
    CommentQuote
  • Insider's Info - Priceless

Originally Posted by arin_12
    The Realtors, Architects and Engineers in this forum should throw more light and clarify/confirm about the industry practice in this regard.

You are Chor to how to protect your house ? They are only the people who is the culprit for making people fool. Ask your builder. I think even in National TV Channel (which nobody see) they are showing some AD/Aware on the same thing.

About asking the chor, how to protect the house.I would ask back,why not?The best way to know which door to lock and which passage to block is to ask the chor whats their modus operandi.

Haven't you heard of partner in crime turning into approver when they are close to getting nabbed?

When people know they are guilty and realize they will be busted sooner or later, they end up confessing more than they ought to in the hope of saving themselves.

For your Information, Today The Hindu carried an adversitement on the front page from a builder claiming that they are shedding light on the truth and are comparing in black and white how other projects in OMR are charging around 5800 Rs/sqft for plinth area using hidden costs like common areas etc, while they are only charging 2375 Rs/sqft for the plinth area.

On the brink of a crisis, the focus shifts to saving yourself and all that you have left.Its not anymore about who is a chor, who is cheating whom.Questioning the intent of anyone will not lead us anywhere.everyone has a reason to justify themselves.

Builders too will try to prove that they are more genuine and transparent than all others.We can expect to see more builders throwing brickbats at each other in desperation to protect themselves and lot going out of business if they dont gain customer confidence soon.They will soon realize Customer's Interest is important and its a buyer's market.

In the process, If we are able to get more information, insights and better bargains.I believe the purpose is well served.
    CommentQuote
  • Unity !!!

Lets assume they are feeling the pinch. But do you know one thing they are like a snake. If they get a chance they will hit you back.
    In Bangalore or any other City we Have more private car but still the road are ruled by auto/cabbies/buses.... Why ? End of the day we are the people who runs the Public transport business. We dont have the unity what they have. The same way the Builders are more unite than the Common Buyer.
    I hope you have felt the attitude of the people when they was in good shape...
    CommentQuote
  • Awareness - Key to unite Customers.

arin_12, I agree with you.

I too have had many bad experiences with these greedy builders.

One builder had even refused to indulge in talks with us, once we told them that we werent interested in 85% loan through their banker and would like to pay most of the amount in cash.They used to look down upon the customers as if they are doing huge favor to us by constructing and selling the homes, in reality they were selling home loans.

They wouldn't share any information, answer any questions, show the approvals,would make us wait for hours at their office and what not.Always showed the haughty attitude of "Take it or Leave it".No wonder they have lost their credibility and good will.

Things are changing now.Those boom days are over, the cartel is now fast falling apart and each one are on their own.

There was another advertisement today about a new project in annanagar extension, Chennai for 3000 Rs/Sqft, stating directly that they are taking on similar projects in OMR being sold at higher rates.

We Customers should not buy till its worthy.But are the customers united?i dont think they are.Builders are exploiting the fact that we are not informed, only awareness would change it.

We do have various welfare societies recognised by state government along with TNHB who promote housing development and plots,their price are even more shocking.

I wouldnt shed a tear for theses greedy builders/companies if they run out of business and go bankrupt.Serves them all right.Is high time they all realize that the buyers/customers drive the market.

Having said that, We need the few genuine builders left to step up and survive these bad times, so that we can buy our dream home through them.
    CommentQuote
  • Divide and Rule

Originally Posted by nabishek
    arin_12, I agree with you.

We Customers should not buy till its worthy.But are the customers united?i dont think they are.Builders are exploiting the fact that we are not informed, only awareness would change it.

We do have various welfare societies recognised by state government along with TNHB who promote housing development and plots,their price are even more shocking.

Politicians are following "Divide and Rule" Policy. See in TN no body wanna learn Hindi/Other language. Why ??? Becos Politician knows if we start learning then our eyes will be open. which is the threat for politicians. Their Media Business will go down.
    CommentQuote
  • Carpet area vs saleable area

Our experienced friends like wiseman and nataraj should give their valued guidance on the normal carpet area as a percentage of the saleable area. I have calculated in a number of cases and it varies from 65% to 80%. Median is around 70%. A higher carpet area is better even if the sq. ft. rate is a little higher. How many of us really get into the carpet area? We seem to simply go by what the builders say in terms of the saleable/chargeable area. wiseman and nataraj should advise us on the subject and to what extent these can be considered reasonable as there is wide variation from 65% to 80% in the ratio of carpet area to chargeable area.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • carpet area vs chargeable area

I have has an experience at Trichy 4 years back when I bought my flat here. The charged area was 1300 sq. ft. for a decent 3 bed flat and believe it, the carpet area was a good 1056 sq. ft. , an astonishing 81.2% in a large project with 4 floors and 3 blocks with a generous open car parking. I was really expecting that the builder would charge for anywhere between 1400 to 1500 sq. ft. and to my surprise, they charged only 1300 asq. ft. and infact , I did measure the carpet area and got satisfied. :p

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ks2071746
    I have had an experience at Trichy 4 years back when I bought my flat there. The charged area was 1300 sq. ft. for a large, well constructed, decent 3 bed flat. Believe me, the carpet area was a good 1056 sq. ft. , an astonishing 81.2% in a large project with 4 floors and 3 blocks with a generous free open car parking. I was really expecting that the builder would charge anywhere between 1400 to 1500 sq. ft. and to my surprise, they charged only 1300 sq. ft. Infact , I did measure the carpet area and got satisfied. Many builders at Chennai simply take the common arrea at about 18 to 20 % and the wall area as 10 to 12 % to calculate the chargeable area which will in effect give a carpet area of about 68 to 70 % only . I feel the minimum carpet area should be atleast 75% of the saleable area and this will really give a price advantage of about 10% to the buyer.

ks2071746

corrected message as I was not able to go to edit mode of my earlier message. Thanks.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • plinth area is a better parameter to compare flats .
    PLS CHECK MY POST IN YHE THREAD CARPET AREA VS SALEABLE AREA
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by arin_12
    Politicians are following "Divide and Rule" Policy. See in TN no body wanna learn Hindi/Other language. Why ??? Becos Politician knows if we start learning then our eyes will be open. which is the threat for politicians. Their Media Business will go down.

Hi arin,

Why do u want people from tamilnadu to learn Hindi??
    They have nothing to do with Hindi. Hindi has nothing to do with unity.

Just wanted to clarify eventhough it is irrelevant to the discussion here.
    CommentQuote
  • This is just example that I gave to understand the Situation how TN Politicians wanna Keep All Poor Tamil people under dark. As you know your politicians gives TV to all poor to watch. If we don't know Hindi/English you will obviously watch Tamil Channel. And most of the Tamil Channel is run by the politicians. So ultimately they are earning money. And the TV was bought with the money of State Fund which again comes from Common Tax payer pocket. Basically Politician are trying to keep them as Backward.
    Its not only in TN all other state also Politicians are taking advantage by using Divide And Policy Rule.

Hope this didnt hurt your sentiment.
    CommentQuote
  • You are absolutely correct mr. Arin

Chataara
    CommentQuote
  • You are confusing everything Arin.

Politicians having tamil channels has nothing to do with Anti Hindi sentiments. Hindi is not our mother tongue and there is no need for that language to be forced on us. It is that simple.

If anyone wants to learn hindi thay can do so on their own interests and no one will stop them. But u asking tamil population to learn Hindi for public unity,:D :D simply does not make sense.

Originally Posted by arin_12
    This is just example that I gave to understand the Situation how TN Politicians wanna Keep All Poor Tamil people under dark. As you know your politicians gives TV to all poor to watch. If we don't know Hindi/English you will obviously watch Tamil Channel. And most of the Tamil Channel is run by the politicians. So ultimately they are earning money. And the TV was bought with the money of State Fund which again comes from Common Tax payer pocket. Basically Politician are trying to keep them as Backward.
    Its not only in TN all other state also Politicians are taking advantage by using Divide And Policy Rule.

Hope this didnt hurt your sentiment.
    CommentQuote