People normally look at the saleable area indicated by the builders and do not really work out and check up the carpet area from the floor plans. A builder selling a flat of 1500 sq. ft. with a carpet area of say 70%, i.e., 1050 sq. ft. as compared to another builder who sells 1400 sq. ft. with a carpet area of 75% also will come to 1050 sq. ft. We should rather compare on the rate arrived at on the carpet area/sq.ft of the buildings and select/decide. Afterall, the carpet area is the real floor area availble for the buyer to live in the flat. wiseman, nataraj and other active members may give further guidance to other members.

ks2071746
Read more
27 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • plinth area is a better parameter to compare builders but many more things do matter let me explain
    the carpet area depends also on the thickness of the walls and the number of walls shared with other flats i.e a flat open on three sides will own all 9" walls wheras a flat which shares walls with other flat will have less wall space (9/2 = 4.5") hence will have more percentage of carpet area. But we generally like a flat to be open on 3 sides.

the construction of wall with bricks will have 9" or 10.5" with plastering as bricks are uneven whereas a wall built with blocks will be 6-7" thick.again a increase in carpet area for the same plinth area.
    But blocks are not preferred by all, they have their own set of problems.
    contd
    CommentQuote
  • 1000 sq ft 2 BHK would have more carpet area than 1000 sq ft 3BHK

Originally Posted by abk
    plinth area is a better parameter to compare builders but many more things do matter let me explain
    the carpet area depends also on the thickness of the walls and the number of walls shared with other flats i.e a flat open on three sides will own all 9" walls wheras a flat which shares walls with other flat will have less wall space (9/2 = 4.5") hence will have more percentage of carpet area. But we generally like a flat to be open on 3 sides.

the construction of wall with bricks will have 9" or 10.5" with plastering as bricks are uneven whereas a wall built with blocks will be 6-7" thick.again a increase in carpet area for the same plinth area.
    But blocks are not preferred by all, they have their own set of problems.
    contd

The size of the flat is a big factor in determining the % of carpet area
    A 1000 sq ft 2 BHK will have more carpet area than a 1000 sq ft 3 BHK as you will have more partition walls.

many bullders have 9" partition walls and many have 4.5" walls makes quite a diff in carpet area.
    therefore plinth area is a better comparision
    CommentQuote
  • carpet area vs super built up area

Originally Posted by abk
    A 1000 sq ft 2 BHK will have more carpet area than a 1000 sq ft 3 BHK as you will have more partition walls.

many bullders have 9" partition walls and many have 4.5" walls makes quite a diff in carpet area.
    therefore plinth area is a better comparision[/quote

Dear abk,

I feel one should really look at the real floor space i.e., the carpet area which is the usable area for the living rather than the plinth area which includes the wall thickness also. Does it matter anything more if the partition wall is 9" instead of 4.5" as long as the foundation is pucka made as per the civil construction practices/norms. Today, I saw an advt. in a web site of a Builder at Perumbur, whose flats give only about 60 to 62 % of carpet area of the superbuilt up/chargeable area which is too low and the buyer will be paying more if he chooses to buy a flat from this builder. Any prospective buyer should not either feel shy or be ignorant to check on this aspect of carpet area as a % of the saleable area and work out the rate/sq. ft. of carpet area when he compares different projects to select the most economical one. More views are welcome.

ks2071746The size of the flat is a big factor in determining the % of carpet area

therefore plinth area is a better comparision[/quote

Dear abk,

I feel one should really look at the real floor space i.e., the carpet area which is the usable area for the living rather than the plinth area which includes the wall thickness also. Does it matter anything more if the partition wall is 9" instead of 4.5" as long as the foundation is pucka made as per the civil construction practices/norms. Today, I saw an advt. in a web site of a Builder at Perumbur, whose flats give only about 60 to 62 % of carpet area of the superbuilt up/chargeable area which is too low and the buyer will be paying more if he chooses to buy a flat from this builder. Any prospective buyer should not either feel shy or be ignorant to check on this aspect of carpet area as a % of the saleable area and work out the rate/sq. ft. of carpet area when he compares different projects to select the most economical one. More views are welcome.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Calculating Carpet Area.

Points to note while calculating carpet area from floor plans

Some plans indicate the room size in terms of built up area/plinth area.That is it includes the thickness of the walls.The carpet area would be around 10% less than the area that is calculated.Better to clarify with the builder.

If the room dimension is 14'10'' * 10'3.5''

I have seen many people make the mistake of factoring the inches as decimals.i.e. 14.10 * 10.4 = ~147 sq.ft which is very misleading.

the area should be calculated as

(14 + 10/12) * (10 + 3.5/12)
    = ~ 14.83 * 10.30
    = ~ 152.75 sq.ft.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ks2071746
    Originally Posted by abk

therefore plinth area is a better comparision

Dear abk,

ks2071746

i am making a point that if a person was buying a 1000 sq ft 2BHK flat then he should compare carpet area of a 1000 sq ft 2 BHK flat of another builder and should compare the walls.what i am trying to say is not whether 9" or 4.5" walls are better but you should normalise the parameters concerened- the common areas too, a good lobby is important which would addd up to the common area where as a small builder would give only a passage wide enough to pass one person-some prefer their bedrooms to be recessed from the living which would entail a passage, again addition of area.
    the builder is handing over to you the plinth area, say if you decide to take off all the walls what is the area you get is the question which answers your rationale for paying that much.the interior planning is your option.the value for maoney is indicated by the plinth area.which is also the area taken up for valuation and cost of construction estimates for your flat.offcourse the common areas do add to the value.as they are shared and the individual should decide what he needs and what is not needed.'A' does not need a swimming pool or a gym 'B' does.carpet area is subject to variation in design and plan.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by GoccaMacca
    Always look at the plinth area.

I still feel, it is better to consider the actual carpet area in conjunction with the layout of each room/hall/kitchen etc. from the actual utility point of view.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • good information there.. :o

i would go with the carpet area rather than plinth area.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by arti
    good information there.. :o

i would go with the carpet area rather than plinth area.

look at my posts again.the plinth area is the actual area you own exclusively
    which is your moneys worth. the carpet area is subject to design as i said a 1000 sq ft 2 bhk will have more carpet area then a 3bhk 1000 sq ft flat both with the same plinth area.
    now tell me why you will look at carpet area rather than plinth area.
    the bigger the size of the flat with bigger rooms will have more % of carpet area than smaller flats.
    a 850 sq ft 2BHK will have less % of carpet area than a 1300 sq ft 2bhk.whereas if the common area is same the plinth area % would be same.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear friends

thanks for your discussion

Learnt which is very useful here.

thanks

chataara
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chataara
    Dear friends

thanks for your discussion

Learnt which is very useful here.

thanks

chataara

The plinth area does not really give the floor usable area, but hidden by way of walls, partitions etc. For the actual/practical living, I still feel, the carpet area is a better way of comparison rather than the plinth area. For comparison purpose between different properties, one may have to arrive at the Rs. per sq. ft. of carpet area taking into account all expenses till possession of the flat.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
    The plinth area does not really give the floor usable area, but hidden by way of walls, partitions etc. For the actual/practical living, I still feel, the carpet area is a better way of comparison rather than the plinth area. For comparison purpose between different properties, one may have to arrive at the Rs. per sq. ft. of carpet area taking into account all expenses till possession of the flat.

ks2071746

I understood both the points made by U and Mr. abk.

But What Mr. abk has said makes more sense.

If you prefer carpet area, there is the chance of losing quality construction. Because there is the chance of builder constructing 4.5" wall in between the house.

thanks

chataara
    CommentQuote
    People normally look at the saleable area indicated by the builders and do not really work out and check up the carpet area from the floor plans. A builder selling a flat of 1500 sq. ft. with a carpet area of say 70%, i.e., 1050 sq. ft. as compared to another builder who sells 1400 sq. ft. with a carpet area of 75% also will come to 1050 sq. ft. We should rather compare on the rate arrived at on the carpet area/sq.ft of the buildings and select/decide. Afterall, the carpet area is the real floor area availble for the buyer to live in the flat. wiseman, nataraj and other active members may give further guidance to other members.

ks2071746

Do you know, the architecture of the flat matters. So you might have a very spacious hall but you may not able to fit in the TV and Dining table in a usable way. So forget about plinth carpet argument. There is much more than that. One needs to look at the drawing (assuming it is strictly followed for construction) place articles and see how it fits. Remember usability is the key to a home, not space, not bricks!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    Do you know, the architecture of the flat matters. So you might have a very spacious hall but you may not able to fit in the TV and Dining table in a usable way. So forget about plinth carpet argument. There is much more than that. One needs to look at the drawing (assuming it is strictly followed for construction) place articles and see how it fits. Remember usability is the key to a home, not space, not bricks!

Dear friend,

When I talk about carpet area, it is to be seen coupled with usability and should have reasonable areas for the halls, bed room, kitchen, toilet etc. A very big hall with small bed rooms or kitchen or vice versa is not what I am talking about. For example, it we take a 1400 sq. ft. flat, assuming a carpet area of say about 1000-1050 sq. ft. ( for this flat, the typical areas can be:
    1. Living hall approx. 200 sq. ft.
    2. Dining hall 120 sq. ft.
    3. Kitchen 100 sq. ft.
    4. Bed I 150 sq. ft.
    5. Bed II 130 sq. ft.
    6. Bed III 120 sq. ft.
    7. Balcony 40 sq. ft. one for kitchen, one for hall or one each for 2 bed rooms.
    8. Balance for 3 toilets.
    Don't you feel, this will be a fairly good configuration from utility point of view.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chataara
    I understood both the points made by U and Mr. abk.

But What Mr. abk has said makes more sense.

If you prefer carpet area, there is the chance of losing quality construction. Because there is the chance of builder constructing 4.5" wall in between the house.

thanks

chataara

Dear friend,
    In as much as the main load bearing members like columns and beams are of concrete of appropriate size, the thickness of wall either 4.5 or 6 inches, should it matter much if the bricks used are of good & proper quality. After all, these are only partition walls and of no load bearing nature. A thicker wall only contribute to reduced carpet area. At the same time, if some one goes for say 3 inches by putting the bricks thickness up in the wall is not good.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
    Dear friend,
    In as much as the main load bearing members like columns and beams are of concrete of appropriate size, the thickness of wall either 4.5 or 6 inches, should it matter much if the bricks used are of good & proper quality. After all, these are only partition walls and of no load bearing nature. A thicker wall only contribute to reduced carpet area. At the same time, if some one goes for say 3 inches by putting the bricks thickness up in the wall is not good.

ks2071746

Dear KS

What you said is correct. But If you calculate carpet area to arrive at a certain Sft., certainly the promoter will quote more price.

Consider A flat of 1050 sft (carpet area) of certain number of rooms. If you calculate the plinth area of this flat, it will be of bigger size because of the walls coming in between. (from the promoters angle and charged accordingly)

Thanks

chataara
    CommentQuote