RE Discussions for Singapore Based NRIs

Last updated: 2 days ago
288 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : RE Discussions for Singapore Based NRIs

Originally posted by Magadh_Pride View Post
    I am not a great believer in bank FDs as it barwly covers inflation so you are actually losing money in real terms.

Speaking of eqiity/ MF in India, Have you guys considered investing via the MFs in USD/ SGD - there are a few popular options like Blackrock and Vanguard.

Why or why not?
    I thought about this initially when I came to Singapore. But personally I find it very difficult to keep track of multiple markets. Also, MF needs to be for long term which I can't hold.

I have few questions for u guys:

- what are your thoughts on FCNR deposits for NRIs?
    - how much should be contingency/emergency fund one should have in SG? for a couple - no kid,
    Considering health insurance covered.
    - best way to hold USD in Singapore? DBS allows deposit in other currencies but returns are very low.

Comment

Originally posted by arvindabhay View Post
      I thought about this initially when I came to Singapore. But personally I find it very difficult to keep track of multiple markets. Also, MF needs to be for long term which I can't hold.

I have few questions for u guys:

- what are your thoughts on FCNR deposits for NRIs?
      ***** Depends on the currency you deploy in, but anyway better than keeping in SG savings bank while avoiding the INR depreciation risk. In the end it depends also wjat your consumption currency is going to be.

- how much should be contingency/emergency fund one should have in SG? for a couple - no kid,
      Considering health insurance covered.
      ***** 3 months salary? What do others think.

- best way to hold USD in Singapore? DBS allows deposit in other currencies but returns are very low.
      ***** If you do not like the USD denominated bonds or money market funds then the DBS multiplier account is one option.
      Inline comments
      Last edited January 2 2016, 09:57 PM. Reason: quote formatting

Comment

Originally posted by Magadh_Pride View Post
        I am not a great believer in bank FDs as it barwly covers inflation so you are actually losing money in real terms.

Speaking of eqiity/ MF in India, Have you guys considered investing via the MFs in USD/ SGD - there are a few popular options like Blackrock and Vanguard.

Why or why not?
        There where do you invest man? People are talking about doomsday scenario, equity crashing, re crashing etc. At least FD, even if it doesn't beat inflation it preserves your capital. If you staying abroad and making big money, then there is no need to beat inflation. It is only the poor people who live hand to mouth have to worry about inflation.

I have invested in Singapore domiciled unit trusts, before. But then MFs are for long term and I find that I can't think of long term in unfamiliar markets. There is currency risk also India return 8% risk free. These foreign markets can return only 4% and still it will be considered great because here inflation is low. In India the only risk is currency going down, but so far it is only up well and with oil prices low. As long as oil is below $60, INR is remain a strong and outperforming currency.

So keep it simple, keep converting to INR and book NRE FDs.
        Last edited January 3 2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Like Magadh_Pride; mentioned earlier, i think it finally boils down to final consumption currency.

I have plans to go back to india in near future so i prefer to convert to INR whenever possible.

The early exit option in foreign currency are very less.

Lately i am thinking to have some USD positions - around 5%.
          Last edited January 3 2016, 08:39 PM. Reason: User tagging.

Comment

So within the limited brainpower of this group India and Indian Rupee debt is the best option.

If the rest of the world agrees and cant think of any better options, then the upcoming Rupee masala bonds should be super duper successful.. lets see

Comment

Shocking! SGD is now 1.44 to the USD!

Comment

Is this something to do with China ? Is CNY and SGD correlated?

Comment

Originally posted by revhappy View Post
                  Shocking! SGD is now 1.44 to the USD!
                  1.45 was the projection for December'15 in June, even before the Chinese devalued CNY in Sep/Oct..

So at least there is something which the analysts got right :O

Comment

1.35 to 1.41 movement was around August. Then it moved recently from 1.41 to 1.44. Both events point to China stock market rout.

Comment

SGD past 47 to INR. Good time to bulk remit or further meltdown projected?

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X