Last updated: September 12 2009
1 | Posts
2138 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of Power of Attorney

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old NRI (citizen of USA). When I was a little kid, my father bought a property in India under my name. Since I was a minor, he cosigned the paperwork with me. We're now looking to sell that property. Since we are no longer in India, we want to transfer the power of attorney to my uncle (father's brother). From reading other threads on this forum, I see that the process requires us to fill out "Special Power of Attorney" form that I've already acquired. After doing some searching online, I've found that some people say that it is enough to sign the form and get it notarized by a bank or law office here in the US and send it back to India. Other people say that it is not enough to just get it notarized, but that you have to get it attested at an Indian consulate or embassy in the US. The problem is that I work M-F and it is very difficult for me to take time off to go a consulate. The nearest one to me is about a 6 hour drive away. So I'm wondering if it is possible to just get the form notarized and not go to an embassy/consulate. If it is necessary for me to go the consulate, since the property was purchased under my name while I was a minor and co-signed by my father, do we both need to go or can just one of us go? Any information you can provide will be much appreciated. Thank you!!
    Last edited August 31 2009, 07:58 PM. Reason: This matter is very time sensistive and I need a reply quickly. Thank you!

Re : Transfer of Power of Attorney

hI,
    tHE LATER PART NOTED BY YOU IS CORRECT AND BY THE WAY, SINCE YOUR FATHER HAD SIGNED WHILE U WERE MINOR, IT IS NECCESARY THAT YOU BOTH HAVE TO SIGN THE DOCUMETNS AND FORWARD TO YOUR UNCLE IN INDIA. HE THEN SHOULD GET THOSE DOCUMENTS ATTESTED BY A COLLECTOR WITHIN 3 MONTHS. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
    Working...
    X