Vaastu Shastra - Tips

Vaastu Shastra is based on the principle of eight directions for proper implementation of the energy sources.
Experts practicing Vaastu Shastra recommend adhering to certain guidelines or tips for successful implementation of the ancient science.

Share you knowlegde - 'tips on Vaastu' with the real estate fraternity.
Read more
1782 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Everyone has a right to believe what they choose. But you should not try to put down people who disagree.

One data point for you to check: did anyone hear about alleged vastu shastra before the 1970s? Ask among your friends or relatives who are old enough about whether they had heard about vastu shastra when they bought or constructed their houses.

In those days people checked directions to judge practical aspects like light and wind estimates. No one said anything about bad energy and anything bad happening to the occupants.

The current avatar of this alleged vastu shastra with negative energies and effects is an invention of the 1980s.

Do check with your friends and relatives to assure yourself.
    CommentQuote
  • The old vastu shastra was simply guidelines to construct temples and plan cities. It never said anything about bad/negative energies or effect.

Try doing research with open mind and only refer original texts, not a book written by a modern joker.

For exafor example if you get a reference for any claim, check it. If it references a modern text. Ignore it and check the references in that book till you find a reference to an original text ... The one written at least 300 years ago. Since vastu shastra is 'ancient' you should be able to find such original references right?

Do the research. You will be surprised by what you find.
    CommentQuote
  • The logic is simple ... If vastu shastra makes a claim and it is ancient, the claims must be traceable to an old original text.

The modern vastu practitioners were not born with the knowledge nor did they receive enlightenment by sitting under a tree nor do we have guru shishya pqrampara of strict oral transition.

Ergo, you should be able to trace each rennet/claim to an original old text.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chennaireal
    Dear Experts,

Need your esteemed Guindance. I know only the very basic things in Vasthu and i need your help in finalising a flat. I am attaching the floor plan with my choice of flat marked in green color.

The only thing that concerns me is the entrance door is slighly towards South East corner and from what i could read online from various sites South East entrance brings in bad energy inside the whole house.

Kindly review the plan and let me know if i can go ahead and book it. Its a 2.5 BHK flat in First floor. There are two 40" and 30" roads nearby.

This is the first time i am attaching in image.. dont know if it gets displayed properly...

Thanks in advance.

Just entrance in SE is not the problem here. Other issue is kitchen in NW & toilet in North.
    Overall, the layout shown by you is not good for all-round progress in life & most efforts go in vain with ample of misunderstandings within the family as well.
    It would be better to avoid this flat.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by AK2007
    Attached is the layout for two flats - the N is as marked (towards left). The plot is South facing (main road on the right side - as it has stilt parking, entrance to the building is broad - across the whole width with typical multiple iron gates).

First pass, the one in North looks better to me - however, this has limited windows - anything else to review/consider? Impact of South facing plot?

Underground water tanks - on east side.

~A

Location of common toilets in both the flats is very bad. In one flat, SW has major cut with bedrooms oriented towards North, while in other, the toilet as said before & the major or rather almost absence of North-NW is critical issue. Hence, better to avoid either of these flats.

As far as plot is concerned, it does matter but good or bad, the impact is distributed amongst all the residents equally, so it should not be of major concern, unless there is septic tank in NE or centre of the plot.

Nevertheless, the flats themselves are not positive, hence drop them & scout for something better. All the best.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sudhashbahu
    The logic is simple ... If vastu shastra makes a claim and it is ancient, the claims must be traceable to an old original text.

The modern vastu practitioners were not born with the knowledge nor did they receive enlightenment by sitting under a tree nor do we have guru shishya pqrampara of strict oral transition.

Man, I don't know what your intent is. But here are some details which you can confirm yourself :-

Vaastu Shastra is a part of Vedas, which are believed to be four to five thousand years old. The art of Vaastu originates in the Sthapatya Veda, a part of the Atharv Veda. Sthapatya Veda, dealing with the architecture. We can find many references in Vedas, Puranas and other subsequent literature.

Shelter is the one of the basic need of every living being. We build house for our living and to live a peaceful, happy and healthy life. A house or any building constructed as per Vaastu Shastra ensures maximum benefit to the habitant.

A structure built on a piece of land is known as "Vaastu". It has been derived from the word "Vaas" which means "to live". It's practice started with Vedic period. Our ancient saints have concluded that anything living or non-living in the universe is made up of five basic elements or Panch Maha Bhut.

Now, it is not possible for all to study entire vedas, so what learned people have done is shortlist the chapter from these Vedas which deals with Vaastu. It is as simple of that.
    Hope this clears the doubts.
    :)
    CommentQuote
  • Extremely sorry ameet, wonder how I missed your post.

Originally Posted by ameetwalia
    Since the fountain was leaking returned the same

hunting for a better one

Good. In the meantime, what you can do is place a 'Kalash' with water in it. Ensure that kalash should be of copper or higher metal but not steel or glass. Change the water on daily basis. Other option is to take big bowl & put some flowers in it, real or artificial & change this water too on daily basis as this is stagnated water unline fountain where it flows.

I was a little concerned of a coloumn in the centre of the house

For this, as you can't remove it, till then a small remedy would be to place mirrors on all the sides of the column, i.e. cover entire column with mirror. This will give an impact as if column doesn't exists at all. Also, place a bright white light in this area & get the ceiling painted in pure white. This is more of remedy & won't rectify the problem 100% but surely it will be better than to have nothing.

Let me know if you have more queries.
    Cheers.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sudhashbahu
    The logic is simple ... If vastu shastra makes a claim and it is ancient, the claims must be traceable to an old original text.

Ergo, you should be able to trace each rennet/claim to an original old text.

i am completely agree with you. this is ancient science based on directions, Light and air.And every claim have a sensible explanation.
    i have had very bad experiences with vastu experts. these peoples are money minded and not born with knowledge.

And heard one statement from a vastu expert "if you believe in vastu then it will affect you more than the one who don't believe"
    It is same for all then why it will be having diff effect on believer/ non believers.

i would say, modern vastu is becoming superstition for high class and educated peoples.

You should ask vastu experts, if he is suggesting something then what is sense behind it.
    True vastu expert should know it and not just say because its in books or AISA HI HAI or HOTA HAI.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Man, I don't know what your intent is. But here are some details which you can confirm yourself :-

Vaastu Shastra is a part of Vedas, which are believed to be four to five thousand years old. The art of Vaastu originates in the Sthapatya Veda, a part of the Atharv Veda. Sthapatya Veda, dealing with the architecture. We can find many references in Vedas, Puranas and other subsequent literature.

Shelter is the one of the basic need of every living being. We build house for our living and to live a peaceful, happy and healthy life. A house or any building constructed as per Vaastu Shastra ensures maximum benefit to the habitant.

A structure built on a piece of land is known as "Vaastu". It has been derived from the word "Vaas" which means "to live". It's practice started with Vedic period. Our ancient saints have concluded that anything living or non-living in the universe is made up of five basic elements or Panch Maha Bhut.

Now, it is not possible for all to study entire vedas, so what learned people have done is shortlist the chapter from these Vedas which deals with Vaastu. It is as simple of that.
    Hope this clears the doubts.
    :)

RA, the atharva Veda does not have any part or portion called sthapatya Veda. I challenge you to show a reference to any scholarly translation of the atharva Veda that has the alleged section. This is just an example of how vastu jokers have tried to create legitimacy for their ware by trying to associate with respected text. Most Indians don't bother to check things for themselves.

Do you know why sthapatya Veda does not have any entry in wikipedia? It was deleted by editors because no one could offer any genuine reference to origin of so called part of the atharva Veda. The link now directs to maharishi vastu architecture which is a very recent creation. Even that does not say that residents will face negative events if the vastu is not correct.

The keypoint is that there is no valid text that says Anything about negative energies or negative consequences. Now a days you don't even have to bother so much even for practical aspects like natural light and ventilation. We have lights and fans that can counteract any natural deficiency.

Concluding, you should also stay away from anything that harps on five elements or panch Maya bhut. These were old (and incorrect) principles. We know much better now about elements, atoms and molecules.

Old people without sufficient scientific knowledge thought that water is the most abundant liquid and so all liquids must contain water. We know now that this is not true.

We must accept the fact that not everything that is ancient is correct.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear RA,
    Thank you for the reply
    Bought a New Fountain and is sitting pretty in North East :)
    Thank you for the centre coloumn remedy
    Will do the needful & keep you updated
    Regards
    Ameet
    CommentQuote
    Location of common toilets in both the flats is very bad. In one flat, SW has major cut with bedrooms oriented towards North, while in other, the toilet as said before & the major or rather almost absence of North-NW is critical issue. Hence, better to avoid either of these flats.

As far as plot is concerned, it does matter but good or bad, the impact is distributed amongst all the residents equally, so it should not be of major concern, unless there is septic tank in NE or centre of the plot.

Nevertheless, the flats themselves are not positive, hence drop them & scout for something better. All the best.

Thanks RA for your reply. Though I have not bought the flat, but still am at advance state of discussion - so little tricky to drop out (however not impossible) and hence want to understand the impact to see if I need to really drop the idea.

I am going for the one on the North side flat (& this is for investment - and not personal residence - at least nothing more then few days in between rentals) - from your comment it seems there are 3 issues:
    1. Common bathroom in North - not much that can be done once purchased.
    2. SW cut - again there is staircase here - not much that can be done really.
    3. Bedroom facing north - do you mean the direction the door opens? In which case nothing can be done - if bed direction, then it can be changed however.

I looked at multiple flats - these days it seems every flat has some part cut - what to do? Are there some better cut Vs other? How much does it matter if the property is for rental - do I still drop this?

there is nothing on NE of plot - will check for center. What I saw was boring and water tank in east (if plot divided in 9 squares).

As a summary, based on what you have seen, how would you rank the North flat for investment on a scale of 10 (10 being perfect).

thanks again.

~A
    CommentQuote

I went thru past ~200 replies of yours - and based on that now understand background of your recommendations and why it may not be best place to stay/invest.

Appreciate you reviewing the plan.

~A
    CommentQuote
  • Hello RA,
    Need some advise related to a different project. There is a large plot (attached pdf - page1) facing North.

PLOT SPECIFICS:
    Refer PDF attachment - The plot is actually on a T (reversed) - blue road show is base of T - however the other road which forms the 2nd side of T is very broad and covers complete width of the plot (that is it is not on NE or NW - but complete across the 65+ feet width of plot). Further, the plot itself is very long 265ft with NE corner extending out by 16feet or so. (attached is Google image). On the NW corner (inside the plot itself) there is a high voltage electricity transformer (occupying 6ftx6ft) that cannot be removed as this is installed by local electric company. The plot is more or less evenly levelled but at least 3 feet below the street level as it used to be agricultural land long ago. Currently all around there is boundary wall.

BUILD PLAN:
    The plan calls for building just the front part of the plot - along the road - for either one large or multiple smaller shops. As the transformer is already on the NW, the main gate to the plot would be on the NW side only - 7ft away from the NW edge and about 14ft wide. The shop(s) would be built on a raised platform right after this (3ft platform above road level) - 45ft wide and 20ft depth. The two options being considered are either building this platform/shop right along the slanting side of road (like Page 3) or to first make the plot rectangle and construct along the front rectangle side (which would mean 16ft setback on NE - page 2). There is no plan to develop any other part of the plot in near future. For shops, possibly it could be one large restaurant or one restaurant and 2-3 smaller shops.

Now the queries

1. Is there a problem with the plot because of being on T? If yes, what should be done?
    2. Is it better to build right along the road side or should the plot be first made into a rectangular and then shop built along this new side. (Page 2).
    3. What would be ideal location for water boring, water tank, toilets (which would be commercial style to support restaurant), septic tank. Currently limited town water supply also comes from NE corner – electricity supplied from North.
    4. Where should the restaurant kitchen be located (assuming just one shop - 45x20 feet).
    5. If there are 2 other shop with restaurant, any preference of which side the restaurant should be?
    4. As majority of the plot would be vacant, the SW corner of plot would be 'light' and 'open' - should that we something to worry about? If yes, what are the possible options?

As most of the architects do not follow as detailed Vastu principles as you recommend, would prefer to get your inputs and then have a proper plan prepared that can further be reviewed.

Appreciate your inputs.

~A
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Dear RA,

Was going through entire post of this forum. I admit i became fan of your knowledge and your through reply to needy people in this forum.
    I am very sure many of us who are novice to Vastu Sastra got benifited by your knowledge.
    Not many people in todays world really have time to look into and help other people concerns!
    I really appreciate you deeply! Good work buddy! please keep it up!

I am also novice to vastu sastra, hence wanted if you could review my flat which I am living for last 3.5 years.
    have attached the floor plan of the apartment complex.

1.Mine flat is type-C
    2.main road and main gate is in West side of apartment complex and both north side and south side of complex has big empty plots. East side has two story building. Overhead water tank is on topmost 7th floor of building on North side above staircase. ground water boring is also done in North side of ground floor.
    3.main entrance is in NE side of my flat i believe!
    4.i am using SW room(10'7"X15'7") as Master bedroom
    5.a small pooja room is made in extreme SW corner of SW bedroom.
    6.we mostly use toilet which is in North side.
    7.kitchen is in south and cooking stove is on west side of kitchen wall and we cook facing west,sink is in SE corner of kitchen.
    8.NW room is used by unmarried girl of my family and NW toilet cum bathroom is rarely used.
    9.SE room is mainly used by guests.
    10.TV and decorative drawer is palce on east wall of drawing room.

I also have a big confusion, wether my falt's NE corner is half cut as lift is there or i should consider that NE corner is fine but SE corner of my flat is extended?

Request you kindly if you could find some time for analysis of my flat's vastu and share you thoughts please!
    Kindly highlight good/bad points also and remedies if possible for better improved life please, as this is our only house and really difficult to change.

Thank you once again for you time and help!
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Hello all,

The details informed by members here (AK2007 & skumar12345) need some detailed calculation. Will do that & post it here ASAP.
    CommentQuote