I'm currently living on a lower floor and am a bit tired of the noise made by my upstair neigbours. They are not noisy all of the time but still when the kids upstairs play around in the house or when they bang their doors late in the night, i become a bit irritated. I have been thinking of buying a second house for sometime and am considering one on the top floor now. Can someone tell me if living on the top floor can help solve my noise issues?
Read more
7 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Sure it can help you to get rid off of noise and sounds made by upper floor residents, however it comes with a cost of extra expense you need to Cool your Flat in Summers and Heat your Flat in Winters. As Roofs of the Top floors are directly exposed to the Weather (Summer/Rain/Winter). In case if the Building is high rise (>15 Floors)... The waiting/Traveling time through Lift should also be considered. If the numbers of Lifts are less.. living on the higher floors increase this time significantly.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks man! Top floor it is now. :)
    CommentQuote
  • Top floor

Originally Posted by justaguy
    Thanks man! Top floor it is now. :)

Wait and think of all aspects.What happens if your top floor neighbour has noisy children? If the terrace entrance is not kept locked and evenings people use the area, still noise will be there.If you are close to airport,then noise will be there.
    I would suggest noise proofing your house to a large extent, would serve the purpose in better manner.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi Vaibhav, I checked a lot of soundproofing forums and looks like it's not possible to eliminate the noise completely, but it can be reduced a bit.. :( What you say is possible but in such case the neighbors children will not be playing at late night in open area, and even if they do, noise outside a flat is better than over one's head, since I'll have at least 2 doors (main door and bedroom door), providing some respite.. :) After a lot of thinking I plan to get a top floor flat in a low rise preferably one having lifts as well... I lived in delhi on such a flat for more than 10 years and miss the quite... I've zeroed in on such a project and plan to book soon. If it doesn't works out, I can always sell and move.. thanks! :)
    CommentQuote
  • With westernisation of urban India, new generations are actually preferring top floors in NCR as well.

Pros:
    - Less Noise
    - Less pollution
    - Better views from balconies
    - Cheap compared to middle floors
    - In some cases you get roof rights as well

Cons:
    - Extra heat in summers
    - Dependency on lifts
    - Heavy luggage movement if service lift not available
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by justaguy
    I'm currently living on a lower floor and am a bit tired of the noise made by my upstair neigbours. They are not noisy all of the time but still when the kids upstairs play around in the house or when they bang their doors late in the night, i become a bit irritated. I have been thinking of buying a second house for sometime and am considering one on the top floor now. Can someone tell me if living on the top floor can help solve my noise issues?

living in a beautiful independent house(with constr cost of 1700-1800/sqft) made by constructing on vacant plots available at subdued rates(say 65-70K/sq yard in gurgaon sectors like 57 etc) will solve all ur issues.........but that will require u to forego overpriced apartment prices, hefty maintenance charges & false sense of security of gated soceities which is difficult to resist now-a-days...lol
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by himrathore
    With westernisation of urban India, new generations are actually preferring top floors in NCR as well.

Pros:
    - Less Noise
    - Less pollution
    - Better views from balconies
    - Cheap compared to middle floors
    - In some cases you get roof rights as well

Cons:
    - Extra heat in summers
    - Dependency on lifts
    - Heavy luggage movement if service lift not available

Yes, particularly if the building is low rise, then people have no issue opting for top floors.. it's in very high rise (>18-20) that you tend to think twice.
    CommentQuote