Collapse

Wooden Flooring

Last updated: November 29 2012
38 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Wooden Flooring

To add I would say that if water seeps below that wooden flooring its all over.

it would be destroyed and to get it done all over again would dig a deep hole in your pocket.

another way is taking a separate insurance for such damages which again doesn't come cheap.

first hand experience

Comment

The so called wooden flooring are mostly Vinyl based. They are durable, good looking (to most) and add value to the house. They do not however server the intended purpose since its not wood. Its mostly marketing and can score some points when you buy it or resell it.

Comment

Do take a look at this too -

https://www.indianrealestateforum.co...erince?t=17950
        Please read IREF rules | FAQ's

Comment

Hardwood wooden floors are expensive: they run around $10-15 sft. IMHO, hardwood floors keep a single family home cooler in summer than carpet. That said, they are not suitable in a high dust environment like India. Furthermore, they are easily damaged by water. Most wooden items in India today are made from the cheap Malaysian laminate crap.

Comment

Probably builders know when chaps come from US after visa expiry they need to be given same feel of New Hampshire, Vermont, Buffalo, Chicago where this wooden flooring would be prevalent.

Spare the trees guys. Say no to excessive wood consumption.

Comment

I have seen wooden feel tiles in my friends house and they are really good. It gives good feel to bedroom , different from other rooms. Even in winter season they neven get cold as tiles so one can sit on it and childrens can play. It is not wood so no question of damaing. As they are seperate tiles only one tile can be changed. I have normal 2 X 2 tiles in my bedroom but will prefer to change it to wooden in future.

Comment

I was thinking whethey they can be put in the hall/dining area to impress our guests . Any thoughts on this ?

Comment

In CA, residential homes are wood because of earthquake issues. If US runs out of wood, then there is always the Amazon forest. Besides, tile is pretty too, why go for hardwood floors?

Comment

Nice thread. Here is something for you all.

Wooden flooring is actually in 4 types:-

1.) Solid WF,
                    2.) Engineered WF,
                    3.) Laminated WF,
                    4.) Outdoor WF.

The first 2 are for rough uses indoors, where you can even drive a bicycle on it!! In India, most builders give 3rd one, where it is actually just a powder of wood (scrap) which is stuck together with glue & sheets on both sides. A laminated layer is put on it which gives you the color & design which you see. This is indeed eco-friendly coz trees are not cut for this, it is just the powder collected after cutting of trees is done for various purposes.

The outdoor WF is for outdoors, near swimming pool deck, margin area of skating ring etc. This is water & dust resistant.

Personally I do like wooden flooring especially for bedrooms as it gives cozy feel & it feels more soft for the feet too, no need to use indoor chappals. When temp falls in winter, even in Pune, I use indoor chappels or socks with rubber sole.

The other option which I like for flooring is Italian marble flooring. Looks damn good & feels solid .

And yes, use of such floorings is not for mere aesthetic purpose but the life is more too. Man, just close the door of Maruti Ritz & close the door of VW Polo. Though both are doors, the sound of the 'THUD' is much nicer in Polo than Ritz!! Same is the case with flooring too.

* PS:- Vitrified tiles are not at all eco-friendly. If one studies the process of making vitrified tiles, it can be seen that several harmful chemicals are thrown out. The only eco-friendly floorings are those like marble, granite, stone flooring etc.
                    If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Speaking of eco-friendliness or un-friendliness, how does a population of 1.2 billion rate

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X