RE Discussions for Singapore Based NRIs

Last updated: 4 weeks ago
291 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : RE Discussions for Singapore Based NRIs

Originally posted by miketest View Post
    What's the best way to land up a job in Singapore for an it guy? Or someone with experience in tour packages booking?
    Hey Mike
    Long time no see? Got too busy or got bored?

Rohit

Comment

Originally posted by miketest View Post
      What's the best way to land up a job in Singapore for an it guy? Or someone with experience in tour packages booking?

To go abroad, Singapore or anywhere there are only 3 ways:

1) Join an Indian IT company and hope that they will send you onsite.

2) Post your CV on Naukri.com and pray that some overseas consultant will hunt you and pull you.

3) Take a tourist visa go to that country and apply for jobs.

4) This is not applicable for Singapore, but some countries you can apply for PR while you are in India and then go there to look for a job. eg Aus & NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by rohit_warren View Post
        Hey Mike
        Long time no see? Got too busy or got bored?

Rohit
        Lots of stuff happening around me. Waiting for things to settle down.

Comment

Originally posted by revhappy View Post
          To go abroad, Singapore or anywhere there are only 3 ways:

1) Join an Indian IT company and hope that they will send you onsite.

2) Post your CV on Naukri.com and pray that some overseas consultant will hunt you and pull you.

3) Take a tourist visa go to that country and apply for jobs.

4) This is not applicable for Singapore, but some countries you can apply for PR while you are in India and then go there to look for a job. eg Aus & NZ.
          Thanks for the quick reply. Point 1 is not possible right now because of personal reasons. Point 2 is not working. Point 4 is not valid for Singapore. So point 3 makes sense. Am I more likely to get a job if I am present there rather than applying from here?

Comment

It is possible but very tough, Indians get only 1 month visa which is further renewable for 1 more month. For western country citizens, they get 3 month tourist visa to Singapore, which is a good time to find a job.

So do it only if you have contacts and have networked well on Linked in. Connect to Singapore based recruiters and ask them if they have opportunities and tell them you can come for face to face interviews if needed.

If any of your previous colleagues/managers are now in Singapore, then connect with them. These days the best way to get a job is through reference only.
            Last edited May 23 2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Just to add to points from @revhappy, it also depends on your skills and sectors. In general, the IT wave is over in Singapore with many date centers now looking to shift out. (I assumed @miketest is from that sector)

There is a large anti foreigner sentiment here- getting to xenophobic proportions at times- especially again the IT Indians. A large part is due to the the floodgates for IT jobs which opened around the GFC when the jobs were created. My feeling is that the cycle has run its course

The focus now is to get people from new tech and services sectors like biotech, BI, big data and nano etc

Comment

Originally posted by Magadh_Pride View Post
                Just to add to points from @revhappy, it also depends on your skills and sectors. In general, the IT wave is over in Singapore with many date centers now looking to shift out. (I assumed @miketest is from that sector)

There is a large anti foreigner sentiment here- getting to xenophobic proportions at times- especially again the IT Indians. A large part is due to the the floodgates for IT jobs which opened around the GFC when the jobs were created. My feeling is that the cycle has run its course

The focus now is to get people from new tech and services sectors like biotech, BI, big data and nano etc
                Thanks for your guidance in this matter. Next few months are going to be decisive for me in many aspects.

BTW I applied for jobs with a few consultants and they replied back saying that they were usually looking for candidates like me but I have to be there for face to face interviews and they asked me to get in touch once I am in the country. So seems like to take a chance I need to personally call a few consultants rather than just dropping emails, tell them about my travel plans and request them to setup interviews for me in advance. Does that sound like a good plan?

Comment

Well as long as you come down with realistic expectations and catering for the downsides, you should be fine. Wish you the best.

Any reason why you are keen on Singapore over other locations?

I can definitely say that the best times for Singapore are probably behind. And there is pain in store ahead- especially with the upcoming elections.... [emoji20]

Comment

Originally posted by Magadh_Pride View Post
                    Well as long as you come down with realistic expectations and catering for the downsides, you should be fine. Wish you the best.

Any reason why you are keen on Singapore over other locations?

I can definitely say that the best times for Singapore are probably behind. And there is pain in store ahead- especially with the upcoming elections.... [emoji20]
                    India has been the same as it was 20 years ago and I have kind of lost hope here now. So want to relocate to some place with better quality of life.

Although I have always wished to live in New Zealand. Fell in love with the geography of this beautiful country at the age of 9 years while watching Sachin's mesmerizing inning of 84 against the hosts. Right now I have a 50-50 chance on the plate to relocate there BUT my parents are getting older every day and I do not want to stay very far away from them.

Singapore seems like the nearest best option where life is better and is only 6-7 hours away. My friends have been there and they speak highly of the same. Thats why I am thinking about it.

Comment

If you have the option of relocating to NZ, then go there. Atleast get a PR there and go and stay for the minimum period required to keep your PR and then come back to India so that you can take care of your parents.

Singapore is good for short term, but difficult to get residency and settledown here. Its only good as long as you have a job.
                      Last edited May 27 2015, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X