Hi,

If tenant has made his house in the same city but now he/she don't want to leave.

Is there any Rule of Indian rent control?

Suppose a scenario if tenant is living more than 10 years.
Read more
11 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Fight for your Right

According to law (rent control act) if the tenant has other accommodation he must vacate the place but there are so many loop holes and the biggest obstacle the tennant is more than happy to go to court saying that it will take 15 - 20 years in court to come up with a judgement so why bother...

One of my relatives is going threw a similar problem she has been fighting to get her flat back for the past 15 years the tenant has three flats in mumbai one big house in baroda in gujrat and still he refuses to vacate saying that if he can live here for next to free then why should i move ...infact the sistuation is so bad for her cause she lives in a society that the tenant gives her Rs.1500 as rent and the society demands Rs.5500 as maintenance for the flat so she is now actually paying the society more for maintenance than the actual rent she is getting ..!!!

But i tell you like i tell her dont give up the fight you are right, my whole family supports her in her actions cause she is doing the right thing.

Also hoping that the government wakes up and amends this rent act cause its not only affecting the landlords its affecting a whole nation excluding a few politicians and a few traders and one of the main reasons why Mumbai's infrastructure is so bad and why the biggest slums in asia are also in Mumbai and at the same time one of the most expensive real estate in the world because the rental system for the past 40 years is virtually dead in mumbai no one wants to rent no one wants to make rental apartments ..its either buy a million $ flat or live in a slum ..iam giving mumbai as a example but there are quite a few states in india with the same old rent act Delhi also has the same problem.

All i will say is dont give up ...if going to court is the only option this tenant is giving you then go . Get all your papers ready and registered get a good lawyer put on your gloves and get in the ring ..GOOD LUCK
    CommentQuote
  • Tenant from last 22 years

We are living in a house from more than 20 years.

Do we have any rule which says that if we are tenant more than 20 years the house will be owned by us.
    CommentQuote
  • As Rent Control Act is a state subject, u need to check as to what is applicable in your state of residence .
    CommentQuote
  • If no one lays a claim on house, and you have lived in it for 20 years..then only you can claim as yours. As you are a tenant, even if you live in it for 100 years , house won't be yours . What you are supposing is kabza ..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rajanu

Do we have any rule which says that if we are tenant more than 20 years the house will be owned by us.

This condition applies only to uninterrupted and continuous possession of the property for 20 years. Then only you shall have that right.

But this possession should not had been subject to any lease agreement or any other agreement.

----------------

Yes, you can get the property evacuated and get the tenant evicted if you can prove that you have personal necessity and the tenant have other residential place to live in. It will work for sure.

Yes, it takes time but if you lawyer is active and not a lousy one then it shall take a lot less time.
    CommentQuote

Hummmm, even if there is such a rule, will you use it. I would really like to hear the answer :)
    CommentQuote

guru ye to chauka maar diya tumne.. mein bhi India mein 20 saal se hoon, soch raha hoon India hi apne naam kara loon. :D

bhai bade bade dekhe.. aap jaisa nahi dekha!!
    CommentQuote

Best of luck to all landlords and especially the person who has rented his house to you. :)

Come on dude...you can't be serious!
    CommentQuote

If you live in a house for more than 12 yrs without paying any regular rent in white and there is no legal agreement with you then you have good chance once landlord summons you to court.

This info is based on chit chat with frnds and I am no lawyer.
    CommentQuote
  • never let a tenant get a feel of ownership of your property

Rajanu – yes you can claim the house on your name and chances are more if you are messing with a real man then he would teach you a lesson of your life by kicking your . . . . *** so hard that your next seven generation would remember that.

My In-laws (both above 60) fought 2 cases where tenant had got unauthorized KABZA and believe me first cast get resolved in 1.5 years and second after 3 years. Tenant had paid a large amount as compensation. What I am trying to establish is “never let a tenant get a feel of ownership of your property", which is made by hard efforts and by no means except your children, anyone get a ride of it”

We could simply kick them out but we had faith in law, yes one has to smart enough to utilize the law effectively, sometimes unawareness gives you bad experience.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ThePunjabi
    Best of luck to all landlords and especially the person who has rented his house to you. :)

Come on dude...you can't be serious!

Originally Posted by sidhuRE
    guru ye to chauka maar diya tumne.. mein bhi India mein 20 saal se hoon, soch raha hoon India hi apne naam kara loon. :D

bhai bade bade dekhe.. aap jaisa nahi dekha!!

This is the best one I heard today........ jiyo.....
    CommentQuote