Carpet Area vs Saleable Area

Last updated: June 10 2014
27 | Posts
28845 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet Area vs Saleable Area

People normally look at the saleable area indicated by the builders and do not really work out and check up the carpet area from the floor plans. A builder selling a flat of 1500 sq. ft. with a carpet area of say 70%, i.e., 1050 sq. ft. as compared to another builder who sells 1400 sq. ft. with a carpet area of 75% also will come to 1050 sq. ft. We should rather compare on the rate arrived at on the carpet area/sq.ft of the buildings and select/decide. Afterall, the carpet area is the real floor area availble for the buyer to live in the flat. wiseman, nataraj and other active members may give further guidance to other members.

ks2071746

Re : Carpet Area vs Saleable Area

plinth area is a better parameter to compare builders but many more things do matter let me explain
    the carpet area depends also on the thickness of the walls and the number of walls shared with other flats i.e a flat open on three sides will own all 9" walls wheras a flat which shares walls with other flat will have less wall space (9/2 = 4.5") hence will have more percentage of carpet area. But we generally like a flat to be open on 3 sides.

the construction of wall with bricks will have 9" or 10.5" with plastering as bricks are uneven whereas a wall built with blocks will be 6-7" thick.again a increase in carpet area for the same plinth area.
    But blocks are not preferred by all, they have their own set of problems.
    contd
    Last edited December 19 2008, 12:31 PM. Reason: typo error

Comment

1000 sq ft 2 BHK would have more carpet area than 1000 sq ft 3BHK

Originally posted by abk View Post
      plinth area is a better parameter to compare builders but many more things do matter let me explain
      the carpet area depends also on the thickness of the walls and the number of walls shared with other flats i.e a flat open on three sides will own all 9" walls wheras a flat which shares walls with other flat will have less wall space (9/2 = 4.5") hence will have more percentage of carpet area. But we generally like a flat to be open on 3 sides.

the construction of wall with bricks will have 9" or 10.5" with plastering as bricks are uneven whereas a wall built with blocks will be 6-7" thick.again a increase in carpet area for the same plinth area.
      But blocks are not preferred by all, they have their own set of problems.
      contd
      The size of the flat is a big factor in determining the % of carpet area
      A 1000 sq ft 2 BHK will have more carpet area than a 1000 sq ft 3 BHK as you will have more partition walls.

many bullders have 9" partition walls and many have 4.5" walls makes quite a diff in carpet area.
      therefore plinth area is a better comparision
      Last edited December 19 2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

carpet area vs super built up area

[quote=abk;10029]The size of the flat is a big factor in determining the % of carpet area
        A 1000 sq ft 2 BHK will have more carpet area than a 1000 sq ft 3 BHK as you will have more partition walls.

many bullders have 9" partition walls and many have 4.5" walls makes quite a diff in carpet area.
        therefore plinth area is a better comparision[/quote

Dear abk,

I feel one should really look at the real floor space i.e., the carpet area which is the usable area for the living rather than the plinth area which includes the wall thickness also. Does it matter anything more if the partition wall is 9" instead of 4.5" as long as the foundation is pucka made as per the civil construction practices/norms. Today, I saw an advt. in a web site of a Builder at Perumbur, whose flats give only about 60 to 62 % of carpet area of the superbuilt up/chargeable area which is too low and the buyer will be paying more if he chooses to buy a flat from this builder. Any prospective buyer should not either feel shy or be ignorant to check on this aspect of carpet area as a % of the saleable area and work out the rate/sq. ft. of carpet area when he compares different projects to select the most economical one. More views are welcome.

ks2071746
        Last edited December 27 2008, 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Calculating Carpet Area.

Points to note while calculating carpet area from floor plans

Some plans indicate the room size in terms of built up area/plinth area.That is it includes the thickness of the walls.The carpet area would be around 10% less than the area that is calculated.Better to clarify with the builder.

If the room dimension is 14'10'' * 10'3.5''

I have seen many people make the mistake of factoring the inches as decimals.i.e. 14.10 * 10.4 = ~147 sq.ft which is very misleading.

the area should be calculated as

(14 + 10/12) * (10 + 3.5/12)
          = ~ 14.83 * 10.30
          = ~ 152.75 sq.ft.
          Last edited December 28 2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

[quote=ks2071746;10436]
            Originally posted by abk View Post
            The size of the flat is a big factor in determining the % of carpet area

therefore plinth area is a better comparision[/quote

Dear abk,

I feel one should really look at the real floor space i.e., the carpet area which is the usable area for the living rather than the plinth area which includes the wall thickness also. Does it matter anything more if the partition wall is 9" instead of 4.5" as long as the foundation is pucka made as per the civil construction practices/norms. Today, I saw an advt. in a web site of a Builder at Perumbur, whose flats give only about 60 to 62 % of carpet area of the superbuilt up/chargeable area which is too low and the buyer will be paying more if he chooses to buy a flat from this builder. Any prospective buyer should not either feel shy or be ignorant to check on this aspect of carpet area as a % of the saleable area and work out the rate/sq. ft. of carpet area when he compares different projects to select the most economical one. More views are welcome.

ks2071746
            i am making a point that if a person was buying a 1000 sq ft 2BHK flat then he should compare carpet area of a 1000 sq ft 2 BHK flat of another builder and should compare the walls.what i am trying to say is not whether 9" or 4.5" walls are better but you should normalise the parameters concerened- the common areas too, a good lobby is important which would addd up to the common area where as a small builder would give only a passage wide enough to pass one person-some prefer their bedrooms to be recessed from the living which would entail a passage, again addition of area.
            the builder is handing over to you the plinth area, say if you decide to take off all the walls what is the area you get is the question which answers your rationale for paying that much.the interior planning is your option.the value for maoney is indicated by the plinth area.which is also the area taken up for valuation and cost of construction estimates for your flat.offcourse the common areas do add to the value.as they are shared and the individual should decide what he needs and what is not needed.'A' does not need a swimming pool or a gym 'B' does.carpet area is subject to variation in design and plan.
            Last edited January 6 2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoccaMacca
              Always look at the plinth area.
              I still feel, it is better to consider the actual carpet area in conjunction with the layout of each room/hall/kitchen etc. from the actual utility point of view.

ks2071746

Comment

good information there..

i would go with the carpet area rather than plinth area.
                Last edited February 25 2009, 11:57 AM. Reason: spell

Comment

Originally posted by arti View Post
                  good information there..

i would go with the carpet area rather than plinth area.
                  look at my posts again.the plinth area is the actual area you own exclusively
                  which is your moneys worth. the carpet area is subject to design as i said a 1000 sq ft 2 bhk will have more carpet area then a 3bhk 1000 sq ft flat both with the same plinth area.
                  now tell me why you will look at carpet area rather than plinth area.
                  the bigger the size of the flat with bigger rooms will have more % of carpet area than smaller flats.
                  a 850 sq ft 2BHK will have less % of carpet area than a 1300 sq ft 2bhk.whereas if the common area is same the plinth area % would be same.

Comment

Dear friends

thanks for your discussion

Learnt which is very useful here.

thanks

chataara

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X