Vaastu Shastra - Tips

Vaastu Shastra is based on the principle of eight directions for proper implementation of the energy sources.
Experts practicing Vaastu Shastra recommend adhering to certain guidelines or tips for successful implementation of the ancient science.

Share you knowlegde - 'tips on Vaastu' with the real estate fraternity.
Read more
1782 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by IndianFarmer
    We purchased a farmhouse plot some years back, and only later realized that one edge appeared cutoff. As shown in the attached image, the South-East corner of the plot is cutoff, giving it a somewhat L-shape.
    To remedy this, I believe we would need to place a fence or construct a wall to make the plot rectangular. Is this correct?
    If so, which of the two options (full line or dotted line) should be used to correct the shape.
    Would really appreciate any help from forum members on this.

Yes, by making the plot regular in shape will be the best solution. Will be very good in long run.
    Apart from this, check the following :-

> See if the owner South of your plot is interested in buying that plot, if yes, sell it off,

> If not, you will get open space in South & SW. Here, you need to plant Ashoka trees & have the compound wall atleast 1.5 ft higher than other walls, especially than that of North & East,

> Get a bore-well &/or under-ground water tank in NE. This gives excellent results. Placing tulsi plant in NE is also very auspicious,

> Ensure that the slope of plot is from SW to NE, i.e. SW at highest area, NE should be lowest. If this is not the natural case, remove/fill soil wherever required. You can even simply take out soil from North & East of your plot & dump it in West & South,

> Have entrance gate in NE part, but not in exact corner.

Apart from this, if you retain the part of additional plot in SW (if it can't get sold), ensure that you put atleast 2 sq mm copper wire (a copper plate will be better) below 1.5-2 ft in land towards South. This will cut the impact of the extension of land in SW. This should be ideally done even if you construct a compound wall as this SW land will be owned by you.

** PS (General Info) :- Never sell your land part towards North, East & NE. Infact, if you need to buy adjoining plot, it has to be towards East or North direction only. Don't buy adjoining plot towards West & South.

Again note that this is only for adjoining plot, if there is distance between 2 plots & 2 plots are separated by other plots, then one can buy them.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by RahulJha
    Hi realacres,

wanted your view on following option that I am exploring in under construction flat:-
    - It’s a 3BHK flat at 2nd floor with 3 bathroom, I want to convert the common bathroom(8X5) located at east side to a puja room. But not sure if this is a good idea to do that as flat above & below with have bathrooms as per building plan.

Let me know your view on this.

Thanks
    Rahul

Spot on. Avoid doing such things, especially when it relates to pooja room.
    One should imagine themselves staying in bathroom or kitchen when they put pooja room here. Seen some cases, where people put pooja room in balcony/terrace in NE !!

Pooja room can be placed in following areas :-

North-East,
      North,
      East (only upto centre of East & not SE).

When you have these options, why have pooja room in bathroom or kitchen ?
      And you can keep the bathroom in East & use it purely for bathing. Bathroom in East is good, only when toilet comes in, its bad.

And you can keep the bathroom in East & use it purely for bathing. Bathroom in East is good, only when toilet comes in, its bad.

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Yes, by making the plot regular in shape will be the best solution. Will be very good in long run.
    Apart from this, check the following :-

> See if the owner South of your plot is interested in buying that plot, if yes, sell it off,

> If not, you will get open space in South & SW. Here, you need to plant Ashoka trees & have the compound wall atleast 1.5 ft higher than other walls, especially than that of North & East,

> Get a bore-well &/or under-ground water tank in NE. This gives excellent results. Placing tulsi plant in NE is also very auspicious,

> Ensure that the slope of plot is from SW to NE, i.e. SW at highest area, NE should be lowest. If this is not the natural case, remove/fill soil wherever required. You can even simply take out soil from North & East of your plot & dump it in West & South,

> Have entrance gate in NE part, but not in exact corner.

Apart from this, if you retain the part of additional plot in SW (if it can't get sold), ensure that you put atleast 2 sq mm copper wire (a copper plate will be better) below 1.5-2 ft in land towards South. This will cut the impact of the extension of land in SW. This should be ideally done even if you construct a compound wall as this SW land will be owned by you.

** PS (General Info) :- Never sell your land part towards North, East & NE. Infact, if you need to buy adjoining plot, it has to be towards East or North direction only. Don't buy adjoining plot towards West & South.

Again note that this is only for adjoining plot, if there is distance between 2 plots & 2 plots are separated by other plots, then one can buy them.

Thank you so very much, Real Acres!
    I have incorporated some of your tips on the attached drawing, but still somewhat unclear on where to plan the house. Can the house still be in the SW corner after I make the plot rectangular? It is not possible to sell this part (SW corner), since it belongs to the same survey number as the rest of the plot. What would be the best location for the house in this scenario? I've read that the SW corner is good, but in my case, the SW corner is extended. That's why the dilemma.
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
    Here what you need is not Vaastu help but Legal help !!
    Just go to the builder, get a correction deed done & shift to better available flats in this project. When time is on your side, why opt for remedies, especially when it relates to NE ?

Thanks RealAcres!

Could you please take a look again at the plan and suggest which flat would be a better choice considering major factors? I am attaching the plan again below. The North direction would be marked as --> N on the below diagram.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Thanks,
    Himanshu
    CommentQuote
  • Initial ideas on floor plan for construction, and questions

We are planning to build on a north facing 1 ground plot. We are planning a Ground + 1, with a mezzaine floor over the car parking area.

Ground Floor:
    ---------------

- Covered 2 Car Parking area in North West. This will have pillars sticking out on the north west. (Reason for choosing car park on North West is to keep the North East open)

- Borewell on North East

- Sump on North East

- Overhead tank: on South West (on terrace)

- Tulasi on North East

- Front door for house in north east quad

- Pooja room in north east quad

- Kitchen in South East

- Bedroom in South West

- Stairs on West

- Servant Toilet on South East (outside the main building)

Mezzanine Floor:
    -------------------

This is a floor over the cark parking area. This room we plan to make it a child room. This is on the north west.

First Floor:
    ------------

- Master Bedroom on South West

- Meditation Room on North East

- Home Office Room in South East

- Another Child room on the East

Floor over Mezzanine Floor:
    ------------------------------

We will get another room here which we plan to make the guest room (this will again be on the North West).

A couple of questions:
    -------------------------

1) Keeping the servant toilet on the South East will require us to make a cut in the main building on the south east. Is that okay per Vastu?

2) Keeping the car parking on the north west and the mezzanine floor and floor over mezzanine floor on the north west may make that part of the building protude out a bit. Is that acceptable?

3) What is a good location for the home office. Is South East okay?

thanks.
    CommentQuote
  • Vaastu advise

Hello realacres,

I find this thread really useful for the people who are new to vaastu.
    Thanks so much for your valuable suggestions that is helping other people. Need your expert eyes on the floor plan of the apartment. Attaching the layout. Please refer the one marked by blue rectangle. (since the image has been created by mirroring another image , hence the letters appears crazy!. But this is the exact plan). Kindly advise,

thanks,
    John,
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Hi Realacres, please suggest if it would be okay to go for the flat ... need your advise

Thanks,
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by IndianFarmer
    Thank you so very much, Real Acres!
    I have incorporated some of your tips on the attached drawing, but still somewhat unclear on where to plan the house. Can the house still be in the SW corner after I make the plot rectangular? It is not possible to sell this part (SW corner), since it belongs to the same survey number as the rest of the plot. What would be the best location for the house in this scenario? I've read that the SW corner is good, but in my case, the SW corner is extended. That's why the dilemma.

The house has to be in SW only but not in this extended part. It has to be on right hand side of the orange line which you have drawn. In short, after you make the plot proper rectangle, the area in SW of this plot needs to be used to build house.

As far as copper is concerned, it has to be exactly on the orange line which you have drawn. Consider entire orange line as copper plate.

In this extended SW area, apart from ashoka trees, have landscaping in such a way that there are lot of rocks, which shall make this area the most heaviest & highest level in entire plot. Ensure though that there should be no water present here, some put rocks & create waterfall which is bad as water & SW don't go hand in hand.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Himanshudv
    Thanks RealAcres!

Could you please take a look again at the plan and suggest which flat would be a better choice considering major factors? I am attaching the plan again below. The North direction would be marked as --> N on the below diagram.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Thanks,
    Himanshu

Unfortunately, if we find good NE, there is issue with SW & Entrance alongwith location of bedrooms, if we get proper location of rooms & entrance, NE is affected. :(

Frankly speaking, not seeing a single flat in this entire layout which can be recommended for buying. Is there some other building apart from this one ? If yes, please put floor plans of that here, we can see if better option is available.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by shravanam108
    We are planning to build on a north facing 1 ground plot. We are planning a Ground + 1, with a mezzaine floor over the car parking area.

Ground Floor:
    ---------------

- Covered 2 Car Parking area in North West. This will have pillars sticking out on the north west. (Reason for choosing car park on North West is to keep the North East open)

- Borewell on North East

- Sump on North East

OK.

- Overhead tank: on South West (on terrace)

OK, but ensure that this tank doesn't come exactly above the master bedroom in SW. One should not sleep below such tank as it leads to stress. The effect is similar to that of sleeping below a beam.

- Tulasi on North East

- Front door for house in north east quad

- Pooja room in north east quad

- Kitchen in South East

- Bedroom in South West

OK.

- Stairs on West

Best to have them on West wall in SW quad. In anycase, ensure they don't get into NW. It has to be from SW-West, other option is South.

- Servant Toilet on South East (outside the main building)

Servant room in SE is good but there should be no toilet/bathroom here.

Mezzanine Floor:
    -------------------

This is a floor over the cark parking area. This room we plan to make it a child room. This is on the north west.

OK.

First Floor:
    ------------

- Master Bedroom on South West

- Meditation Room on North East

Ok.

- Home Office Room in South East

Not good. Have it in West, that too on ground floor.

- Another Child room on the East

OK, as long as s/he is kid.

Floor over Mezzanine Floor:
    ------------------------------

We will get another room here which we plan to make the guest room (this will again be on the North West).

You mean this room above child room ? Then this is bad. The higher floor rooms should be occupied by owner/his family. Though NW guest room is correct, it has to be below child room. But if this happens, there will be 2 floors in NW, which will make NW tallest/highest area of the house. Please update on this part.

A couple of questions:
    -------------------------

1) Keeping the servant toilet on the South East will require us to make a cut in the main building on the south east. Is that okay per Vastu?

No, it is not good, even if there had been no cut, toi/bath in SE is big NO.

2) Keeping the car parking on the north west and the mezzanine floor and floor over mezzanine floor on the north west may make that part of the building protude out a bit. Is that acceptable?

What is this bit ? If it is 3-4 ft, then it can be ignored, if it is 6+ ft, then its not good.
    More than protrude in NW, my worry is this should not lead to cut in NE. Also need to see if North is also getting cut due to this. It would be better if you draw the plan & upload here.

3) What is a good location for the home office. Is South East okay?

thanks.

SE is bad, West is preferred, that too in such a way that there should be wall behind your back & you should sit facing North. The cupboards should be on South/west wall of this room.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by cutejohn
    Hello realacres,

I find this thread really useful for the people who are new to vaastu.
    Thanks so much for your valuable suggestions that is helping other people. Need your expert eyes on the floor plan of the apartment. Attaching the layout. Please refer the one marked by blue rectangle. (since the image has been created by mirroring another image , hence the letters appears crazy!. But this is the exact plan). Kindly advise,

thanks,
    John,

Major flaws here :-

> The flat or rather entire building is in sub-direction which aren't good,

> The entrance is SE facing, again bad as this burns out good opportunities,

> The bedrooms are in N-NE, which leads to problem with progeny & women are particular are hit with head related probs, common one is migraine.

Then there are other issues too, but the above ones are enough for you to avoid buying this flat. Infact, in this entire building, not a single flat is worth purchasing. Look for some other projects, you will find better ones.
    All the best. :)
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks realacres for your reply!

Comments below. Your original replies are followed by ">":

>OK, but ensure that this tank doesn't come exactly above the master bedroom in SW. >One should not sleep below such tank as it leads to stress. The effect is similar to that >of sleeping below a beam.

OK, I see your point. However, as this is a small plot, the bedrooms on the floors below will likely occupy the entire SW quad. In that case, it may not be possible to ensure that the overhead tank is in the SW quad, but doesn't come above a bedroom. Then, I assume that we just make sure that the tank is not exactly over the points where we sleep, but could be over other parts of the bedroom? Or any other location for the overhead tank? Can it be on the North East?
    > Best to have them on West wall in SW quad. In anycase, ensure they don't get into NW. > It has to be from SW-West, other option is South.

Again, as the Mezzanine floor (i.e for using the space over the car park) is on the north-west, I don't think that we can avoid the steps in the NW quad, as the access to the higher floors will be via the Mezzanine floor. Is that acceptable?

> Servant room in SE is good but there should be no toilet/bathroom here.

Where would you suggest the servant toilet then. We don't have space for a servant room other than a toilet. So it would just be the servant toilet.

With regards to an office on the SE part of first floor, you had mentioned:

> Not good. Have it in West, that too on ground floor.
    >SE is bad, West is preferred, that too in such a way that there should be wall behind >your back & you should sit facing North. The cupboards should be on South/west wall of >this room.

The ground floor is already too cramped with the car park and the living area and the kitchen and bedroom. Thus, it will need to be on the first floor. I don't get any visitors to the office. Hence, if the reason for suggesting ground floor was visitors, that is not an issue. What is a good location on the first floor? Again, west side of first floor may be difficult as we have less room on the first floor west as compared to the east. The west side might only be able to accommodate a master bed room and a common toilet.

> You mean this room above child room ? Then this is bad. The higher floor rooms should
    > be occupied by owner/his family. Though NW guest room is correct, it has to be below
    > child room. But if this happens, there will be 2 floors in NW, which will make NW >tallest/highest area of the house. Please update on this part.
    Yes, I meant guest room (floor above mezzanine floor) above the child room (mezzanine floor) on the NW side (above the car park). We could swap the location of the child room and guest rooms. However, it might take more effort for the child to go up and down. The child might also feel better being closer to the main floor. We wanted the floor above the mezz floor to be infrequently accessed (and hence thought a good fit for the guest room).

Yes, the topmost floor on the NW part will be the tallest living space, unless you consider the height of the water tank on the SW, which might then make the SW part taller.

> No, it is not good, even if there had been no cut, toi/bath in SE is big NO.

What is a good location for the servant toilet then?

> What is this bit ? If it is 3-4 ft, then it can be ignored, if it is 6+ ft, then its not good.
    > More than protrude in NW, my worry is this should not lead to cut in NE. Also need to
    > see if North is also getting cut due to this. It would be better if you draw the plan & >upload here.
    I don't have a plan yet. I need to give my vastu requirements to an architect who will then draw up the plan. Hence, the questions to get clarifications on the vastu part.
    Not sure how much the pillars (and the mezzanine floor, and the floor above that) will protude in the north/west quad on the north side.

Thanks.

The ground floor is already too cramped with the car park and the living area and the kitchen and bedroom. Thus, it will need to be on the first floor. I don't get any visitors to the office. Hence, if the reason for suggesting ground floor was visitors, that is not an issue. What is a good location on the first floor? Again, west side of first floor may be difficult as we have less room on the first floor west as compared to the east. The west side might only be able to accommodate a master bed room and a common toilet.

> You mean this room above child room ? Then this is bad. The higher floor rooms should
    > be occupied by owner/his family. Though NW guest room is correct, it has to be below
    > child room. But if this happens, there will be 2 floors in NW, which will make NW >tallest/highest area of the house. Please update on this part.
    Yes, I meant guest room (floor above mezzanine floor) above the child room (mezzanine floor) on the NW side (above the car park). We could swap the location of the child room and guest rooms. However, it might take more effort for the child to go up and down. The child might also feel better being closer to the main floor. We wanted the floor above the mezz floor to be infrequently accessed (and hence thought a good fit for the guest room).

Yes, the topmost floor on the NW part will be the tallest living space, unless you consider the height of the water tank on the SW, which might then make the SW part taller.

> No, it is not good, even if there had been no cut, toi/bath in SE is big NO.

What is a good location for the servant toilet then?

> What is this bit ? If it is 3-4 ft, then it can be ignored, if it is 6+ ft, then its not good.
    > More than protrude in NW, my worry is this should not lead to cut in NE. Also need to
    > see if North is also getting cut due to this. It would be better if you draw the plan & >upload here.
    I don't have a plan yet. I need to give my vastu requirements to an architect who will then draw up the plan. Hence, the questions to get clarifications on the vastu part.
    Not sure how much the pillars (and the mezzanine floor, and the floor above that) will protude in the north/west quad on the north side.

Thanks.
    CommentQuote
    The house has to be in SW only but not in this extended part. It has to be on right hand side of the orange line which you have drawn. In short, after you make the plot proper rectangle, the area in SW of this plot needs to be used to build house.

As far as copper is concerned, it has to be exactly on the orange line which you have drawn. Consider entire orange line as copper plate.

In this extended SW area, apart from ashoka trees, have landscaping in such a way that there are lot of rocks, which shall make this area the most heaviest & highest level in entire plot. Ensure though that there should be no water present here, some put rocks & create waterfall which is bad as water & SW don't go hand in hand.

Thanks a ton, Real Acres! Understood completely.
    Just as an alternative, since a SW location for the house on the new rectangular plot may be difficult, would it be ok to fence the Eastern extension (instead of SW extension) to make the plot rectangular? The thick orange line indicates this on the attached image.
    If we can do this, is there any particular requirement for the eastern extension? Is it okay to cover this area, for instance, with a greenhouse or a shed? Can we use this area as a regular piece of land, to grow crops/vegetables?
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Pls Suggest me some Vastu tips to be done on Depawali.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by planner
    Pls Suggest me some Vastu tips to be done on Depawali.

Bomb fodo.
    CommentQuote