The real estate segment from Americas to Europe is going under. The real estate prices in USA are down 18% from last year. In some key markets where the home prices went up just like India (upward of 40%/year) such as Las Vegas, San Francisco, Miami, the prices have actually gone down by 30%+ in 1 year and projected to go down further 30%+ in 2009. The trend is still pointing downward even when the mortgage rates are at 4.5%/year. Comparing these, the rates in India are still considerably higher. Spain has worst real estate bubble in Europe and its property prices still did not rise as fast as India’s. Spanish real estate is expected to start stabilizing (not recovering) in 12 to 18 months.
Before you invest in real estate, consider the following facts:
1. Job Losses: Job losses are still happening and will only accelerate in 2009 with projected 1 million job losses/month only in United States. Indian industries such as IT, BPO, Textile are still 60%+ dependant on USA.
2. Europe is still struggling with several of its large economies (France, Germany, Italy, UK etc) have negative growth projections for 2009. If you think it’s not bad, know it that they had positive growth in 2008. They think it will be bad for them; we are dependent on them, what makes us deferent?
3. Japan went into slowdown in 1990s and till date it hasn’t gotten out of it. It’s the second largest economy in the world. Toyota (one of the world’s strongest companies) has posted first loss in 71 years.
4. Economists are not simply calling it a recession but a depression. Do a brief read up on what happened during depression of 1930s and 1970s. It’s not pretty.
5. If you are investing in real estate for purely investment purposes and not to live, put yourself in the shoes of real estate speculators in Las Vegas and Miami. See if you can sit on the house seeing its value depreciate when you could have invested in more productive assets.
6. We had a brief primer in real estate fall in Mumbai in the 1990s. Learn from the people who got burnt.
7. Fall in Commodity prices including the price of Crude Oil (Major and probably the only source of income in Gulf countries) is having an adverse impact on the boom that was there. So there would be job losses in Gulf countries as well. Remember OPEC has been meeting consistently and talking about reducing the oil production.
8. China with its vast foreign exchange reserve is still not able to maintain its growth rate. Its projected growth rate for 2009 is 6%. Some time back Chinese officials claimed that growth rate below 8% is devastating for China’s internal peace. This is even after the fact China has offered the stimulus package worth $586 billion (compare that to India’s $4 Billion).
9. Satyam-Maytag Deal: Remember how wholeheartedly investors dumped the Satyam stock? They wouldn’t have down that if they saw value in the real estate segment.
10. Remittances from NRIs: Remittance from NRIs would certainly be down because NRIs just don’t print money. They still have to have a job and a sense of security to keep sending money home. If I was keeping $15,000 with me before, I would be at least saving $10,000 + cost of living for 6 months before sending a dime to invest in speculative real estate.

I am consistently getting emails from real estate companies/agents/dealers saying that now is time to buy and we have reached the bottom. My response to them is rest of the world’s economist with 100+ years of financial data analyzed are still not in a position to call the bottom.
The 3 biggest buyers of real estate in India were:
1. Well to do professionals such as IT people, BPO people, people with higher salaries (above 10-15 lacks/year) specifically employees of multinationals.
2. Business owners and people with black money investing in the real estate to hide the income.
3. NRIs who intend to either live (some day) in India and NRIs who thought that real estate in India would earn them more returns than in their countries of residence.
The banks which were lending to buy the real estate are suffering themselves from the tightened
The banks which were lending for the real estate purchase are themselves suffering from the credit crunch. The banks will soon be too reluctant to lend (even though the interest rates are down, where is the money to lend?) and will be lot stricter in their lending.
Now coming back to the 3 types of borrowers:
1. IT/BPO/MNC employees: Their jobs are on the line in 2009/2010. Those with job are not guaranteed that job when the sheet hit the fan in 2009/2010. Even if they have cash at hand, they will be reluctant to make the move. The laid off people will find it difficult to make payments and houses will be repossessed. These people once burnt, will be very slow to come back to real estate market.
2. Business owners will find their lines of credit affected due to credit crunch and/or their sales down. How long will they just sit on the property if the value keeps dropping? They still need to capital to keep the business running.
3. NRIs: NRIs have already lost 20% of their investment even if the house prices didn’t drop. This is because Indian Rupee has dropped 20% compared to US$. Remember, NRIs realize their gains in their country of residence. It’s worst for NRIs than the other 2 groups combined.
If you think about it, worst has not even started yet. You will see it start when builders who borrowed from the banks are not able to make good on their payments, large number of houses and businesses will be repossessed, builders will start selling under the cost just to get rid of the inventory and speculative investors will rid themselves of the un-needed properties.
I am not trying to discourage everyone from the real estate. I am one of the people still holding the house and few other properties in India. I was lucky to offload a few of them in August but I am still left holding the bag on few others. The only people who should be buying right now are those who can justify rent vs. buy equation and have guarantee of source of income. If you don't know that equation, read up before buying real estate. It's an investment of life time. Don't go with the hype.
Read more
36 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
No replies found.