I was looking for a decent software program that would allow me to assist me in renovating or designing building. I was wondering if there were any programs that would also give me estimates on the amount of material that is required, such as wood, nail/screws, drywall, etc. I have seen programs like AutoCAD, but I don’t think that is what I am looking for because of cost and the lack of material list I believe. Thanks in advance.
Read more
6 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Hey..what amazing things you are talking about...

If Wipros and Infosyss are listening they will fall flat for your ideas.

In my view its not really possible to have a software estimating such costs and perhaps it is not there in existence at present given the nature and properties of building design, quality and safety expectations, regional atmosphere, logistics, and other arrangements of taxation...:)
    CommentQuote
  • Hi....

Originally Posted by vikram
    Hey..what amazing things you are talking about...

If Wipros and Infosyss are listening they will fall flat for your ideas.

In my view its not really possible to have a software estimating such costs and perhaps it is not there in existence at present given the nature and properties of building design, quality and safety expectations, regional atmosphere, logistics, and other arrangements of taxation...:)

Hey why not !! It is possible to have such a program. andrewhomes is just asking about designing a building and the amount of material that is required for its designing. Infact before designing a house everybody does make such estimates. If one can calculate it manually, then why not through a computer program. Infact S/W programmers make much more sophesticated programs other than these. Its very easy for a software programmer to make such a program if he does specify all the required properties of the building like height, width etc.

Well, andrewhomes I think Google Search can hep you to find such programs.
    CommentQuote
  • Software

Hi,

Yes there is such a program , I can't name it right now. will find it out for you.
    Plz wait.

bye
    vinod
    CommentQuote
  • Very Informative...

Hi andrewhomes!!

Refer to the site "chiefarchitect.com"

I hope you'll find it very informative...
    CommentQuote
  • Well people, there is software and i am using it as an architect and the name of software is REVIT ARCHITECTURE 2008 , the speciality of this software is that it not only draft the plan of house but also generate reports and summary of estimation and BOQ in excel format ETC. and simultaneously it made 3D of the house.
    CommentQuote
  • Frankly speaking the estimate depends upon the quality of structure,flooring,wood work,interiors,etc.The quality construction that we do costs us 1500 per sq feet as date now.But there are many builders that can make building in 800-900 sq feets...It all depends upon the quality.
    CommentQuote