Vaastu Shastra - Tips

Vaastu Shastra is based on the principle of eight directions for proper implementation of the energy sources.
Experts practicing Vaastu Shastra recommend adhering to certain guidelines or tips for successful implementation of the ancient science.

Share you knowlegde - 'tips on Vaastu' with the real estate fraternity.
Read more
1782 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Dear RealAcres,

Please suggest on the vaastu points on my flat.

Thanks,
    Pka_fbd
    CommentQuote
  • Avoid spiral staircases

Madan Gupta Spatu

Stairs are used to connect different levels in the same building. In a house with more than one level, the staircase will be used everyday a number of times. Hence, the staircase should be comfortably designed for the users.
    Most houses consist of multiple floors and require structures to bridge the vertical distance between them. Normally, the medium used is staircase available in a plethora of shapes (such as round, straight, etc) and materials (concrete, wooden, etc). However, before choosing any character, size or direction, you should make sure that the blueprint of your stairway conforms with vaastu for staircase.
    Staircase is usually accessed from the dining room. It should be in the south-west, south or west part of the house. Stairs in the north-east direction are considered to be a source of illness.
    The slope, the first flight should be from east to west or north to south. The staircase should always turn clockwise when turning to the next step. Square or rectangular stairs that bend at the right angles are considered good while risers should not be too high or too steep. Such kind of stairs drain out positive energy from the house.
    There should be no staircase just outside the main door of the room because it is being said that such defect keeps away good luck.
    There should be odd number of risers in a staircase such as 15, 17, 19 etc. Make the number of stairs odd. It should not end with zero. The number of risers should be such odd numbers that when divided by 3, the remainder is always 2.
    Paint staircase in light colours. Avoid red and black colours.
    Repair broken stairs immediately otherwise it may cause accidents or mental tension due to clashes. The circular or spiral staircase should be avoided. Rot iron must not be used.
    The space under the staircases should not be used for any purpose. No toilet, kitchen, bathroom or pooja room should be made in the space under the staircases. It causes health problems. The area can certainly be used for storage, though.
    Direct stairs outside the room can make your home accident-prone and brings bad luck.
    Do not use common staircase for going upstairs and to the basement as well.
    Keeping doors at beginning and end of the staircase is considered auspicious. Care should be taken to ensure that the stairs do not touch the eastern or northern walls. If a linear staircase is designed either inside or outside the house, it should begin from east to west or north to south. Afterwards, it may take any direction. Staircase should be built in a way that the stairs are not directly visible to the guests. It is considered inauspicious.
    Remedies: If the staircase could not be constructed as per Vaastu norms, fill rain water in a small silver vessel, cover it with its lid and bury it under the stairs during construction. Or place seven types of cereals (satnaja-comprising wheat, rice, black grams, maize, bajra, barley, jawar) in an earthen pot and one pitcher filled with water on the top of your constructed house. This remedy is panacea for all sorts of Vaastu defects as per Lal Kitab.
    The writer is a Chandigarh-based Vaastu consultant. Readers can send their suggestions/queries at realestate@tribunemail.com
    Source:The Tribune
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Both are not good. Reasons are-

For flat 02:-

> Entrance is SE, fire element, will burn all opportunities before they enter your house,

> Kitchen in North-NE. Financial probs & probs with health of the lady of the house, especially head probs.

> A toilet on north wall, in North-NW. Again money probs.

For flat 04:-

> Entrance SW, west facing; one lacks control over self life,

> M.bed in NE, leads to probs in progeny,

> 2nd bedroom in NW, leads to confusion. NW bedroom is good only for girls of marriage age & guest room only.

Btw, amongst all the flats, 06 looks better. If interested send me the plan in jpeg.

Thanks, Real, But from the 'view' point of view, I can not consider 06. I understand you disapprove both 02 and 04. However, if you have to choose any one of these two, which one would you.

Thanks again.
    CommentQuote
  • Feast on positive energy

Madan Gupta Spatu

DINING ROOM

It is old maxim that money should not be counted before an unknown person and eating must not be visible to outsiders. So the main entrance door should not face the dining room in a home. Dining room is a very important part of the house. Another saying goes - 'Jaisa Khao Ann Vaisa Hove Mann'. So it is very important that the food that you have has a positive effect on you and your family. Even the place where a person takes food, could cast positive or negative vibrations on him. Your guests always remember your tasty food and carry an everlasting impression of your dining location.
    Location: Dining room should be located in west whereas kitchen should be made in the south-east direction. Dining room should not be located in southern side. It should be ensured that while eating in the dining room, there is no beam or loft over your head.
    Atmosphere: Landscape paintings in the dining room make the atmosphere happy and enhance general pleasure. Sceneries and paintings especially of fruits have a positive effect.

Colour scheme: Light pink, light green, cream etc are the ideal colours. Avoid black and white.
    Shape of the dining table: It should be square or rectangular. Avoid round or oval shaped dining tables. The dining table should not be attached to any wall.
    Location of TV and electronic appliances: Electrical appliances like refrigerator should be in the south-eastern direction. Although we have to be updated with news every minute but television should not be placed in the dining room
    Face: The head of the family should be seated at the dining table facing the east. Other members of the family can face east, north, or west, but it is not advisable for anyone to face south while having meals.
    Lighting: Lights create positive energy and a relaxed environment. Lighting should be according to the mood and taste of the family. Candles and lamps give special effects to any meal. Ceiling lights should fall vertically and mainly focus on the surface of the dining table.
    Sink: This can be located in the northeast corner of the dining room, or on the north or east sides of the room. Water arrangement should be in north-east direction.
    The door of Pooja room/ toilet should not open in front of the dining area.
    Crockery: If console has to be placed near the dining area for storage of crockery and utensils, it should be on South/West wall of that area.
    Very Important: We should serve food to cow, birds and other animals before eating ourselves. The writer is a Chandigarh-based Vaastu consultant. Readers can send their suggestions/queries at realestate@tribunemail.com.
    CommentQuote
  • Living with vaastu

Madan Gupta Spatu

Vaastu Shastra is an ancient Indian architectural science that evolved some 5,000 years ago with roots in the sacred Vedic texts. Its principles of building planning and construction seek to bring about an ideal and harmonious balance between humans and the environment. And as a balanced existence generally paves the way for a happy, fulfilled one, following the principles of Vaastu Shastra can result in a life well-lived.
    In doing Vaastu of any place — home, workplace, building, factory, land or plot we try to harmonise the place with respect to the five basic elements called as Panchbhoota namely air, water, fire, earth and space. Here are some broad principles that should be kept in mind by house owners for a balanced, healthy and happy life:
    Selecting a plot

Plots should be square or rectangular in shape – never triangular, circular, hexagonal, elliptical or zig-zag — and preferably sloping towards north, east and north-east.The soil should not be sandy, infertile or marshy. The ground level should be higher in south and west rather than north and east. Plots facing north or east are better than those facing south or west. A canal, a lake, river, nallah, a big well or pond should be in north or east. Heavy construction or mountains should be in west or south of the plot There should not be any big tree in north or east of the plot.
    l There should not be any pit or well in south or west direction.
    l All four corners should be at 90 degree (set square). If only north east is extended i.e. if it is less than 90 degree, it will do.
    l All rain water should ideally flow from south to north and west to east.
    l South west should be highest and north east should be the lowest in level. If all the corners are not at 90 degres then we should correct it before starting the construction.
    l If the deadend of a road is coming in the plot then it should be taken care of. There should not be any hills or mountains in east or north side of your plot.
    l At the time of purchasing the adjacent plot purchase only in east, north or north-east plots. Never purchase adjacent plot in south or west or accept if even if offered for free.
    Tips for construction of house
    l The central space of the home, known as the Brahmasthan, should remain vacant. In ancient India and in many existing old palaces and havelis, rooms were built around a central courtyard. The purpose of this central courtyard is to create a breathing space inside the home and to attract beneficial cosmic energies.
    l Kitchen should be in the south-east, the dining room in the west, the living room and the master bedroom in the south-west, the guest bedroom in the north-west, the bath room in the East or the North, the prayer room in the North-East and so also the well and water supply.Sleep with your head towards the east or the south.
    Avoid clutter in your home. Keep only those things that are useful, aesthetically pleasing or personally significant. Doors and windows should face east. This ensures the maximum benefit of morning sunlight, which, as we all know, contains the life-sustaining Vitamin D. Limit the number of openings to the west and south as afternoon sunlight isn’t as beneficial. Doors and windows should also allow for maximum natural ventilation and light.
    The writer is a city-based Vaastu consultant
    CommentQuote
  • Some tips for your homes

Originally Posted by devindrashah
    Dear Real Acres,

Hi...pl find attached the flat layout of an apartment that I have own and live in. Its on the 4th floor and is the top most floor. I bought it Aug 09 and moved in Dec 09.

I (age 36) am the bread winner of the family and live with my wife (age 31) and 2 children. (Daughter 6.5 yrs & son 3 yrs)

Pl have a look and request your valuable inputs on the same.

The areas marked in red within the apartment is the current positions of things.

Dear devindrashah,

I will convert pdf to jpeg & then inform you precisely all the things.
    Prima facie, it shows that your m.bed is in NE & the attach toilet/bath is also in NE part of the house. Both these things are bad. First thing you need to do is stop the use of bath/toi located here & shift your bedroom to SW. You will miss the bath-tub/jacuzzi in your bathroom, but you have no choice my friend. Rest of the things, I will inform to you in detail in coming week as I am flying out of state tonite for a week. In the meantime, plant a tulsi in a tulsi-vrindavan or pot in that NE terrace/balcony & use chandan incense stick inside your house & in front of tulsi everyday in morning & evening. Same applied to pka_fbd as well.

Btw, Vastushastra has nothing to do with number of people in your house, their age etc. This is used for getting kia/kua number in Feng Shui. Vastushastra is science about Vastu/place of dwelling & is applicable to every resident irrespective of gender, age, caste etc. as it is universal.

Originally Posted by pka_fbd
    Hi Sir,

Request to comment on the vaastu posture of my to be home. Please share your observation. If there are issues, please recommend the corrective actions.

Thanks,
    pka_fbd

Frankly, yours is one of the good plans I have seen uploaded on this forum till date. Some remedies though need to be done. However, first thing you need to do is to STOP the use of common toilet altogether as it is located in North-NE part of the house. As you have good terrace is NE (which is very good), place a tulsi plant here. It will help you a lot. Rest is fine, but I will inform both of you some vastu tips needed to be done in your homes once I am back in town next week. Till then bear with me & do the above mentioned.

pka_fbd & devindrashah-

In your bathrooms in North-NE, place a bowl of raw salt (samudri namak & not refined one which we eat) & change it after every 15 days. Use an exhaust fan as well to keep air clean in all your bathrooms & bathrooms should be clean & neat. Remember is a ROOM at the end of the day.

Will give some important tips to both of you to enhance positive vibes at your residence.

And hey, please don't call me SIR....call me real or RA. :)

Regards,

Realacres
    CommentQuote
    Dear devindrashah,

Prima facie, it shows that your m.bed is in NE & the attach toilet/bath is also in NE part of the house. Both these things are bad. First thing you need to do is stop the use of bath/toi located here & shift your bedroom to SW. You will miss the bath-tub/jacuzzi in your bathroom, but you have no choice my friend. Rest of the things, I will inform to you in detail in coming week as I am flying out of state tonite for a week. In the meantime, plant a tulsi in a tulsi-vrindavan or pot in that NE terrace/balcony & use chandan incense stick inside your house & in front of tulsi everyday in morning )

Dear RA, thank you. The bedroom in the NE is being used by my children. I am using the SW bedroom.

Eagerly awaiting your other inputs.....
    thank you once againDear devindrashah,

Prima facie, it shows that your m.bed is in NE & the attach toilet/bath is also in NE part of the house. Both these things are bad. First thing you need to do is stop the use of bath/toi located here & shift your bedroom to SW. You will miss the bath-tub/jacuzzi in your bathroom, but you have no choice my friend. Rest of the things, I will inform to you in detail in coming week as I am flying out of state tonite for a week. In the meantime, plant a tulsi in a tulsi-vrindavan or pot in that NE terrace/balcony & use chandan incense stick inside your house & in front of tulsi everyday in morning )

Dear RA, thank you. The bedroom in the NE is being used by my children. I am using the SW bedroom.

Eagerly awaiting your other inputs.....
    thank you once again
    CommentQuote
    Dear devindrashah,

Prima facie, it shows that your m.bed is in NE & the attach toilet/bath is also in NE part of the house. Both these things are bad. First thing you need to do is stop the use of bath/toi located here & shift your bedroom to SW. You will miss the bath-tub/jacuzzi in your bathroom, but you have no choice my friend. Rest of the things, I will inform to you in detail in coming week as I am flying out of state tonite for a week. In the meantime, plant a tulsi in a tulsi-vrindavan or pot in that NE terrace/balcony & use chandan incense stick inside your house & in front of tulsi everyday in morning & evening. Same applied to pka_fbd as well.

Btw, Vastushastra has nothing to do with number of people in your house, their age etc. This is used for getting kia/kua number in Feng Shui. Vastushastra is science about Vastu/place of dwelling & is applicable to every resident irrespective of gender, age, caste etc. as it is universal.

Frankly, yours is one of the good plans I have seen uploaded on this forum till date. Some remedies though need to be done. However, first thing you need to do is to STOP the use of common toilet altogether as it is located in North-NE part of the house. As you have good terrace is NE (which is very good), place a tulsi plant here. It will help you a lot. Rest is fine, but I will inform both of you some vastu tips needed to be done in your homes once I am back in town next week. Till then bear with me & do the above mentioned.

pka_fbd & devindrashah-

In your bathrooms in North-NE, place a bowl of raw salt (samudri namak & not refined one which we eat) & change it after every 15 days. Use an exhaust fan as well to keep air clean in all your bathrooms & bathrooms should be clean & neat. Remember is a ROOM at the end of the day.

Will give some important tips to both of you to enhance positive vibes at your residence.

And hey, please don't call me SIR....call me real or RA. :)

Regards,

Realacres

Thanks a lot RA for the advice and appreciating the layout. Sure will take care of the NE bathroom. In-fact, we have decided to keep this bathroom just for guest or in emergency purposes. We will place the washing machine for in this bathroom and will not be used for taking bath. This NE bathroom has dual light, fresh air fan and a window. Looking forward on your inputs for the whole house. However, please let us know on these aspects as well -

1. West entrance - is it good or some thing better can be done.
    2. Kitchen layout and position
    3. servant room point of view
    4. master bed room layout

Thanks
    pka_fbd
    CommentQuote
  • Hi Realacres,
    Please guide me regarding Vastu for the attached flat layout.
    The flat is on 8th Floor and the adjacent flat(Towards North Side) is a refuge flat. Is that a problem (i.e having refuge flat on North side)

After going through all your posts i understood the following wrt the attached flat Layout.

Problem Areas are:- Cut in NE and SW corners - Is that Ok?
    - Bramhasthan have Beam, Wardrobe and Refrigerator. Is it Fine?
    - Can the small room on East side be used as Study Room/ Childrens Room/Guest BR and Puja room as per requirement?
    - What should be the location of Shoe Rack - Outside the House and Which corner?

If you find any other problems please mention it with remedies.
    Also please give some remedies for above mentioned problems.
    Also please mention the good points about the Layout.

If the Entrance to small room on East side is modified from Northwest Side (as per Layout) to SouthWest side, which entrance location is Good. The reason to modify the Enterance for small Room is to swap the position of Dinning/Sitting arrangement in Living.

Please Guide.

Regards
    Mahesh
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Gateway to bliss

Gateway to bliss
    Madan Gupta Spatu

The entrance of a house very truly reflects the status of owners. In ancient times the entrance gates and doors of forts, temples, havelis and residences of important people were huge and majestic made of iron or strong wood. An attractive front door of a haveli reflected the personality and status of the family.

The front door is considered as the mouth of the “Vaastu Purusha”. So the front door in a home should be large and inviting. The ideal height for a door should be approximately three times its width. The main door should be larger than the other doors opening into a house.
      Vaastu recommends more open space in the north and east to enable the pleasant morning light and constant light from the northern side to permeate the house. Thus it is advisable that the main entrance is either in the north or in east. But it’s not a hard and fast rule.
      Designing and placing the main door and frame is an essential part of a building construction hence adapting the right dimensions, material and position ensures that the house is not deprived of good energy which would in turn affect the occupants over a period of time.
      The fourth side of the door frame which rests firmly on the floor represents the element composed of fulfillment, wholesomeness and stability, so a main door frame which is four sided is considered very good and is even better if it has windows on either side. But nowadays due to even marble flooring, only three sided frames are fitted instead of old type of Chokhat.
      The main door should have two shutters and open to the inside of the building. Teak is a good material for the entrance door. It is best to have two entrances to a house. The exit door should be smaller than the entrance, and it should have only one shutter. If there are two external doors for the house, they should not be set in a straight line.
      The main door of the house should not be below ground level. Neither should the main door be in the centre of the house, nor in the extreme corners. The main door should not be situated across from the main door of another house. The entrance doors of two houses should not be exactly opposing one another. Neither should two houses share a common entrance.
      If the entrance of the house is to the south, there should be no balcony or verandah in front of the door.
      It is good to set gates to both the property and the entrance to the house on the north or east sides. It is also better to have the main door on the west wall. It is not advised to have the main entrance on the south side.
      There should not be any abandoned, wrecked buildings in front of the main entrance. Avoid having an underground tank, septic tank under the main entrance because in case the tank has to be opened or cleaned, it can be very inconvenient if it is right in front of the main door.
      It is pleasing to decorate entrance with pictures or statues of Laksmi, Ganesh or Kuvera and auspicious signs such as OM or the Swastika or the any religious icon as per one’s faith and religion as it is better to see some pleasant images instead of just a plain door. Inauspicious pictures like sword or dogs should not be on the door.
      The main door should have a threshold as it will prevent ants and other pests from entering the house. should not be kept in front of the door, but towards one side.
      The door should not be slanted, sliding, or circular.
      It is preferable to have two doors, an entrance and an exit door. However, the exit door should be smaller than the entrance door. The fresh air entering into the house through the entrance, will go out through the exit and thus be forced to pass through the rest of the house, thus allowing the house to breathe.
      Doors should be planned to ensure good circulation of air but three doors in one straight line should be avoided.
      The main door should open inside and clockwise. If the door swings open in a clockwise motion, you use your left hand to open the door for the guests, thus enabling you to guide them in with your right hand.
      Doors that creak indicate bad workmanship and that the door hinges are not well oiled. The main entrance door should be fixed on an auspicious day as per Muhurat after performing Vaastu puja. Traditionally the labour or contractors still demand yellow laddoos from the owners while installing the main door of the house. Sweets bring happiness in labour and yellow symbolises auspiciousness.
      — The writer is a Chandigarh-based Vaastu consultant. Readers can send their queries at realestate@tribunemail.com
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Expresso
    Let me acquaint you with some useful Vaastu tips to bring good luck to your home sweet home.

Kitchen is undoubtedly a vital part of any home. According to Vaastu, the kitchen should ideally be located in the South-East, the direction of God of Fire. If that looks a bit difficult, you can also move your kitchen in the North-West.

A bedroom located in the North direction would lead to unrest in the family. It should always be in the South. Indeed, direction of your bed also matters a lot. Try to place your bed in such a way that your head is towards the south. Also, beware not to sleep with your legs towards the south.

And, the East direction is considered to the best one for the bathroom.

Hope you all like the tips……

Thank you so much for such a interesting information.
    This information will very useful for the people who are planning to buy house...
    CommentQuote
  • Hello Experts,

I've booked the unit-12 attached (South facing but builder is ready to change the Main door to make West facing). Can you please take a look and let me how is Unit-12 with respect to Vaastu. Other is Unit-1 which looks more feasible with Vaastu. Please have a look at the floor plans and request to do let me know your inputs/advices.

I'm interested in Unit-12 since it is having two sides (NE) open. Unit-1 has SE open but one more builder has constructed flats very closely so air circulation will not be that good. Thanks in advance guys..

Thanks
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Folks/Real,
    any feedback on the attached unit-12 & 1 in the above post? suggestions awaiting, thx!!
    CommentQuote
  • Please help RA/Vastu Experts

Hi Realacres/Vastu Experts,
    Please guide me regarding Vastu for the attached flat layout.
    The flat is on 8th Floor and the adjacent flat(Towards North Side) is a refuge flat. Is that a problem (i.e having refuge flat on North side).
    I have already booked it.

After going through all your posts i understood the following wrt the attached flat Layout.

Problem Areas are:-
    - Small Cuts in NE and SW corners - Is that Ok? Any remedy for this.
    - Small Bedroom falls behind the entrance - Is that OK/not ok.....Any Remedy for this
    - Bramhasthan have Beam, Wardrobe and Refrigerator. Is it Fine?
    - Can the small room on East side be used as Study Room/ Children's Room/Guest BR and Puja room according to requirement?
    - What should be the location of Shoe Rack - At the Flat Entrance, Outside the House and Which corner?
    - Toilets on North side - Any remedy

Is Vastu for Individual room is important or Flat is IMP.

For example - Take Small Bedroom ( Which Lies behind Enterance and we are planning to make it as Puja Room/Childrens Bedroom-Study Room/ Guest Room as per need). Now for this single room should we consider N,E,S and W sides. i.e Puja corner in NE of this room. Bed in SW of this room etc.
    The small room entrance is NW. If we modify it and shift to SW is that ok.( to swap the position of Dinning/Sitting arrangement in Living)

Also planning to put a common Wash Basin in NW portion of Living Terrace.
    Washing Machine on NW Portion of Dry Balocny.
    Regarding Godrej Kapat (Valuables) in which room it should be placed, Master Bedroom/Parents Bedroom ( Sandwiched between Kitchen and MBR)

I have attached Tenatative Layout for Bed and other item locations.
    Please comment on it

If you find any other problems please mention it with remedies.
    Also please give some remedies for above mentioned problems.
    Also please mention the good points about the Layout.

Please Guide.

Regards
    Mahesh
    CommentQuote
  • Right direction of marital bliss

Living with vaastu by
    Madan Gupta Spatu
    Right direction of marital bliss

Mirrors facing the bed in a bedroom encourage infidelity. Larger the size of the mirror, more harmful it is to a marriage

Life becomes joyful and peaceful if your life partner is compatible and environment is congenial. Improper positioning of some items or direction may cause unpleasantness in married life. Vaastu principles can act as a catalyst in improving the marital life.

A proper balance, brings joy, smoothness, minimises problems in relationships etc. Balance the five elements (earth, water, fire, air and space) in your home because each of these five elements is associated with each direction.

Keep bedroom in the south-west of the house.
      Avoid bedroom in south-east as this is a fire place. It may lead to the clashes between the couple.
      Place bed in the southwest portion of the bedroom. Avoid placing bed in northern and eastern zone of the bedroom. It may cause mental stress and financial instability.
      Keep head-side of the bed in south direction.
      Use wooden bed instead of a metal bed. Metal beds are for hospitals only.
      Always build square or rectangle bedrooms which bring peace and love in life. Avoid round shaped beds.
      Paint walls in light shades like purple, green, light blue, rose pink. Avoid red colour in bedroom.
      You can paint one wall in a dark shade and the one opposite it in a lighter one.
      Place kitchen appliances/objects like gas and sink that represents fire and water respectively properly. You should place gas in south-east and water in north-east or north.
      Keep money in the northern or eastern area of the house as it is an important part of life.
      Do not use northeast bedroom in case you are newly-wed couple.
      Never place the bed under a beam. It may cause bad effect on health.
      Avoid mirror in married couple's bedroom. It may lead to quarrels between the couple.
      Avoid computer and TV in bedroom as they will reflect like a mirror. If you place TV and computer in bedroom, cover these with a cloth at night.
      Ensure that the under ground water tank is not in the south-west direction.
      Avoid paintings that symbolise death, violence and negative aspects of life. Do not display photos of late parents in bedroom.
      Growing creepers/climbers with support on the compound wall or a house wall are best avoided.
      Instead of dry flowers keep fresh flowers by the side of bed.
      You can keep gem tree or Kalp Vriksh with multi-coloured stones in bedroom.
      Vaastu for love life suggests, placing lampshades with pastel coloured lighting in the south-west of the bedroom.
      It's important to make sure that the northeastern corner of the bedroom is clutter free. . Floor plants, white flowers in the northern corner and red roses or purple flowers in the south-west corner assist in improving relationships.
      Water bodies inside the house should always be placed as per the vaastu norms. Improper placement can lead to serious marital problems.
      The writer is a Chandigarh-based Vaastu consultant. Readers can send their suggestions/queries at realestate@tribunemail.com.
    CommentQuote