Hi,

My father expired about 15 years ago and we never transferred our house to my mothers name. The property tax etc are already on her name. Now we are planning to sell the house and apparently we were told that the property has to be transferred. We are planning to transfer the property to my moms name. We are two brothers. I live in US and my brother lives in Delhi. We were told that both of us have to show up in the court. I don't want to travel to India just to show up in the court. Is there any way (like power of attorney, some other document) our house can be transferred to my moms name without me being present in the court.

Please let me know. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Ravi
Read more
3 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by ravi
    Hi,

My father expired about 15 years ago and we never transferred our house to my mothers name. The property tax etc are already on her name. Now we are planning to sell the house and apparently we were told that the property has to be transferred. We are planning to transfer the property to my moms name. We are two brothers. I live in US and my brother lives in Delhi. We were told that both of us have to show up in the court. I don't want to travel to India just to show up in the court. Is there any way (like power of attorney, some other document) our house can be transferred to my moms name without me being present in the court.

Please let me know. I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Ravi

I do not know why you have to go to the court to transfer property,I gather that your father has bequeathed the property thru a will,to your mother. And the will requires a probate.otherwise you can and all/any of the legal hiers of your father can give a power of attorney from the states to anyone and register the property directly to the seller here.i dont see the need to transfer the property to your mother.i am telling this based on tamilnadu rules.I am not sure if DELHI requires something else but i doubt it .
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks
    Ravi
    CommentQuote
  • My father expired 3 years ago and both parents had paid for an apartment but had not taken over. recently my mother also died and the apartment was not taken over. my sister abroad and has come down. can both of us take over property which was on our parents name and all money was paid but not taken over. can we plan to sell the house Are both of us required to show up in any court.she is here for short duration and then have to go back . Is there any way (like power of attorney, some other document) our house can be transferred to our name and dispose it .

Please let us know. I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    groovy
    CommentQuote