Last updated: October 8 2015
2 | Posts
2124 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumatic Pump Vs Over Head Tank

Hi All,

The builder had initially promised OHT tank in the construction agreement. Suddenly, they have sent a mail informing all the buyers that there is a change in plan and they are offering a supposed 'upgrade' to Pneumatic pumps instead of an OHT as they give uniform water pressure at all floors.

From what I have heard, pneumatic pumps increase maintenance costs. Does anyone have experience living in apartments where such a system is in use? Is this really an upgrade to be happy about?

Building: S+4 (380) apartments.
    Last edited September 15 2015, 11:27 PM.

Re : Pneumatic Pump Vs Over Head Tank

Originally posted by kamskans View Post
    Hi All,

The builder had initially promised OHT tank in the construction agreement. Suddenly, they have sent a mail informing all the buyers that there is a change in plan and they are offering a supposed 'upgrade' to Pneumatic pumps instead of an OHT as they give uniform water pressure at all floors.

From what I have heard, pneumatic pumps increase maintenance costs. Does anyone have experience living in apartments where such a system is in use? Is this really an upgrade to be happy about?

kamskans; Yes the use of pneumatic pumps will tend to increase the maintainence costs of the building as compared to those buildings which have provision of over head tanks.

At a high level a hydro pneumatic system looks neat and sophisticated but the problem is with the efficiency of the system. In the building I used to stay, every time anyone opened a tap for water or used water in the bathroom, the pumps got switched on. We observed that it started and stopped almost every 2 seconds. Any pump takes higher current to start up (6 to 7 times more than stable operation) and since the pumps were starting very frequently, the electricity consumption was very high. Extra energy is also required to achieve constant pressure across the building.

The other drawback of such a system is that it will not work in places where there are frequent power cut. There is no emergency water reserve. Power supply must be 24/7, The building is without water if power failure occurs / with DG backup, the water supply is disrupted or the pumps fail to operate for any reason. From an energy efficiency perspective, a hydro pneumatic system is just too expensive to operate.

Hope i solved your query

Regards

Comment

Re : Pneumatic Pump Vs Over Head Tank

Originally posted by kamskans View Post
      Hi All,

Disadvantages of overhead tanks

-Affected by weather.
      -Take up space.
      -Require anchoring when there is less water in the tank

Comment

Tags: oht pneumatic
      Have any questions or thoughts about this?
      Working...
      X